• Monterey, CA
Votes |
how do you deal with tenant dog poop?

Carol Venolia
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Monterey, CA
Posted Aug 30 2015, 16:43

Howdy,

I'm happy to allow approved pets in my rental properties, and it's all been fine until lately...

I use a Pet Agreement form offered by Leigh Robinson, in his (wonderful) book, Landlording. It includes the clause "Tenants agree to clean up after their pet and to dispose of their pet's waste properly and quickly." Wow, I had no idea how many ways there were to interpret those words!

I have a half-acre property with 3 rental units. Currently two dogs live there, one for each of two tenants. I see dog poop in various places around the property, and sometimes have to be careful not to step in it. I've had more than one conversation with each dog-owning tenant, gently reminding them of the "pet waste" agreement, and saying that I basically don't want to see, smell, or step in dog poop anywhere on the property, pointing out that it's a health-and-safety issue, not just about pleasing me.

Still, I see dog poop when I'm visiting the property--and I don't go looking for it. It doesn't seem worth kicking out tenants who are otherwise good. But I'd love to hear how you enforce dog-poop rules without creating bad blood. In particular, how do you deal with it when there are two dog owners, each saying it's all the other guy's dog's poop?

Thanks!

Loading replies...