Ceiling Fans in Rentals

Ceiling Fans in Rentals

Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 5 votes

Hi everyone!

I recently purchased a rental property in the Tampa Bay area.

The house did not come with any light fixtures. I was wondering if I should replace the lights with light fixtures or with ceiling fans (that have light fixtures).

PROS:

Could make the house easier to rent out

CONS:

Another thing to break in the house (especially since fans are mechanical)

What are your thoughts on this issue? Please advise

I want to thank everyone in advance for their time and help!

0Reply
155 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Century, FL · Member since 2015 · 950 posts · 603 votes
11y
Originally posted by @Michael Ding:

@Mr. DeRoest.

Do you put them in every room, or just the den and master bedroom as others have suggested?

Thanks!

Every room.

What people don't understand is that you can train tenants on how to get lower electricity bills (everyone enjoys lower bills). The less they pay in electricity, the more able they are to pay the rent. And fans can make a big difference in that. No one wants to live in a property that eats electricity either - we've been the beneficiary of that several times.

And fans cost nothing to run, whereas AC costs an arm and a leg.

Ceiling fan is running around 90W, central air is running around 3,500W, so for anyone to compare the two (lets say 6 fans running at high speed = 540W) is just ridiculous.

And in Florida, it's not that the fan replaces the AC, but it can delay the moment the AC finally gets called into play.

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 7 votes
    11y

    @Raymond B.,

    Look I did it - thanks for the help! Although, I'm a little embarrassed as gen Y'er that I wasn't able to figure it out on my own...

  • Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2013 · 254 posts · 28 votes
    11y

    Thanks for your post, it just reminds me that I have to ask  my contractor to remove the existing ceiling fan.  Guess I am probably the only person who does want want ceiling fans in my rental.

    As a landlord, my #1 priority is to reduce liability. One lawsuit can easily wipe out everything I have.  

    I am always worried that the ceiling fan was not installed correctly, last thing I want is for the fan to fall on my tenant's head. 


    A rental is a liability generating asset, there are a lot of things we can do to reduce our exposure, even something as basic as a ceiling fan. 

  • Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    I decided to stop installing ceiling fans because the tenants damage them by yanking the chain too hard when turning on the fan.  If I had a rental property in a warmer climate all year round, I would install them. But in the state of Virginia, we have all four seasons of the weather climate.

  • Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Mary Joe:

    Thanks for your post, it just reminds me that I have to ask  my contractor to remove the existing ceiling fan.  Guess I am probably the only person who does want want ceiling fans in my rental.

    As a landlord, my #1 priority is to reduce liability. One lawsuit can easily wipe out everything I have.  

    I am always worried that the ceiling fan was not installed correctly, last thing I want is for the fan to fall on my tenant's head. 


    A rental is a liability generating asset, there are a lot of things we can do to reduce our exposure, even something as basic as a ceiling fan. 


  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Aloha,

    I realize this is a very old thread that just got bumped, but it is also a good topic.

    Depending on your climate, fans can be very important for improving the comfort of your tenants any time of year, and are especially important for lower income folks that might not have, or be able to afford to operate, AC; or that are in older homes with high ceilings. Properly sized fans, operating properly (at move in, instruct the tenants on the method and purpose for changing direction of rotation to push hot air down, or pull cool air up) can dramatically improve the comfort level for very minimal operating cost. 

    I nearly always recommend fan/light combos to be installed in bedrooms and the main living space. NEVER in kitchens,bathrooms, and dining rooms, however! It is most important to ensure they are installed properly...you cannot just use a machine screw to attach to an existing ceiling junction box! You need to either use a machine screw WITH a nut to secure it on the inside (after checking the box itself is well secured to begin with); or a made for the purpose "joist ceiling fan mount"; or appropriate concrete anchors for a concrete ceiling. You also should never just run an exposed, decorative, extension to plug in power. Run surface mold properly, or additional circuits as recommended by a licensed electrician.

    The pull chain switches do get damaged occasionally, however I always make it a point at move in inspections to instruct Tenants on proper and careful usage (don't jerk the chain, gently pull it in a direction straight out from the opening, not down at a sharp angle, potentially breaking certain styles of light shades), AND that they will be responsible for repair. The pull chain switches are usually pretty easy to simply replace the entire pull switch on most models. A generic replacement switch usually is all you need. A competent person can change one in about 10 minutes after killing the power!
  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Recessed lighting in my opinion is one of the best ROIs. Its modern, adds plenty of light, and no moving parts. Although I have seen quality renters tell me they would like to have a ceiling fan. 

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.