Anywhere else the 1% Rule doesn't work out?

Anywhere else the 1% Rule doesn't work out?

Investor · Wallingford, CT · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 4 votes

So there must be other places like my town. The average (decent shape) 2 family home is selling from 250k-325k. And the average rent is $1100-$1300. These numbers don't work out for the 1% rule. Everything I've ever read on here, or heard on the podcast is that if you don't make at least 1% a month you will lose money. The only way I can see these landlords around me making money is if they have owned the property for years before the prices inflated.

The reason I've been thinking about this is because a 2 family a few down from mine has been lived in by a hoarder for the last 50 years, and no maintenance has been done to the property in this time. It literally looks like the Munsters house. He passed away a few weeks ago and i walked over to speak with the family who is here this week cleaning the house out. They are from Arizona, I'm in Connecticut. He voiced not wanting anything to do with the property, but when he asked me what I would pay for it, I said "in the 70's"... He almost just walked away from me. I couldn't get a hard number out of him, but he did mention a number around 140k. 

This seems outrageous to me. The entire house needs to be gutted, the entire exterior needs to be redone. The 2 car garage is cinder block, but the roof is caved in. Massive trees near the house. Plus the entire house is full. 3 floors of garbage. 

I've had my eye on this property for a long time, but I think it will need about 140k-160k to fix, do other people think my price in the 70's is low balling him?

I think if the units were nice I could rent each floor for $1200. ($2400 a month total) I want to buy in my town because it is nice, it's just so expensive here.

1Reply
194 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y

Kevin,

@David Faulkner is correct. Seems like you're on the right path. You just need a little fine tuning. I don't know if you have access to the MLS or Redfin.com or the equivalent. Study those markets. You will see a pattern between neighborhoods and the rent to property value ratio. Once you have a good understanding of these parameters, you will spot a good deal from a mile away. In the quest of doing your research, you may identify some investors who are getting some sweet deals that never hit the market. Wouldn't it be nice if you're in that circle? :>)

What's the ARV of the property after you renovate it? That would determine whether or not you're low-balling the guy. As David mentioned above, buying in expensive markets can be very profitable compared to cheap markets. Once you got the formula figured out, I promise you will look at expensive markets with a different set of eyes. :>)

Thanks for the mention David. Those 1% deals are doing good and on the verge of doing great. My partner and I got lucky this year. We just hope the luck will continue into 2016. The deals that I bought at the courthouse steps during the downturn are doing 1.4%-1.5% now. However, they're worth 2.5-3 times now so the rent to value is about 0.6%.  :<(

See this reply in the discussion

51 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Wallingford, CT · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed

    this is a good point. I guess the main point is to make sure it positive cash flows, and is a good investment, not a headache investment. One town over I know I can find better deals, but i believe the tenant quality will go down. Not all of that town is bad, but a good part of it is. The closer you get to the center of town the worse it gets. However in my town, the closer you get to the center the better it gets. Strange how that varies so much town to town. Still I think i might be willing to pay more for this property because it is only 2 houses down and I've been thinking about it for years. I need to make sure I don't get emotionally involved and that the numbers still work.

  • Investor · Wallingford, CT · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Bruce Runn

    very good point. I have my own business and am very familiar with my silent partner uncle Sam who almost gets to split my profits with me 50/50. It's pretty discouraging sometimes. I understand your strategy to be able to pocket extra money, but if my end game is to own several multis i feel like it would be retroactive to sell it after i went through the pain, and exhaustion of a full rehab. Tell me if I'm wrong.

