Why do tenants make appointments and not keep them?

Why do tenants make appointments and not keep them?

Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes

As a new rental owner, I'd like some feedback from tenants. In the last 3 weeks, I've had 25 people make appointments to see my rental house.

I've confirmed with several the day before. I also ask when making the appointment that they please give me a call if they can't make it.

So far, not one has shown up for their appointment. I've called a few, and the reasons range from "I was in the hospital" (2 of them), to "I'm getting in a cab right now", and "I forgot about it, I'm on vacation this week".

This weekend, 3 people called to see the house. I asked them to call an hour before they'd like to see it, and none did. So at least I saved myself a trip.

But I'd appreciate input from tenants as to why they make appointments, even confirm them the day before, then don't show up. Thanks!

0Reply
172 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Bellefonte, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 88 votes
18y

I like making the people looking at the property call 30 minutes before the appointment, that way I know they are going to show up (Thanks MikeOH for that tip :D ). I think handling it that way also shows you that you have a better quality tenant because they are one that will put forth the effort to pick up the phone and call you. If they call 30 minutes on the button then I'm pretty sure I have a qualified tenant. Most people won't keep appointments these days and when you get one that does it shows a lot for their character.

-Michael

See this reply in the discussion

52 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    18y

    Congratulations. And thanks for the update. Always a great feeling to get that signature on the lease, eh?

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    Thanks Wheatie! Yes, it's a big relief. Although from what I've heard from other landlords, now the fun really begins :D

  • Member since 2008 · 77 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    I like the idea of setting up a table to make the place look a little more inviting.

    Congratulations on the signing. I hope they're good tenants :)

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    Thanks Jessica!

  • Kendall Park, NJ · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Things to consider include what does the exterior of the home look like.  If it does not have curb appeal that may be the reason.  Many times potential tenants will drive by the home after they have made the appointment and if they don't like the exterior or the neighbors/neighborhood most of them just don't show up

  • Kendall Park, NJ · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    I would never serve any type of food.  People are sloppy and spill things.  If you advertise free donuts they will be there for the donuts and not the rental.  Your money is better spent on a flyer

  • Real Estate Investor · Unionville, CT · Member since 2016 · 260 posts · 167 votes
    8y
    I have either tried to book a bunch of showings during a window of time or I have left the unit unlocked in the morning for them to go through on their own.
  • Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tom C:

    Besides these people being irresponsible, they are also very impulsive. I find that they somehow go through life jumping at whatever turns their eye at that moment. They are not dependable. They do not show up on time for anything, because they expect people to give them whatever they need and the only time they get motivate is when either pushed into a corner or it fits their needs. I always knew about these type of people, in fact I have had friends that are like this.

    I did not realize that such a huge segment of our society was like this. I always figured that it was small portions of a certain area in a city where these people hung out. In my fishing hole, I have found that 3/4 of the total population is like this. Everyone I run into seems to have this mind set.

    I agree. I have noticed a real decline in peoples manners, focus and common sense especially in the last ten years. I don’t keep friends that display this mentality. The only thing I can say about this is at least you know up front. Red flags waving furiously in face can be a blessing. I’ve become a bit of a soup nazi in the last year re: how they communicate. It’s an interview both ways. If they are to dumb to get that they will be dumb in a thousand other ways that will,cost you. When I post my place now I’m delete immediately and block anyone that responses with one question or redundant questions. Any one who pre haggles or negotiates, bye. I don’t mind certain pets but tell me it’s a service pet? Produce papers. I love animals and have them and I know how hard it can be to have them and rent. However let’s not start out with b.s. 
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.