Rental not renting

Rental not renting

Investor · Kittanning, PA · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 2 votes

I have had my duplex listed for about a month with little interest.  I looked at RentOmeter and I think i am right in the middle with the price.  I don't understand it; everyone is telling me it is the cold/snowy weather.  Here is my craigslist ad; please give me your thoughts.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/4912027290.html

Thanks

Jon

0Reply
127 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Playa del Carmen, México · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

@Jon Adams  First, I would put a phone number in the ad, using a Google Voice number pointing to voicemail. Some folks are fine with email, but I've found that many serious tenants want/need to talk to someone.

Also, I'd soften the tone. While you are wise to do both credit and background checks (as do we), there's no real reason to put it in the ad. The ad is the pitch, the seduction. Let's hear more about the "gorgeous flooring" or "oversized windows" or anything that places the reader directly in the home. Once they call, then you can lay down the law.

Lastly, I agree with @Elizabeth Colegrove that you should re-check your rental comps to make sure $650 is truly the market rate.

Best of luck! (I've been there and I know it ain't fun...)

See this reply in the discussion

65 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Los Gatos, CA · Member since 2014 · 226 posts · 89 votes
    11y

    Different angle:

    You have 49% renters in there, that is, you will have landlord competition for vacancies at any given time. The overall vacancy rate is not atrocious, 11% which tells you they rent fast for right price.

    You are in a low income area, median household is barely $36k/yr. 98% of the local residents didn't go to College, so you get an idea of the wages. 

    Schools are decent.

    Play with 3 different ads, $50 bucks apart. And yes, it's cold and snowy now. I have properties in Chicago, none rented until 2 weeks ago. None came to even visit or call in Jan :)

    As with any rental in a high renter area, they want the nicest on the block if they have plenty to choose from. I personally don't like your pics, low quality, lights are off, fireplace is dirty. When you take pics, take horizontal and make sure EVERY single light is on. Don't take them against window light etc etc.

  • Jeff G.Pro Member
    Investor · Wethersfield, CT · Member since 2013 · 371 posts · 191 votes
    11y

    @Jon Adams consider a lost leader like "free 40 (or 50) inch TV" with a 14 month lease. In some areas this approach works well. You'll get a lot more calls and the extra two months on the lease will recover the cost of the TV. That's my two cents.

    Let me know if you end up using this approach and how well it works for you.

  • Investor · Kittanning, PA · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 2 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Bogdan Cirlig:

    Different angle:

    You have 49% renters in there, that is, you will have landlord competition for vacancies at any given time. The overall vacancy rate is not atrocious, 11% which tells you they rent fast for right price.

    You are in a low income area, median household is barely $36k/yr. 98% of the local residents didn't go to College, so you get an idea of the wages. 

    Schools are decent.

    Play with 3 different ads, $50 bucks apart. And yes, it's cold and snowy now. I have properties in Chicago, none rented until 2 weeks ago. None came to even visit or call in Jan :)

    As with any rental in a high renter area, they want the nicest on the block if they have plenty to choose from. I personally don't like your pics, low quality, lights are off, fireplace is dirty. When you take pics, take horizontal and make sure EVERY single light is on. Don't take them against window light etc etc.

     Thanks for the input.  How did you find out all of this information about my area?  I think it is great!!!  As for the pictures you are right i took them with my Blackberry which as you can tell is not very good.  I will stop down tomorrow and retake the pictures.  Thanks again!

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Jon Adams you're getting great feedback from BP.  My input will most likely echo input you've already received.

    • Maximize the exposure to your property.  Craig's list isn't enough.  Post the ad everywhere, backpage, craigslist, zillow....  You can use POSTLETS to syndicate the add & have it posted in multiple locations.  You should also consider hiring an agent to market the property.
    • Improve the quality of the pictures you've posted.  
    • Remove language from you ad that appears to be discriminatory.  You can remain tough but you may be eliminating qualified candidates who are reading too much in to your ad.
  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 354 posts · 167 votes
    11y

    @Jon Adams 

    I have increased my volume of calls and emails by the use of Postlets. I had over 40 calls in a one week period in January. I used craigslist as well. I only had 4 calls from craigslist during the same time period. I have used Postlets for 2 units since November of last year and have had the properties leased within a week of posting. Don't ignore the use of Postlets - it works.

