Should I fix the ceiling fan?

Should I fix the ceiling fan?

Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 3 votes

So my tenant moved in three weeks ago.  Per the lease, she has 7 days to tell me what wrong with the house after move in day.  A week gone by and I asked if she had found anything.  She said no just minor scratches.  I reminded her to give me the list which she said she made.  A few days later I emailed her an inventory list to check off.  She said she doesnt have a printer so I even printed it out for her.  I came over and told her I would walk thru the house with her if she likes. Nope.  She signed off the inventory list confirming that everything is satisfactory.  Now three weeks later, she texted me regarding her squeaky fan above her bed.  I told her to check the screws but she wanted me to come over and check it out. Also, according to my lease,any repair under $50 is really up to her to fix.  Am I right for refusing to fix the fan?  I could really fix it for her but it is a matter of principle.  The fan only costs $30-40 to be replaced.  Last time I checked, it was fine too.  She also called me twice regarding the broken dishwasher.  Really all she has to do was turn the valve on.  I have been really nice to her in handling her service calls. However I don't think it is wise for me to make it comfortable for her to text me all the time for tiny repairs.  I had since insisted that she should email mr for any future request. 

0Reply
244 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y

@Phung N.as an aside, your $50 repair requirement is actually an illegal/unenforceable contractual clause in the state of NC and has no weight whatsoever. Here is the link to the NC department of justice LL tenant handbook. You'll take notice in part 4 "Carolina General Statute 42-42(b) states that a landlord cannot excuse himself from these duties through a special clause inserted into the lease."

Parts 2/3 deal with who is responsible for what, and "repairs" are on you. I know many people have said they use the $50 "tool, but it is unenforceable in residential situations. 

See this reply in the discussion

55 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Financial services executive · Frederick, MD · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 341 votes
    10y

    @Jerry W. Thank you for proving my point. There is absolutely no law or statute entitling that tenant to a ceiling fan that doesn't squeak. The landlord does not have to repair something that is not broken.

    It's clear you've never spent a day in landlord/tenant court. A judge would not be at all interested in listening to you spit out arcane legal theories in that forum.

    Try reading for comprehension next time. 

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    @JR T. I believe your quote was:

    You should have a minimum repair call charge of $100 and every time they call you out there diligently send them a bill. They will learn soon enough it's an expensive proposition to interrupt your life over B.S.

        I said you were suggesting something illegal, that being a clause that puts the burden of doing repairs that are not the tenants fault) on the tenant not the landlord.  You are correct in that there is no right to a ceiling fan, I do not believe I suggested , but perhaps you were able to discern that somehow.  You were able to discern that I do not have any idea how court or judges work and have never been in tenant court.  Please accept the apologies from an old cowpuncher from Wyoming if I confused you because of my lack of knowledge.  I wish you continued success, please feel very vindicated.

  • Visalia-Fresno, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 863 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Izquierdo:
    Originally posted by @Franklin Romine:

    @Phung N.

    This is just the beginning.  I would show up and fix the fan.  

    I try to smoke out the high maintenance tenants during the screening process.  Every once in awhile one will get through the fence.  

    Frank

     Thats interesting. Im curious as to how you screen for high maintenance. Do you ask specific questions or are you good at reading people?

    I ask lots of questions.

    Frank

  • Landlord, Wholesaler and Agent · Newton, NJ · Member since 2013 · 97 posts · 46 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mike F.:
     Renters are lazy, that's why they rent, help make it easy on them to stay.
     

    Honestly I agree with your overall sentiment and the points you make, but this in particular is a bit of a blanket statement don't you think? Maybe we rent to different kinds of people, actually I'm sure we do; most of my tenants are extremely hard working. I'm not a blind idiot, I know the kind of tenant you're speaking about, but I'm saying as far as that blanket statement... yeah it's not true. 

    All in all though, your post was pretty spot-on.

  • Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @JR T.:

    @Jerry W. Thank you for proving my point. There is absolutely no law or statute entitling that tenant to a ceiling fan that doesn't squeak. The landlord does not have to repair something that is not broken.

    It's clear you've never spent a day in landlord/tenant court. A judge would not be at all interested in listening to you spit out arcane legal theories in that forum.

    Try reading for comprehension next time. 

     How do you decide which tenant complaint is valid and which is "bs"?  Do you have some consistent standard that is in your well-crafted lease?  Is it written such that your tenants can clearly understand it? Or is it only based on your desire to not have your "life interrupted" by your customers?  

    I agree that no tenant is entitled to a ceiling fan. But if one was in place when they rented the unit (which was the case with the OP) then they are entitled to have it in good working order.  I would argue that such a fan should not squeak and that squeaking is an indication that something is wrong.  

    I imagine that were the ceiling fan in your bedroom squeaky, you'd want it addressed.  I don't know about courts but I think treating others as you'd like to be treated is always good and even makes good business sense.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.