Landlord lets Media into Terrorists home for tour

Landlord lets Media into Terrorists home for tour

Certified Public Accountant · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2008 · 279 posts · 151 votes

How about this landlord, Doyle Miller, letting the media go through the San Bernardino terrorists house today?  This guy is just asking for a lawsuit.  He must not be a Bigger Pockets member or he'd know better.

How long til this guy gets sued?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/05/us/landlord-l...

3Reply
94 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
10y

I was watching that unfold on the news and couldn't believe the reporters were let in there.  Initially, it wasn't clear who allowed them in.  Surprised a landlord would be that stupid.  I have no sympathy for the suspects/terrorists, but as you mentioned there was another person living there so the landlord had no right to allow third parties in there.  Plus, why even take on the risk/liability that comes with doing such a thing?  That's just crazy to me. 

See this reply in the discussion

24 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Owasso, OK · Member since 2013 · 166 posts · 90 votes
    10y

    Dead people can't sue, and I highly doubt any family member would have any kind of claim.

  • Certified Public Accountant · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2008 · 279 posts · 151 votes
    10y

    The mother was a resident of the house and so was the child. They are still alive.  I'd assume they were paid up on there rent and there was no formal eviction process in place.  I'm not familiar with California law, but it is known to be tenant liberal. Allowing reporters and bystanders into the house (some taking items from the property for souvenirs), is not how I would handle things.

    My guess is this landlord will live to regret making that decision.

  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Well, I doubt the mother would bring a claim.  While she might not get criminally prosecuted, in civil court you can imagine what some of the counter claims might be.  She probably does not want the landlord's lawyers asking how she could have possibly not known what they were doing in the home she was living in.

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Michael Rogers:

    How about this landlord, Doyle Miller, letting the media go through the San Bernardino terrorists house today?  This guy is just asking for a lawsuit.  He must not be a Bigger Pockets member or he'd know better.

    How long til this guy gets sued?

    http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/05/us/landlord-l...

    Unconscionable. What was he thinking? Bad commentary on our society too. Such a sad situation.

  • Investor · Owasso, OK · Member since 2013 · 166 posts · 90 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Michael Rogers:

    The mother was a resident of the house and so was the child. They are still alive.  I'd assume they were paid up on there rent and there was no formal eviction process in place.  I'm not familiar with California law, but it is known to be tenant liberal. Allowing reporters and bystanders into the house (some taking items from the property for souvenirs), is not how I would handle things.

    My guess is this landlord will live to regret making that decision.

    After the police shredded the place? Probably a million and 1 lease violations with this wacko.

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    10y

    I was watching that unfold on the news and couldn't believe the reporters were let in there.  Initially, it wasn't clear who allowed them in.  Surprised a landlord would be that stupid.  I have no sympathy for the suspects/terrorists, but as you mentioned there was another person living there so the landlord had no right to allow third parties in there.  Plus, why even take on the risk/liability that comes with doing such a thing?  That's just crazy to me. 

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Scott Carder:
    Originally posted by @Michael Rogers:

    The mother was a resident of the house and so was the child. They are still alive.  I'd assume they were paid up on there rent and there was no formal eviction process in place.  I'm not familiar with California law, but it is known to be tenant liberal. Allowing reporters and bystanders into the house (some taking items from the property for souvenirs), is not how I would handle things.

    My guess is this landlord will live to regret making that decision.

    After the police shredded the place? Probably a million and 1 lease violations with this wacko.

    To the contrary. The police did not shred the place.  Law enforcement may have broken down some doors to gain quick entry and left things in disarray, but from what I can see in the video, the structure is intact and the place appears to have been well taken care of by the occupants. The floor coverings probably will need to be replaced after the presence of so many police and reporters being there.

    It is the landlord's duty to secure the premises after a death and/or abandonment, then to follow landlord-tenant law for the disposition. It appears the landlord did not do this and could be held accountable.

  • Certified Public Accountant · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2008 · 279 posts · 151 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Marcia Maynard:
    Originally posted by @Scott Carder:

    To the contrary. The police did not shred the place.  Law enforcement may have broken down some doors to gain quick entry and left things in disarray, but from what I can see in the video, the structure is intact and the place appears to have been well taken care of by the occupants. The floor coverings probably will need to be replaced after the presence of so many police and reporters being there.

    It is the landlord's duty to secure the premises after a death and/or abandonment, then to follow landlord-tenant law for the disposition. It appears the landlord did not do this and could be held accountable.

     I couldn't agree more @Marcia Maynard. This landlord made a boneheaded unforced error in the game of real estate investing.  Landlords work so hard to build our portfolios, get good tenants, make sure everything we do is within the rules so we can build wealth through years of hard work.  Then to go and document such a boneheaded move on national TV so any attorney looking to make a case against a landlord can see is not smart.