    Of course I am in a different rental market and results may vary.  Good luck!

  • Investor · Kittanning, PA · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 2 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Dan Perrott:

    @Jon Adams 

    I have increased my volume of calls and emails by the use of Postlets. I had over 40 calls in a one week period in January. I used craigslist as well. I only had 4 calls from craigslist during the same time period. I have used Postlets for 2 units since November of last year and have had the properties leased within a week of posting. Don't ignore the use of Postlets - it works.

    Of course I am in a different rental market and results may vary.  Good luck!

     Done!  Thanks for the advice.

    Jon

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 279 posts · 248 votes
    11y

    I'll second a lot of the advice here...

    Sign in yard. 

    I checked rental comps on Craigslist and you look priced well.  Your place also looks nicer than a lot of the competition!

    It's a bit far from the city so there's probably less folks looking there, may take some extra time due to area?

    Postlets as well as craigslist.  

    Weather does play a role.  

    Be patient, no matter how much it hurts.  Better to get a great tenant two months from now than a rotten tenant today.  It's a fact!

    I'd reconsider section 8 if I were you.  I have three great section 8 tenants, two of them have full rent subsidies and one is at 90%.  Direct deposit each month is wonderful.  You just have to vet them well (as in, in-home inspections before you let them lease your place).  

    I allow a small breed dog now, no cats and no dogs above 20lbs.  An extra, non-refundable pet fee of $50 and an extra $25 in rent gets you access.  I have two tenants on that plan right now.  

    Good luck, it'll happen!

    Best,

     - Chuck

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    It is cold and snowy and that may cause you some problems.  Another is you are too generic.  You are blending in. 

    So for the title add the half bath. People like that it will get  you more calls,  find something to distinguish the place 9 ft ceiling?  nice backyard?  close to something ? 

    A couple of issues with the ad,  is the standup shower in the basement?  I had to read it twice. I think not but I would take that out.  People expect a standup shower.  

    Things you haven't said and some you need to fill in the blanks-

    Hardwood floors, 9 ft ceilings? They know it has a kitchen so maybe say- eat in kitchen plus separate dining area.    Give the bedroom sizes. 

    Clean dry basement with 8 foot celings -great for storage....  does the basement have an outside entrance?

    Appliances included:  refrigerator,  brand new:  microwave, dishwasher and GAS stove. W/D hookup. Newly redone and well insulated/new windows for lower energy cost.

    Central Air

     Sorry no pets or smokers.

    We do not accept section 8. (this is legal in RI but maybe not PA)

    Asking $650.00 includes sewage and garbage, plus security deposit. Credit/Background checks.  1 year lease. ? what about water ? just say tenant pays gas heat? /water.

    Also add a picture of the backyard and if it looks good  show the basement.  You could put a link to full size pictures too. I don't  put the fee for the credit check in the ad.

    Most people can't read into the ad  the need you to get them excited about the features.

  • Investor · Hampton Roads, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 418 votes
    11y

    I don't know your area.  In mine, it's either price or lack of willingness to be flexible on showings that causes long vacancies.  

  • Investor · Kittanning, PA · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 2 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Colleen F.:

    It is cold and snowy and that may cause you some problems.  Another is you are too generic.  You are blending in. 

    So for the title add the half bath. People like that it will get  you more calls,  find something to distinguish the place 9 ft ceiling?  nice backyard?  close to something ? 

    A couple of issues with the ad,  is the standup shower in the basement?  I had to read it twice. I think not but I would take that out.  People expect a standup shower.  

    Things you haven't said and some you need to fill in the blanks-

    Hardwood floors, 9 ft ceilings? They know it has a kitchen so maybe say- eat in kitchen plus separate dining area.    Give the bedroom sizes. 

    Clean dry basement with 8 foot celings -great for storage....  does the basement have an outside entrance?

    Appliances included:  refrigerator,  brand new:  microwave, dishwasher and GAS stove. W/D hookup. Newly redone and well insulated/new windows for lower energy cost.

