Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Chris Heeren
  • Investor
  • Janesville, WI
Votes |
Tenant smoking and disrupting neighbors - what can I do?

Chris Heeren
  • Investor
  • Janesville, WI
Posted Nov 19 2014, 06:44

I bought a Triplex with an upper and 2 lower units early this year. Currently the upper tenant is enraged that his apartment constantly smells like pot. He has called the police and has messaged me many times that this needs to stop over the last several weeks. The 3rd tenant has also mentioned that they have been concerned about smelling pot but hasn't been as hostile about the scenario. Meanwhile I have warned the suspect person that there is a no smoking policy and that they would be evicted if this continued. However they have completely denied ever smoking and claims they do not know what the fuss is all about. All 3 tenants are great tenants (other than this fued) that pay on time and have signed yearly leases. What can I legally do to get out of this scenario? I would evict the person smoking, however I don't have any proof that would hold up. Keep in mind I live in WI where pot is illegal and we are nearing December which means longer vacancies and high utility costs. I'm curious if anyone has some advice on how to handle this scenario?

Loading replies...