Are small landlords building better tools than they’re buying?

Are small landlords building better tools than they’re buying?

Rental Property Investor · Joliet, IL · Member since 2013 · 100 posts · 48 votes

There are some very good property management and portfolio tools on the market. My hesitation has always been the long-term subscription cost, especially when I may only need a small portion of what a larger platform provides.

Instead, over time I’ve built several tools around the specific decisions I make in my rental business.

Two that I’m particularly proud of are:

1. Market Intelligence Engine: Helps me collect and store data over time that is specific to my local market. I use that information to estimate market rents and identify changes in rental market conditions.

2. Rent Estimator: Helps me translate market information into a practical rent range for an individual property.

Neither is intended to replace property management or accounting software. They solve narrower problems that are important enough to my operation that I wanted a process tailored to how I make decisions.

Reading some recent discussions has led me to believe this is fairly common among small portfolio owners.

Have you built your own spreadsheet, AI workflow, database, tracker, calculator, or other tool that has become an important part of how you operate?

I’d be interested in seeing what other small portfolio owners have built and would be happy to share mine as well. I suspect there are some very useful tools being developed quietly by operators simply because the available software didn’t quite fit their process.

1Reply
199 views

Most Popular Reply

JD MartinBusiness Member
Moderator
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
11h

Feel free to discuss pros and cons of what you've all built, but do not share links or names of products in this thread unless you have no financial interest in them yourself or they are completely free to use without expectation of conversion to subscription or other payment. Members can contact other members on their own if they would like to share their for-profit systems with each other.

Skyline Properties
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Diana KhanPro Member
    Attorney · 10451 Mill Run Cir #755 Owings Mills, MD 21117 · Member since 2024 · 392 posts · 153 votes
    22h
    Quote from @Alison Robinson:

    There are some very good property management and portfolio tools on the market. My hesitation has always been the long-term subscription cost, especially when I may only need a small portion of what a larger platform provides.

    Instead, over time I’ve built several tools around the specific decisions I make in my rental business.

    Two that I’m particularly proud of are:

    1. Market Intelligence Engine: Helps me collect and store data over time that is specific to my local market. I use that information to estimate market rents and identify changes in rental market conditions.

    2. Rent Estimator: Helps me translate market information into a practical rent range for an individual property.

    Neither is intended to replace property management or accounting software. They solve narrower problems that are important enough to my operation that I wanted a process tailored to how I make decisions.

    Reading some recent discussions has led me to believe this is fairly common among small portfolio owners.

    Have you built your own spreadsheet, AI workflow, database, tracker, calculator, or other tool that has become an important part of how you operate?

    I’d be interested in seeing what other small portfolio owners have built and would be happy to share mine as well. I suspect there are some very useful tools being developed quietly by operators simply because the available software didn’t quite fit their process.

    @Alison Robinson, I've seen some of my investor clients build simple trackers for each property that bring together the ownership information, LLC, lease dates, insurance, and important documents. It may not be fancy, but once someone owns several properties, having one place to see what belongs to each property can be really helpful.

    I’ve also worked with investors whose portfolios grew faster than their paperwork did. They added properties or LLCs over the years, but some of the deeds, agreements, leases, or other records were still sitting in different places. Having a system that keeps those pieces connected makes it much easier when we need to review something or make a change. The tools people build around their own problems are sometimes the most useful ones. It also connects with the organization and legal side of the real estate work I do with investors. 

  • Investor · San Francisco · Member since 2026 · 15 posts · 6 votes
    18h

    I am one of the builders. I self-manage five single-family homes and ran everything on spreadsheets for years. It worked until receipts lived in my camera roll, rent tracking was a separate tab, and tax time meant a full weekend of forensic accounting. I tried the big landlord platforms and they were priced like I had fifty doors when I have five. So I built my own: per-property accounting, cash flow and P&L, receipt photos that auto-fill expense entries, Schedule E reports, Stripe ACH for rent, and a tenant portal for maintenance requests. It started as a tool for my own rentals and I eventually shipped it on the App Store. Honest takeaway from building it: the boring parts eat all the time. Receipt parsing edge cases and tax exports are where commercial tools quietly earn their money, so budget double the time you think for those.

  • Divin KanyamaBusiness Member
    Accountant · Seattle, WA · Member since 2025 · 282 posts · 93 votes
    15h

    @Alison Robinson This is a great example of building around the decisions that actually matter instead of paying for features you may never use. The real value is not only the rent estimate, but the history behind it—being able to see how local conditions and assumptions change over time. Many small operators probably have simple spreadsheets or workflows that outperform larger platforms for their specific needs. Sharing these tools and the thinking behind them could be incredibly useful, even if each owner ultimately adapts them to fit their own market and process.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Ft. Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 41 posts · 40 votes
    11h

    Hey Alison, yes. I had the same need to create something around my own workflow instead of adapting my workflow to someone else's software. I hated using QuickBooks because it wasn't landlord specific, so I built my own. It eventually grew as I added the things I actually needed as a landlord.

    I think there's real value in tools built by people who actually have the problem they're trying to solve.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    11h

    Feel free to discuss pros and cons of what you've all built, but do not share links or names of products in this thread unless you have no financial interest in them yourself or they are completely free to use without expectation of conversion to subscription or other payment. Members can contact other members on their own if they would like to share their for-profit systems with each other.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Member since 2026 · 43 posts · 10 votes
    1h

    The ones that last are usually the boring ones. A tracker with one row per open item, an owner, a next date and a status limited to a few set values beats a fancy dashboard nobody updates. The part people skip is history: log corrections as new lines instead of overwriting, so you can see later what changed and when.

    I'd build around a handoff or decision you keep dropping, and buy software for the parts where money or the law is involved, like rent collection and accounting.

  • Kansas City · Member since 2024 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    1h

    I find this to be an interesting topic. One, because it's now easier than ever to build your own tool(s) to meet your specific needs; and as you said it @Alison Robinson, to solve a narrower problem that's important to your operation. And real estate operators share a great deal of common problems; what I don't think they share as commonly is to what degree is something a problem for them and their operation. And two, because of this I'm not sure any software out there will ever entirely fit someone's individual needs. I had previously built a simple tool for a scaling operator who had started acquiring multifamily after doing LTR's initially. He started finding himself consistently getting surprised and having to react to lender covenant type issues, contractual type requirements and other critical obligations across his portfolio. I worked on the lender side for years; he knew how effective we were at tracking and identifying these things across a huge portfolio. He didn't have an effective way to see across his whole portfolio, in one simple view, and knew he had to be out in front of it before his lender might come calling. So the tool took all of this property by property and unified it; that visibility meant he was out in front of it going forward. That tool ended up morphing into a larger, but still simple, owner level platform that unified all of this information plus much more from an asset/portfolio perspective.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.