    Central Air

     Sorry no pets or smokers.

    We do not accept section 8. (this is legal in RI but maybe not PA)

    Asking $650.00 includes sewage and garbage, plus security deposit. Credit/Background checks.  1 year lease. ? what about water ? just say tenant pays gas heat? /water.

    Also add a picture of the backyard and if it looks good  show the basement.  You could put a link to full size pictures too. I don't  put the fee for the credit check in the ad.

    Most people can't read into the ad  the need you to get them excited about the features.

     Yes there is a stand up shower in the basement.  On the main floor there is an old coat closet that was converted into a toilet room.  So it really is not a half bath, but what would you call it, a 3.1.1?

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    Ok so it looks like you have a full bath maybe on the second floor,  a toilet and I hope a sink on the first floor, that would be 1.5   baths.    I would say for the shower in the basement in the text 1.5 bath  plus extra basement shower.   It makes it clear exactly what you have.  It is not a bathroom without a toilet really.  

  • Investor · Kittanning, PA · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 2 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Colleen F.:

    Ok so it looks like you have a full bath maybe on the second floor,  a toilet and I hope a sink on the first floor, that would be 1.5   baths.    I would say for the shower in the basement in the text 1.5 bath  plus extra basement shower.   It makes it clear exactly what you have.  It is not a bathroom without a toilet really.  

     The toilet room is just that a toilet with no sink and no room to put one in.  It is located just as you enter into the kitchen.  If you look at the kitchen picture I was standing in front of the toilet room door.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    So a bit of a odd setup but still extra bathroom fixtures. in that case I would not put it in the title.   I would consider adding a floor plan and show the toilet in the plan or say extra first floor toilet in the ad.   If any of the bedrooms is a first floor you could ad that too.  I would also put a container of those purell sanitizer hand wipes in the bathroom to suggest you that you don't have to walk to the kitchen sink to wash your hands.  Just to put the thought in their head.

  • Real Estate Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 14 votes
    11y

    Jon,

    Jon, from looking at the pictures and your description, it looks like you have 1 full bath (with tub) and a 3/4 bath in the basement (with shower) - so you have 1.75 baths.

    Jon, what has really helped me get my tenants from Craigslist is to add more than one close-by town (Redmond, Bellevue, Kirkland, Woodinville).  No matter what area they search for, my ad will pop up. By the way, I've had these tenants for 3-4 years in my 4-plex that I live in so they are my neighbors!

    Here we go:

    Charming 19??, Remodeled 3 Bed, 2 Bath Duplex Home (Kittanning, ?, ?, ?)

    Here is an example for you:

    "This beautiful, quiet, recently remodeled, 3 Bed 1.75 bath rental home is in a great location - minutes to schools, restaurants, entertainment, shopping, bus, employment".

    Jon, list the employment if you can - some people search by this as well.

    "The rental has the following:

    * Large 1,050 sq ft living space

    * Man Cave - Large 500 sq. Finished Basement with Shower

    * Forced Air Gas Heating - Real Money Saver for You! (Jon, if electric just mention Forced Air Heating)

    * New Quiet, Energy-Saving windows throughout

    * New Energy Efficient appliances to include Dishwasher, Refrigerator, Stove & Microwave.

    * Washer & Dryer hookups

    * Wood-Burning Fireplace

    * High-Speed Internet & Cable Hookups

    * Master Bedroom (King Size Bed sized); 2nd & 3rd Bedrooms (Queen Size Bed sized)

    * Utilities Paid: Sewer & Garbage

    Jon, what's the parking situation?  Garage?  Carport?

    CONTACT INFORMATION:

    * Jon - your phone number

    * $500 Security Deposit

    * Pet allowed on a case-by-case basis 

    Jon, I would reconsider have an animal or 2.  My tenants have 1-2 cats (no problems) and 1 dog, 1 cat (no problems)  You can get an additional $250/pet for pet deposit and add another $15-$20/month to the rent.  I do this and have had no problems.  If they have a small dog, and this would be 25 lbs or so, I actually meet the dog.  I can tell by the dogs' personality whether he gets regular walks; loving dog means loving owner. And, you have created a repore (sp!) with this person.  Ask them how they leave the dog home alone?  Is he/she in a large crate so they don't destroy the dwelling?  Etc.  Just get them talking.  There are some terrific and responsible animal owners out there.  Once the application is made, call their previous landlords and have them comment on "housekeeping" and any animal damage.

