What improvements do you make to your rental properties.

What improvements do you make to your rental properties.

General Contractor · Midland, TX · Member since 2008 · 160 posts · 24 votes

This has been asked before, but I want to ask the question with a bit of a spin. 

1-What is your favorite improvement you like to make to your properties to increase rent you can collect? (Made up example: I like to install a cupid fountain in the back yard because tenants will pay $50 more a month for cupid statues)

2- What is your favorite improvement you like to make to your properties to increase the durability of your property. (Made up example: I like to put diamond plate on the walls because that stuff in indestructible.)

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2014 · 109 posts · 79 votes
11y

My favorite "improvement" is a fresh coat of paint and clean.  Pretty simple but many rentals are dirty and not well taken care of.

In order to increase durability of a home is to paint the entire home with semi gloss paint.   Semi gloss paint will hold up a lot longer to cleaning and scrubbing.  I also find doing touch up paint with semi gloss matches better than a flat paint

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 102 posts · 41 votes
    11y

    Favorite improvement for increased rent is stainless steel appliances. So far I have had success from scratch and dent places or buying used. They quickly improve a kitchen a kitchen's look for about 200-300 per appliance. They also aren't very common in north Austin rentals. So I separate myself easily from other rentals. 

    Favorite durability improvement- tile or vinyl flooring. The main reason is that I just hate carpeting.  

  • Realtor · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2014 · 109 posts · 79 votes
    11y

    My favorite "improvement" is a fresh coat of paint and clean.  Pretty simple but many rentals are dirty and not well taken care of.

    In order to increase durability of a home is to paint the entire home with semi gloss paint.   Semi gloss paint will hold up a lot longer to cleaning and scrubbing.  I also find doing touch up paint with semi gloss matches better than a flat paint

  • Rental Property Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2012 · 788 posts · 640 votes
    11y

    VPF (vinyl plank flooring) the entire home.   Cleaner look and last much longer than carpet.

     
  • Investor · Hampton Roads, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 418 votes
    11y

    When I buy a place it's usually outdated.  I update everything.  It allows me to get a higher rent and cherry pick the best tenants.  To directly answer your question, laminate flooring (.68 per sq ft) always seems to be a winner.  I haven't tried the Allure stuff though.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 451 posts · 369 votes
    11y

    Granite countertops, for both increasing the rent & the durability. Obviously this improvement is typically only cost-effective in Class A properties.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    When it comes to residential (1-4 units) and small multi-family (5-10) we typically purchase distressed properties and perform a deep energy retrofit, with the result being units which operate 40 - 75% more energy efficient following the retrofit.

    While this does not necessarily increase the rent we can command, it has proved to decrease our turnover and vacancy - tenants stay longer and, when they leave, we often have word-of-mouth applicants before the unit becomes vacant ... just last month we had 5 inquiries and 3-applicants on a property we had yet to advertise.

  • Investor · Winnipeg, Manitoba · Member since 2013 · 303 posts · 321 votes
    11y

    @Roy N.

    your comment are extremely true to colder climates. 

    Renters always cried on the utilities cost in the long winter months; They cranked the heat so high & open the window for FRESH air, while it is -30C outside.

    Unfortunately most bills for this kind of tenants are picked up by Housing.

    Any normal person that has to earn a living by working hard will never have the mindset like that.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Tom Yung:

    @Roy N.

    your comment are extremely true to colder climates. 

    Renters always cried on the utilities cost in the long winter months; They cranked the heat so high & open the window for FRESH air, while it is -30C outside.

    Tom: 

    Students are known to do the same, which is why we never pay the utilities.

  • Professional · Noblesville, IN · Member since 2014 · 222 posts · 66 votes
    11y

    I like to take advantage of poor / outdated layouts in homes.  It's often quite easy to add a bedroom or bathroom or both.  Who uses dining rooms these days?  I like to blow out walls to make 'great rooms'.  I'm currently converting a 'utility room' into a full bath and moving the washer dryer to an enormous closet in the master bedroom upstairs.  The old kitchen was moved to the dining room and became a 3rd bedroom. A two bedroom one bath will be a three bedroom two bath in about a week!  While I'm at it, I'm putting in a 90% efficient furnace.  Total cost will be very low and resale and rent increses will be awesome!  Older houses are great candidates for these kind of changes.  I have four awesome projects doing this right now.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.