Tenant requesting couple hundred dollars rent credit after washer/dryer replacement

Tenant requesting couple hundred dollars rent credit after washer/dryer replacement

Newark, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 10 votes

I own a rental property in New Jersey and am a self-managing landlord. I would appreciate advice from other landlords, especially those familiar with NJ rentals.

My tenant's washer and dryer were unavailable for several weeks. I arranged for a technician to inspect the appliances, but the repair process became complicated and additional repairs were recommended. I ultimately decided to replace both appliances, and the replacement has now been completed.

The tenant is requesting a rent credit, saying they incurred several hundred dollars in laundromat expenses while the appliances were unavailable.

I understand the inconvenience. However, I am unsure how to handle the reimbursement request fairly. The tenant was able to use a laundromat during the repair and replacement period, and I would like to understand what other landlords consider reasonable in this situation.

There is also a separate issue: the tenant has been paying rent late and is asking me to waive late fees because of the laundromat expenses. I am unsure whether these should be treated as separate matters.

Before considering any reimbursement, I would want to review the laundromat receipts and understand the actual expenses incurred. I would appreciate advice on what documentation landlords typically request and how to handle receipts if there are questions about their accuracy.

For landlords in NJ:

  1. How would you handle this situation?
  2. Would you offer a partial rent credit, reimburse documented laundromat expenses, or take another approach?
  3. How would you handle the request to waive late fees?
  4. What documentation would you request before agreeing to reimbursement?
  5. Are there any NJ landlord-tenant rules I should be aware of regarding appliance repairs, rent credits, or tenant reimbursement requests?

I am not looking for legal advice, just practical experience from landlords who have dealt with similar situations.

Thank you.

0Reply
693 views

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1mo

    Well, you usually do not get receipts from a laundromat. What is the cost per load at the nearest location? How big is their family, how many loads approximately per week? It is PITA to lug everything there, sit around watching the machines spin, then bringing everything back, figure hour and a half runtime, plus transferring items and folding.

    It adds up, and is very inconvenient when you are used to having it available on site, and usually without needing to watch over it while the machines are running. I don't know why it would take "several weeks" to replace your machines, this is not rocket science. Most importantly however, is the simple fact that YOU provided the equipment to begin with. You are expected, as a LL, to maintain the premises as rented. This was a significant inconvenience, possibly made worse if they had small children to corral while doing a seemingly "simple" chore.

    Compensate them appropriately, but unless the equipment was unusable for MONTHS, they should not have more than one late fee due to the laundry issue. If a few dollars of laundry caused them to be short on rent, they likely have other issues, and probably are heading for more serious problems. You do not want to be accused of "retaliation", but be prepared to act swiftly and follow through to the letter the next time they are late. Require them to update and verify their income status prior to any renewal.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1mo
    I don’t own in New Jersey but we like to frame our leases that certain features are for their use but not guaranteed and do not impact habitability so no rent credits would be do. Items like a washer dryer, dishwasher, microwave…
    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    1mo

    This is another factor of using a PM that people like to gloss over. Someone should have been out to look at it the day they tenant complained, the next day at the latest if it was late in the day. That next day you should have had two options, $xxx to fix it or $xxx to replace it. Both of which of which would be completed that day. That means the tenant would have been without for 24-48 hours.

    “Doing it yourself” as a beginner maybe this could have taken 3 days, but not a week. Ps. How did both units die the same day? I don’t know how you’ll shop for a better appliance shop before you need another repair, but you should certainly start. Maybe ask other local landlords?

    As far as if you have to and how much you should compensate the tenants of there’s not a local landlords association you may have to ask a local lawyer or government. You don’t need to give away money, but you don’t want to end up facing a silly fine/fee/penalty for some local requirement to act.

  • Investor · Pacific Northwest · Member since 2026 · 538 posts · 307 votes
    1mo

    I’d keep the two issues completely separate.