    For my area, I can get top rents because I rent to animal lovers.  They can have a max of 2 pets and I have no problems.

    Good Luck!

  • Investor · Kittanning, PA · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 2 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Patricia Newman:

    Jon,

    Jon, from looking at the pictures and your description, it looks like you have 1 full bath (with tub) and a 3/4 bath in the basement (with shower) - so you have 1.75 baths.

    Jon, what has really helped me get my tenants from Craigslist is to add more than one close-by town (Redmond, Bellevue, Kirkland, Woodinville).  No matter what area they search for, my ad will pop up. By the way, I've had these tenants for 3-4 years in my 4-plex that I live in so they are my neighbors!

    Here we go:

    Charming 19??, Remodeled 3 Bed, 2 Bath Duplex Home (Kittanning, ?, ?, ?)

    Here is an example for you:

    "This beautiful, quiet, recently remodeled, 3 Bed 1.75 bath rental home is in a great location - minutes to schools, restaurants, entertainment, shopping, bus, employment".

    Jon, list the employment if you can - some people search by this as well.

    "The rental has the following:

    * Large 1,050 sq ft living space

    * Man Cave - Large 500 sq. Finished Basement with Shower

    * Forced Air Gas Heating - Real Money Saver for You! (Jon, if electric just mention Forced Air Heating)

    * New Quiet, Energy-Saving windows throughout

    * New Energy Efficient appliances to include Dishwasher, Refrigerator, Stove & Microwave.

    * Washer & Dryer hookups

    * Wood-Burning Fireplace

    * High-Speed Internet & Cable Hookups

    * Master Bedroom (King Size Bed sized); 2nd & 3rd Bedrooms (Queen Size Bed sized)

    * Utilities Paid: Sewer & Garbage

    Jon, what's the parking situation?  Garage?  Carport?

    CONTACT INFORMATION:

    * Jon - your phone number

    * $500 Security Deposit

    * Pet allowed on a case-by-case basis 

    Jon, I would reconsider have an animal or 2.  My tenants have 1-2 cats (no problems) and 1 dog, 1 cat (no problems)  You can get an additional $250/pet for pet deposit and add another $15-$20/month to the rent.  I do this and have had no problems.  If they have a small dog, and this would be 25 lbs or so, I actually meet the dog.  I can tell by the dogs' personality whether he gets regular walks; loving dog means loving owner. And, you have created a repore (sp!) with this person.  Ask them how they leave the dog home alone?  Is he/she in a large crate so they don't destroy the dwelling?  Etc.  Just get them talking.  There are some terrific and responsible animal owners out there.  Once the application is made, call their previous landlords and have them comment on "housekeeping" and any animal damage.

    For my area, I can get top rents because I rent to animal lovers.  They can have a max of 2 pets and I have no problems.

    Good Luck!

     Thanks!!! I added some of the things that you suggested,  I really want to stay with no pets for a little longer.  If it still does not rent I will revisit that thought.  I have a showing on Monday!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Fenton, MI · Member since 2008 · 946 posts · 153 votes
    11y

    I just updated a thread I started.That house rented for $650 and it is a 2 bed.  Your house is GORGEOUS.  I have no idea why it is not renting.  DO not compromise on your no pet policy.  They will ruin those beautiful wood floors. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 14 votes
    11y

    Jon - Glad I could help...Best of luck on Monday - keep us posted!

  • Ronald PerichPro Member
    Investor · Granite City, IL · Member since 2014 · 658 posts · 301 votes
    11y

    When was the last time you renewed this posting? I'm asking because an update to the wording won't move it to the top of the list. If I had to guess, your listing is buried under seven days worth of postings.

    https://www.craigslist.org/about/help/repost

  • Ford City, PA · Member since 2014 · 50 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    Jon,  keep trying!   I had a hard to get to duplex in Ford City, un disirable in so many ways.   I just answered to phone every time and asked to set a time to show it to them.  I included water sewage and garbage (of course above my disired rent amount 425 + 90 for water sewage garbage 515 total rent) and had a contract signed, security deposit paid, utilities transferred into their name within 15 days of the previous tenant moving out.  It was also the week right after the New Years.

