Using YNAB to run a rental business?

Using YNAB to run a rental business?

Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2012 · 34 posts · 12 votes

Is anyone using the software YNAB (You Need a Budget) to operate their rental business? We currently use Quickbooks, but it lacks the budgeting portion that I am finding more and more critical to mapping out our cashflow and expenditures. I already use YNAB for my personal finances and love it. However, I really don't want to do double entry to both QB and YNAB in order to add these features, so I am thinking of making a clean break. Would love to hear from others that may be doing the same. How do you structure YNAB for your business?

1Reply
326 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 4 votes
4y

Would anyone currently using YNAB for their Rental Property budget be willing to share their setup?  Here's what I'm thinking but I'm just having some trouble setting up the whole thing.

We have 2 rental properties, so I set up a category group for each property, each with the same budget subcategories:

Legal & Professional Fees (Includes things like inspections and appraisals, as well as any wire transfer fees at closing)
Advertising & Marketing
Property Management
Utilities
Mortgage Payments
Property Taxes
Insurance
Repairs & Maintenance
Vacancy & Collections
CAPEX
Security Deposits (Tied to a separate savings account as required by state law)

Then I have a General Category group with the following subcategories:
Travel
Software Subscriptions (Includes things like YNAB any any management software I use)
Printing & Office expenses (basically just printing, but I guess if I needed to buy supplies...
Legal & Professional fees (Such as my tax accountant and any legal consulting I may need)

Am I missing anything that you can see? I'm not going to take a home office deduction (frankly I don't currently have a stationary home; we work from the road), but how do you handle things like your mobile phone bill, Internet expenses, etc. that you use for business. I don't have dedicated lines for these types of things.

Any help and/or suggestions would be awesome!

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    Would anyone currently using YNAB for their Rental Property budget be willing to share their setup?  Here's what I'm thinking but I'm just having some trouble setting up the whole thing.

    We have 2 rental properties, so I set up a category group for each property, each with the same budget subcategories:

    Legal & Professional Fees (Includes things like inspections and appraisals, as well as any wire transfer fees at closing)
    Advertising & Marketing
    Property Management
    Utilities
    Mortgage Payments
    Property Taxes
    Insurance
    Repairs & Maintenance
    Vacancy & Collections
    CAPEX
    Security Deposits (Tied to a separate savings account as required by state law)

    Then I have a General Category group with the following subcategories:
    Travel
    Software Subscriptions (Includes things like YNAB any any management software I use)
    Printing & Office expenses (basically just printing, but I guess if I needed to buy supplies...
    Legal & Professional fees (Such as my tax accountant and any legal consulting I may need)

    Am I missing anything that you can see? I'm not going to take a home office deduction (frankly I don't currently have a stationary home; we work from the road), but how do you handle things like your mobile phone bill, Internet expenses, etc. that you use for business. I don't have dedicated lines for these types of things.

    Any help and/or suggestions would be awesome!

  • Maui, HI · Member since 2022 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Definitely following. Been using YNAB for years. We just set up a checking account for our first rental and am going to use YNAB before trying anything else. 

    Would be nice if those who posted many months ago give us an update on how things are going. Still using? Shortcomings? Thanks! 

  • Investor · CT · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 12 votes
    3y

    So I use YNAB for my 2 LTRs and plan on using it for the STR I'm closing on next week. I have a section for each property and then line item each needed category (mortgage, utilities, etc.) I have a general house fund for each address that I put all my expenses I plan to claim as write offs that aren't recurring like a new boiler. It's work well so far!

  • Rental Property Investor · Alpharetta, Georgia (GA) · Member since 2016 · 145 posts · 68 votes
    3y

    I have been usinging YNAB for about 3 yrs now and I would not go back to QB.  Its also easy to pull data out for tax purposes.  With tracking multiple properties, bank accounts and credit cards, it helps me stay on top of my cashflow.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.