How come some tenants don't have bank accounts?

How come some tenants don't have bank accounts?

Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2014 · 56 posts · 12 votes

I am renting out my house, and noticed a few tenants put N/A on the application form where it asks for their checking / savings account.

Aren't checking accounts free to open? What does a lack of bank account say about the tenant?

0Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 885 posts · 359 votes
11y

usually it means either:

1) that they have over-drafted a bank account, and now can't get another

2) they don't have enough of the required documentation to open a bank account

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 885 posts · 359 votes
    11y

    usually it means either:

    1) that they have over-drafted a bank account, and now can't get another

    2) they don't have enough of the required documentation to open a bank account

  • Real Estate Agent · Plainfield, IL · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    That is correct Jeremy!  I see it ALL THE TIME in the rental space.  Those tenants usually pay by money order or cash.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Joe Holly

      your tenant base in the B - C and D  are mostly money order folks and cash.

    REason:

    1. bounced to many checks and they are in a federal data base and will never be able to open a checking account under that SSN again

    2. foreigners  Hispanics don't trust banks and just use cash.

    The Aussie clients I had were astounded that renters could be in such a place as their system is far more advanced than us... no checks in AU  everything is electronic.

  • Investor · SE, MI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 461 votes
    11y

    Or it could be that they just don't want to tell you what they have in the bank or where, and don't really know what n/a stands for.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mansfield, OH · Member since 2014 · 35 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    I had a hard time believing that so many of my tenants did not have a bank account. There are several posts about allowing those tenants to pay electronically even without a bank account. You should look those up on BP. It seems that money order are still the preferred payment method for these tenants.  

    I would like to see more of my tenants with bank accounts use the free ACH method - but not one has signed up!

  • Investor · Valrico, FL · Member since 2015 · 80 posts · 27 votes
    11y

    I wouldn't trust it either way, @Andy Kaye. I am putting my investment at risk and can't even get information about your financial situation? No thank you!

  • Mark S.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · KY · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 537 votes
    11y

    I'm not sure I would want to rent to a tenant without a bank account.  That's just crazy.

  • Investor · Pawleys Island, SC · Member since 2015 · 324 posts · 385 votes
    11y

    With or without a bank account, I prefer money order over check.  Can't bounce a money order.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    Most of my tenants don't have bank accounts. Cash doesn't bounce and I don't have to worry about that.

  • Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2015 · 377 posts · 200 votes
    11y

    The reason they don't have a bank account is to avoid having creditors or the government from garnishing their wages.

    I am an employer.  Add this to the list of things I miss not knowing about when I worked for someone else.

  • Contractor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 885 posts · 359 votes
    11y

    I've had pretty good success charging my tenant's benefit cards (MasterCard stamped).  In the town where they live, the best ATM charges $3.50 and caps withdrawals at $100, so even a $2.75 fee from Square (per $100, 2.75%) saves them money, and then they don't have to stand there at the ATM for 20 minutes while it tries to dispense all of their money (fun side note, it only dispenses $10 bills ... and $1500+ in $10 bills is a real pain for me to lug around in my pocket.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Andy Kaye:

    Aren't checking accounts free to open? What does a lack of bank account say about the tenant?

     Unless a customer maintains substantial deposits, nearly every commercial bank charges fees to customers to open checking accounts.  It's been that way for years, decades even.  Some banks require over $10,000 in deposits if a customer wants a free checking account. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Durham, NC · Member since 2013 · 81 posts · 39 votes
    11y

    If they have a good credit score and no bank account, I wouldn't be very concerned. If they have a bad credit score and no bank account, I would not spend another second considering them. But then, it comes down to your risk tolerance.

  • Greenwood, IN · Member since 2013 · 346 posts · 93 votes
    11y

    Had the same thing on a tenant that moved into one side of my duplex recently.

    Get's her paycheck put a debit card, no checking account, so she couldn't do the online option we planned. Other side of duplex same way, cash only.

    The rest of my units are SFH, I very rarely get people in that space, that doesn't have a bank account. And If I do, I know I made a mistake. Only person that didn't have a bank account, I let into my nicest house(my 2nd property) Degenerate was evicted 2 months later, didn't take care for the place. Big mistake. I will be apprehensive in the future if I approve someone for a SFH, that doesn't have a checking account.

  • Rent Collector · Meridian, ID · Member since 2015 · 45 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    The bank of Mom closed it's doors and Walmart cashes pay checks.. No bank account is typically a tall tale sign of credit/child support/ or financial  issues.

    If your rule of thumb is 3x the rent as income then there should be a bank account to support this.  A tenant that cant take care of their finances will struggle to care for your property. Its not worth giving up the insurance of a bank garnishment if they leave your property in shambles 

    Don't be reckless with cash

    Garrett 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.