      I see the listing is in "Clay Hole" so it may be difficult to manuver the streets there.   I also didn't see and actual address, just a map point.  Postlets.com helped me out!

  • Real Estate Broker · Deland, FL · Member since 2014 · 83 posts · 24 votes
    11y

    Take as much pictures you can on your house including the outside. Craigslist allows you to upload 22 pics, use it. Show as much of the rooms you can in your pics. The pics your using are narrow doesn't show much. As a renter I would think your trying to hide something and I'll lose interest to call you. Show more of the front of the house, the side views of the house, and the "backyard". Show pics of the street the house resides on. 

  • Mark AinleyBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Roselle, IL (Chicago Suburb) · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Jon Adams Marketing on Clist is all about the pictures and the heading I have realized.  I am not sure if you have an Iphone 5 or newer but there is a "pano" setting that makes regular homes look better.  See my clist post below for a property in a C+ area....we get alot of traffic daily because the pictures sell the place and the heading has the highlights such as "heat included".  

    http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/4918433418.h...

    Our office does about 15 rentals per month and alot of the traffic in the last 6 months has come from Trulia, Zillow, & hotpads which are all places that our listings go to once I list them in the MLS. We market all of our listings on the MLS because of the 40-50 other sites it ends up but in the end of the day we rent most of them without a second agent from all the traffic from the various sites. Not sure if you have an agent you can give $50 to just list it on the mls or if you are an agent yourself?

    We never use signs anymore because people are not sure what they are calling on when they call so you have to screen harder.   When they call off an ad they have been thru the tour of online pictures so they are already more interested.  I never like to advertise to the neighborhood vacancies either.    You don't always need alot of pictures....a good front pic and 3-5 solid interior will drive traffic...quality not quantity.  

    Also Clist is most effective if you run multiple ads multiple times per day for max exposure. That can all be done from the phone app nowadays! Maybe explore getting a VA to handle your postings?

  • Investor · Kittanning, PA · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 2 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jason Smith:

    Jon,  keep trying!   I had a hard to get to duplex in Ford City, un disirable in so many ways.   I just answered to phone every time and asked to set a time to show it to them.  I included water sewage and garbage (of course above my disired rent amount 425 + 90 for water sewage garbage 515 total rent) and had a contract signed, security deposit paid, utilities transferred into their name within 15 days of the previous tenant moving out.  It was also the week right after the New Years.

      I see the listing is in "Clay Hole" so it may be difficult to manuver the streets there.   I also didn't see and actual address, just a map point.  Postlets.com helped me out!

     Hey Jason, thanks for the post.  Yep it is in "Clay Hole" but the street getting in and around is not that bad at all.

  • Investor · Kittanning, PA · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 2 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Sergio Garcia:

    Take as much pictures you can on your house including the outside. Craigslist allows you to upload 22 pics, use it. Show as much of the rooms you can in your pics. The pics your using are narrow doesn't show much. As a renter I would think your trying to hide something and I'll lose interest to call you. Show more of the front of the house, the side views of the house, and the "backyard". Show pics of the street the house resides on. 

     Tomorrow will be picture day.  Thanks for the tip.

  • Investor · Cornwall On Hudson, NY · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    I'm in NY and it took me 2 months to find a good tenant. Showed it lots and had some interest but folks moving in Feb are usually not up to my standards...so I waited. We're renting it now to someone marginal but with a strong co-signer. Hope it doesn't turn out to be another learning experience. I place multiple ads and have multiple 1st pictures. I change the price in each ad so I can test what works. I do not list my rentals in MLS even though I am a broker and it is free for me. They bring me tenant s that just don't work out. Also I say Great landlord looking for great tenants. I ask them when they call "are you a great tenant?" If they hesitate .... I know to be on guard. Good luck dawn

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 386 posts · 218 votes
    11y
    Price is everything The market is talking.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.