• Investor
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
Nightmare tenant is leaving, but....

Corby Goade
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Posted Jun 3 2015, 05:12

I have a tenant that gave me their 30 day notice yesterday, which was cause for some serious celebration. Almost every interaction I've had with them over the last two and a half years ended with them threatening to sue me (dryer isn't working, "we're going to sue." Coming to fertilize the lawn; "this is our home and we don't want you here, if you show up, we'll sue.") Of course, they've never actually sued, because they have no idea what they're talking about.

So, I told them that I would be showing the house over the next month, and the lease allows me to have reasonable access without permission to show the house within 45 days of them giving notice. I've told them that I would give them at least 48 hours notice, and they've told me that they'll sue if I don't pay them $50 each time I show the house, because they are worried that I will show the house to a registered sex offender. But I guess It's okay to have a registered sex offender in the house if they get $50? Obviously I will show they house, and give them the notice that I promised I would.

My concern here is that I don't believe they will be gone on July 2nd, as their notice requires. I will have a new lease in place and new tenants ready to move in. How can I be proactive about this so that I don't have a nightmare on July 2nd with a new tenant trying to move in and the old tenants still living there and refusing to leave?

Loading replies...