    For the washer/dryer, first check the lease and confirm whether those appliances were provided as part of the tenancy. Then ask for the actual laundromat receipts and dates. If the tenant can document reasonable out-of-pocket costs during the period the appliances were unavailable, I’d consider reimbursing those actual costs—or some reasonable portion—as a goodwill resolution. I wouldn’t just hand over a couple hundred dollars as a vague rent credit without documentation.

    I also wouldn’t reimburse more than the reasonable cost created by the outage. If they normally would have spent money doing laundry anyway, the question is really what additional expense they incurred because your machines were down.

    Late rent is a different issue. If the lease provides for a valid late fee, I wouldn’t automatically waive it because they had laundromat expenses. Otherwise you’re mixing two unrelated accounting issues and making the record messy.

    One other thing: document the repair timeline. Technician called, repairs attempted, decision made to replace, replacement completed. That matters if this ever turns into more than a reimbursement discussion.

    NJ’s own landlord-tenant guidance focuses habitability remedies on defects affecting vital facilities or significant living conditions; it also says not every inconvenience constitutes a habitability breach. A washer/dryer situation can still depend on the lease and specific facts, so I’d be careful about conceding that the tenant is legally entitled to a rent abatement just because the machines were unavailable.

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1mo

    Are they on a month to month? Tell them you no longer provide washer/dryer.

  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1mo

    I would attempt to fairly estimate the cost to do laundry for this family at a laundromat and would also probably add an extra $20 week for transportation if you want to keep this tenant happy and have them feel appreciated. It sounds inconvenient, expensive and also took too long to fix if included in their lease. Agree to keep the late fee, which in this case I would not waive, out of this issue to avoid opening the door for negotiation on future late payments. 

  • Joseph ScoreseBusiness Member
    Banker · Philadelphia · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 633 votes
    1mo

    Ravi, I would treat the two issues separately.

    On the washer/dryer, assuming they were landlord-provided appliances and part of the rental arrangement, it sounds like you acted reasonably by sending a technician and ultimately replacing them when repairs became impractical. I would ask the tenant to provide actual laundromat receipts before discussing any reimbursement. I would not automatically agree to a credit of “several hundred dollars” without documentation showing the expenses and dates.

    If the receipts are reasonable, I might consider a modest reimbursement or rent credit as a goodwill gesture, particularly if the appliances were unavailable for several weeks. I would document in writing that the credit resolves the washer/dryer issue and is not an admission of liability.

    I would keep late rent and late fees separate. If the lease provides for a lawful late fee, the tenant’s laundromat expenses generally shouldn’t become an informal offset against rent. Mixing the two can create confusion about what was actually paid, credited, or waived.

    Since this is New Jersey, I would also review the lease carefully and speak with a NJ landlord-tenant attorney if there is any question about your obligations. Appliance issues can depend on what the lease provides, whether the appliances were included as part of the tenancy, and the specific circumstances.

    From a management standpoint, my approach would be simple: document the timeline, request receipts, determine what is reasonable, put any agreed credit in writing, and keep the rent/late-fee issue separate. Fair to the tenant, but also consistent and well documented for the landlord.

  • Member since 2026 · 72 posts · 30 votes
    1mo

    It really depends on the the municipality in New Jersey. Generally, in Hudson and Essex Counties, you may be responsible; depending on what was the issue. However, it's not worth the headache over a few hundred dollars. Meet them in the middle and see if that works for them. In the future, try to have these issues addressed in 24-48 hours. Generally speaking, if an appliance is over a 4-5 years old, it's cheaper to replace than to fix. Several utility companies in NJ also will give you a rebate towards a new washer/dryer.

    https://ipropertymanagement.com/laws/new-jersey-landlord-responsibilities

    It's not worth them withholding rent and you taking them to landlord - tenant court. If you are in a very tenant friendly county, you will lose on both the legal fees and rent. Just make a deal and meet in the middle.

  • Diana KhanPro Member
    Attorney · 10451 Mill Run Cir #755 Owings Mills, MD 21117 · Member since 2024 · 483 posts · 177 votes
    1mo
    Quote from @Ravi P.:

    I own a rental property in New Jersey and am a self-managing landlord. I would appreciate advice from other landlords, especially those familiar with NJ rentals.

