The things we Landlords find.

The things we Landlords find.

Rental Property Investor · Lockport, NY · Member since 2014 · 119 posts · 109 votes

My tenant texts me yesterday to say he is finding small bugs in his bed and on the floor near his bed. My first thought is "bed bugs" but I have never seen or dealt with them so I do a quick search for images and ask him to send me some pictures. I can't confirm from pictures so I go over there.  He is a very clean single guy who keeps the apartment very nice. As we search for the bugs we move his bed and find he has a 25 pound bag of CRACKED CORN under there. Bugs covering the bag. They were not bed bugs.

 Ever find anything interesting?

2Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Boyd, TX · Member since 2014 · 688 posts · 467 votes
11y

Sounds like he plans on getting chickens or a good source of rent money.  Assuming he doesn't get busted.  Though 25 pounds of cracked corn won't last long for either...

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Boyd, TX · Member since 2014 · 688 posts · 467 votes
    11y

    Sounds like he plans on getting chickens or a good source of rent money.  Assuming he doesn't get busted.  Though 25 pounds of cracked corn won't last long for either...

  • Retired Landlord/Author · Commerce Township, MI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Tenant worked for the school system.  Paid rent on time.  Credit Check came out great.  Rented to her.  Three months later she gives notice and moves.  Husband and I went into the home after she moved and found the stairs missing, completely gone that leads upstairs to the bedroom.  I thought I was seeing things.  I had to stare at the missing stair case until it dawned on me they were actually gone.  Couldn't figure out why.  The next day when we went back to check things out again, the stairs were there.  (We had called the police to tell them that our tenant stole  our stairs.)  When the Police  came the second day, and saw the stairs were back, they told us that stairs are usually where druggies store their "stash".  

    I rented to an older gent, who I called "Dear Martin".  He got into everything.  He was retired and bored.  He monkey'd around with the upstairs tenants electricity, gas furnaces, and more.  He was a "hoarder".  We evicted him because there was so much "stuff" in the house that it was like a maze.  No furniture just boxes, bags of diapers, some used, Yuk, and food half eaten such as fish, and more.  The weirdest thing we saw was a long red hair wig hanging from the shower stall.  It reminded me of the movie "Psycho" for some reason.  We pulled back the curtain and saw this wig staring us in the face, along with other unmentionable things.  He was single but did have a woman friend, but she was an old homeless woman who by the way,  he brought to court telling the Judge this was his mother who I was evicting.  (His mother had passed away many years ago)

    We found dead dogs  left behind in our homes, starved to death.

    We found a boa constructor....creepy since the house was pitch black in darkness when we went in to check things out.  Click on flash light....Hello Boa!

    Found new $4,000 furnace missing. 

    Water heaters gone

    Siding on some of our non-brick homes missing

    A woman who worked in the accounting office of the police station who we had to evict left us human poo poo in her bedroom.  Was too big a pile for a dog.  And 40 bags of garbage

    Had a couple who wanted to turn our home into a funeral parlor and use the basement for embalming. 

    Found a naked squatter in a rental that we were fixing up.  Another Detroit Story called "Pulling our weapons"  My husband entered through the front, I entered through back. Show down time!!!

    Oh, well.....too many to mention. 

    Nancy Neville

  • Contractor · Franklinville, NJ · Member since 2013 · 183 posts · 86 votes
    11y

    When I purchased my duplex, I walked in and it looked like a bomb went off in a goodwill store. Clothes and such where everywhere.  There was one of those fur lined hood jackets in my walking path so I kicked it out of the way only to find out it was a dead cat. My legs instantly turned black from the fleas jumping onto me.  I ran outside and stripped down to my underwear. The neighbors got a good laugh im sure.

    Just did a clean out from a squatter and found more porn than I thought was possible to fit in that little building.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    11y

    Some similar threads:

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/81/topics/1395...

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/41/topics/8140...

    There might even be more; newer people on BP think they have a topic idea that hasn't been visited before and might not search to confirm first. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Lockport, NY · Member since 2014 · 119 posts · 109 votes
    11y

    @Steve Babiak Sorry.  I wasn't trying to infringe on any copyrights. Just sharing. With 147k discussions my guess is 97% of new posts have been brought up before ;) Thanks for the info.

  • Investor · Hampton Roads, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 418 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed 

    Damn... Guns blazing with your husband.  I'm impressed lol 

  • Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
    11y

    I am always amazed at the porn found, usually in the basement on top of the cold air return (in case you wanted to look). I bought a single family home with a couple magazines and an old VHS. My most recent was a six unit property. As I was running electrical for the new storage units I was building down there I found 2 "Cherry" magazines circa 1982. Razers must have been expensive back then....

  • Investor/Accountant/Builder · Meno, OK · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 918 votes
    11y

    how about finding that the tenant was using a set of battery jumper cables attached to the overhead electrical wire and wired  into the breaker box in order to bypass the electric meter. Amazing they didn't burn down my house. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    11y

    OK, I will make a fresh contribution.  Found a photo developed from film printed on photo paper of a male's private parts; the tip had what appeared to be a tattoo of a happy face on it.  One of the guys doing the trash out had to take a pic of it because who would believe such a story :)

    @Arlan Potter

    @Arlan Potter - I once saw photos of an REO property where they had done that; it was being used as a grow house. So be glad your tenant wasn't growing anything ...

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @mark 

    @Mark Del Grosso I've found a box full of kittens. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.