  • Contractor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 379 posts · 740 votes
    10y

    You guys are spending waaaay too much time worrying about the letter of the law.

    They were building frickin' pipe bombs in the place. Even in California, ain't no judge or jury supporting a claim that their tenant rights were infringed.

  • Valley Village, CA · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Thank you @Michael Hayworth ! I couldn't agree  more. My fingers were itching and you said it all. 

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2015 · 109 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    Agreed with @Michael Hayworth, no one is going to mind the home of a terrorist being unlawfully broken into and shown to the public. I think we can all agree this is a "special" case.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 61 posts · 35 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jeremy Dolan:

    Agreed with @Michael Hayworth, no one is going to mind the home of a terrorist being unlawfully broken into and shown to the public. I think we can all agree this is a "special" case.

    This is a precedent that should not be set. Regardless of the tenants' actions, breaking the law is unprofessional and not advisable. 

  • Contractor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 379 posts · 740 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @David M.:
    Originally posted by @Jeremy Dolan:

    Agreed with @Michael Hayworth, no one is going to mind the home of a terrorist being unlawfully broken into and shown to the public. I think we can all agree this is a "special" case.

    This is a precedent that should not be set. Regardless of the tenants' actions, breaking the law is unprofessional and not advisable. 

     Yeah, good look with that. We're so over-lawed in this country that the average American commits three Federal felonies a day. 

    http://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonies-Day-Target-In...

    Add on state and local and I'm probably easily at 10. Maybe you're a better person than me and only commit 5. 

    Breaking one of our 10 zillion random laws is not necessarily unprofessional. And I'm thoroughly unconcerned about tenant rights for terrorists who killed 14 people and abandoned their newborn baby.

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2015 · 109 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    @David M. You must be joking... At this point in the case against him and his family you cannot blame the landlord for their actions. Breaking the law is something I am not too fond of, but when common sense makes more sense than the law, then maybe it's meant to be broken.

  • Rialto, CA · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Reading about this really gets me teary eyed. I live in Rialto and I wasn't too far from where the shootout occured. If the mother lived there and the FBI finished doing what ever they did at that crime scene why would the landlord allow media to go in there unless the mother gave them the ok, Is that legal for the landlord to do something like that?

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2015 · 109 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    @Marissa Barrios Legal? No... But legal or not once you have been validated as a terrorist I think that's ground for violating your rights.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 61 posts · 35 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jeremy Dolan:

    @David M. You must be joking... At this point in the case against him and his family you cannot blame the landlord for their actions. Breaking the law is something I am not too fond of, but when common sense makes more sense than the law, then maybe it's meant to be broken.

     No, I'm not joking, actually. I can blame the landlord; how does letting the media in do anything productive? Letting the police in is obviously legal and the right thing to do. The media? No. How is it common sense to let them in?

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 61 posts · 35 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jeremy Dolan:

    @Marissa Barrios Legal? No... But legal or not once you have been validated as a terrorist I think that's ground for violating your rights.

     Ah, so now the landlord gets to determine whose rights get violated? Makes perfect sense...

  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 60 posts · 26 votes
    10y

    Regardless of what the circumstances were it just didn't feel right to be doing that.  Would you do that to your tenant?--of course even if your tenant didn't kill anyone! I was really shocked when the live videos were rolling and the landlord letting the media have full access to this property and dig around. 

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2015 · 109 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    @David M. You have to look at this picture from a different angle. Letting media into homes of terrorists aid in the fight against them. Sure this landlord most likely didn't have that intention when he let them in, but it does work. Terrorist work their whole lives to stay in the shadows, stay hidden. Once their whole world is revealed on public television, other will see how they live, where they live, what kind of people they can be. It opens the eyes of the public, and that is why I wouldn't mind allowing that to happen. Public awareness is one of the biggest pluses when it come to the war on terror. 

  • Henderson, KY · Member since 2015 · 66 posts · 26 votes
    10y

    Why would he want the media in there anyway?  Trying to get another tenant quickly? :)

  • Rocklin, CA · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 66 votes
    10y

    He probably got a pretty fat check from the media to let them in.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 61 posts · 35 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jeremy Dolan:

    @David M. You have to look at this picture from a different angle. Letting media into homes of terrorists aid in the fight against them. Sure this landlord most likely didn't have that intention when he let them in, but it does work. Terrorist work their whole lives to stay in the shadows, stay hidden. Once their whole world is revealed on public television, other will see how they live, where they live, what kind of people they can be. It opens the eyes of the public, and that is why I wouldn't mind allowing that to happen. Public awareness is one of the biggest pluses when it come to the war on terror. 

     I'm going to look at it from the angle that it's not my job to decide whose rights get infringed upon when it comes to "the war on terror." I'm not that presumptuous.

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2015 · 109 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    @David M.I understand your point, but in that landlord's shoes I would have done the same. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.