    My tenant's washer and dryer were unavailable for several weeks. I arranged for a technician to inspect the appliances, but the repair process became complicated and additional repairs were recommended. I ultimately decided to replace both appliances, and the replacement has now been completed.

    The tenant is requesting a rent credit, saying they incurred several hundred dollars in laundromat expenses while the appliances were unavailable.

    I understand the inconvenience. However, I am unsure how to handle the reimbursement request fairly. The tenant was able to use a laundromat during the repair and replacement period, and I would like to understand what other landlords consider reasonable in this situation.

    There is also a separate issue: the tenant has been paying rent late and is asking me to waive late fees because of the laundromat expenses. I am unsure whether these should be treated as separate matters.

    Before considering any reimbursement, I would want to review the laundromat receipts and understand the actual expenses incurred. I would appreciate advice on what documentation landlords typically request and how to handle receipts if there are questions about their accuracy.

    For landlords in NJ:

    1. How would you handle this situation?
    2. Would you offer a partial rent credit, reimburse documented laundromat expenses, or take another approach?
    3. How would you handle the request to waive late fees?
    4. What documentation would you request before agreeing to reimbursement?
    5. Are there any NJ landlord-tenant rules I should be aware of regarding appliance repairs, rent credits, or tenant reimbursement requests?

    I am not looking for legal advice, just practical experience from landlords who have dealt with similar situations.

    Thank you.

    @Ravi P., one thing I’ve learned from working with landlords is that the amount of the credit is sometimes less important than how you document it. If you decide to give the tenant something back, I would keep it very clear in writing. I would state what the credit is for, the exact amount, when it will be applied, and that it is only related to the washer and dryer issue.

    I would also keep the late rent completely separate.

    I’ve seen problems start when a landlord and tenant begin mixing repair credits, late fees, unpaid rent, and other amounts together. A few months later, nobody agrees on what was actually paid or waived. So if you decide to offer a credit, I would make it a clean one-time agreement and keep your rent ledger very clear.

    Since this is New Jersey, I would still have a local NJ landlord-tenant attorney confirm what you are required to do under the lease and local law.

  • Alan T.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    1mo

    This can be an incredible inconvenience for some folks, I think as others alluded to, the actual mistake here is not being proactive. a) getting the issue fixed immediately and b) if for some reason it got dragged out, id proactively lead with a credit. That's just my style - but I think the second you put a person in a situation where they feel like they are wronged or owed, and (essentially) force them to make an ask - their going to ask for more or go further. i.e. a nicely written email apologizing, explaining the situation, and offering what you consider to be reasonable reduces a lot of the tension and risk.

  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 570 posts · 335 votes
    1mo

    I’d ask for the laundromat receipts first and work from the actual documented expense rather than offering an arbitrary rent credit. If the appliances were provided with the rental and were unavailable for several weeks, I’d be open to a reasonable reimbursement for what they actually spent, assuming the documentation checks out.

    I’d keep the late rent separate. The inconvenience with the washer and dryer is one issue; paying rent on time is another. I wouldn’t automatically waive late fees to offset laundry expenses. If I chose to reimburse something, I’d document that separately so there’s a clear record of what the credit was actually for.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1mo

    What does your lease state about appliances?

    Most experienced landlords have language in their lease that states, "Appliances are where-as and as-is".
    Which means, the landlord won't remove them if the tenant wants to bring/get their own appliances (where is the landlord supposed to store them?) and they are there for the convenience of the tenant, but the landlord is under no obligation to repair or replace them.

    Also check your state & local statutes to see what they require.

    All that being said, as a landlord you want to keep good tenants and get rid of bad ones.

    So, it's common for us to address appliance issues for good tenants, but we try to leverage it. We make sure the tenant understands we do NOT have to address the appliance issue, but are doing so because they are a great tenant. We will also often try to negotiate a lease extension in exchange for addressing an appliance issue.

    Tenants we don't want to keep we simply refer them to the lease language that states we don't have to do anything. Of course they get upset and threaten to not renew their lease - which is what we want anyways.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.