Residential Landlord · Greenfield, WI · Member since 2013 · 299 posts · 126 votes
I recently requested a rental application for a 4plex near mine, and on it it read "Adults Only Please" regarding showings.
I can't tell you how much I've always wanted to do this...I mean, you've just spent a boatload on freshening up your unit, and here are some kids running rampant through your place, dragging their hands on your freshly painted walls, banging cabinet doors, etc... It's happened to me plenty...Drives me nutz.
Is it legal to not allow children for showings? I might imagine that even if it is, you'd be discouraging potential tenants.
West Babylon, NY · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 3 votes
11y
I can understand why you wouldn't want children at the showing but I'm a single mother also and have been told no children in apartments I wanted to rent and it's very off putting
I can understand why you wouldn't want children at the showing but I'm a single mother also and have been told no children in apartments I wanted to rent and it's very off putting
Now that is discriminatory and violates the Fair Housing Laws.
Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
11y
Agree with Chris as to discrimination, agree with the general consensus as well. I remember about a 12 year old girl who had daddy wrapped around her little finger, she was excited about her having a large attic entertainment room as her bedroom area, jumping up and down. Oh please daddy! Of course he said okay! Done deal, thanks kid!
When I was moving around if by kids didn't like some place, not saying they had to be overly pleased, but if they had valid objections and really didn't like a place, we kept looking. I know most of this is about the 3,4,5 year olds, but older kids influence parents as the parent will be hearing about it.....the kids have to live there too. :)
Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
11y
I don't have a problem with children. I even let serious applicants bring dogs to showings. Yeah there are risks but nothing is 100% fool proof.
Did have a dog once wandered along the fenced backyard and peed at various spots I assume he was marking his territory.
Kids seem to be well behaved. The only issue was two kids playing hide and seek and was hidden in the closet, they did pushed a bifold door off its track and that was a clue for me to adjust it.
I would take @Dawn Anastasi 's premise one step further and say that kids are rarely bad, but frequently bored. When we show our SFH or units in our family oriented buildings, I bring a small childrens' table, colouring books, and crayons and have also brought a video game and, once a soccer ball (fenced back yard).
So you've never had a little kid take those crayons and color on the walls or the floor? I've had a kid grab the pen and start to color on the applications (because the mom set her up on the kitchen counter) so I can't imagine what they'd do with crayons.
I would take @Dawn Anastasi 's premise one step further and say that kids are rarely bad, but frequently bored. When we show our SFH or units in our family oriented buildings, I bring a small childrens' table, colouring books, and crayons and have also brought a video game and, once a soccer ball (fenced back yard).
So you've never had a little kid take those crayons and color on the walls or the floor? I've had a kid grab the pen and start to color on the applications (because the mom set her up on the kitchen counter) so I can't imagine what they'd do with crayons.
Only my own when he was two and decided to draw on his bedroom wall ... fortunately we painted his room using a paint intended for such abuse and the crayon wiped off easily. Crayons are waxy and clean fairly easily with warm water and soap.