  • Rental Property Investor · La Quinta, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 779 votes
    10y

    I typically peel $100 per door off of the rent, before applying the 1% rule, to account for property management and pain-***-ness.  I prefer my single-family $200k properties that rent for $2k per month :)

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 743 posts · 927 votes
    10y

    @Kevin Gerace

    I've done this 10 times now and try to only keep around 8 or so places for the rental income so I'm buying 1 or 2 places a year and doing the buy/sell now as I like the deals, I like to do renovations, and I'm selling places off as a strategic pace.  In the end, after a renovation, I can sell a property I've held for a while so I can spin more properties if the opportunity arises.  Each additional sale builds the reserve to pay cash and self fund my deals and cutting down Uncle Sam from an almost 50/50  partner to a 75/25 ratio is quite a perk.  I agree for you to accumulate places makes the most sense to drive up your income and it becomes easier to sell some as new and fun deals come up.

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 48 posts · 16 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jacqueline Carrington:

    I think you're wrong about New Haven and West Haven.

     Tell me your thoughts? I heard some sections are great and some not so great, like any other city. Heard good things about East Rock and Westville in New Haven, West Haven between UNH and Yale looks good as the area around the new train station. 

    Is it true that it has one of the lowest vacancy rates in the country?

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Kevin Gerace the 1% rule or these other rules was never intended for SFR 's its only been in the last 25 years or so that so many investors have jumped into the rental game , when in the past the rental business was duplex 4 plex or multi family. people bought SFR's to live in not for rentals.

    So fast forward to today and investors are trying to mash what should be multi family metrics into SFR's.. and it does not work in the higher value areas.. it only works in areas were there is a surplus of standing homes.. low wages .. or NOW areas were investors starting buying SFR's for rentals a decade or so in the past and now the Owner occs have fled and now its nothing more than buying multi family one door at a time. and investors just back into the 1% rule or greater in these areas and SFR's just trundle along never really doing much in the way of appreciation because the only one buying them is cash flow investor.. and with no hope of up side you would not be wise to buy these homes with much more than 1% rule ...

    In high priced areas you can find 1% rule or close to it just not in SFR's

  • Rental Property Investor · La Quinta, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 779 votes
    10y

    @Jay Hinrichs I think the 1% rule is a way more useful rule-of-thumb as applied to SFRs, compared to multis.  Although of course all of these "rules of thumb" are crude at best.

  • Ceril S.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2014 · 180 posts · 80 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Gerace:

    @Account Closed

    this is a good point. I guess the main point is to make sure it positive cash flows, and is a good investment, not a headache investment. One town over I know I can find better deals, but i believe the tenant quality will go down. Not all of that town is bad, but a good part of it is. The closer you get to the center of town the worse it gets. However in my town, the closer you get to the center the better it gets. Strange how that varies so much town to town. Still I think i might be willing to pay more for this property because it is only 2 houses down and I've been thinking about it for years. I need to make sure I don't get emotionally involved and that the numbers still work.

     @kevin gerace - I'd draw up a proposal at least with a letter of intent to buy with your offer, spelling out why you priced it as you did and how quickly you'd be able to close the deal and see what happens. If it needs that much rehab - wow - I'd say $70k is too high!  Around here in Jersey we have the same issues but it's not impossible. Good luck and keep us posted. 

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    I actually agree with everything Bruce says, and I believe we can both be right ... it all depends on the situation and market. If I were in Bruce's market, which I think tends to be more steady/less volatile than mine, and could get ~1.2% rent yield in a nice neighborhood on what I'm guessing is a couple hundred thou for a duplex and had the cash on hand to fund multiples simultaneously, I'd prefer his strategy all day long ... he still has "the need for speed" by the way, when his units are vacant and in disrepair, he's just flipping to the rental market for a year rather than straight to sale :)

    In my market, SoCal is notoriously manic depressive for one, so your tax savings could be greater than stated by holding for that extra year if the hot market tanks taking your capital gains with it. For another, duplex's (for example) start at $500k, and that is for ghetto, so you need a cool mill cash in the bank to start to do multiple simultaneously. Otherwise, compare the gain on doing 3-4 (or more) a year back to back with high taxes to 1 a year with low taxes. For a third, I can't touch 1.2% rental yield in SoCal these days (maybe 2009, but not 2015), and would need to put something like 40% down (or LTV over my entire portfolio if HELOC used for cash purchase) to even cash flow (which is the price I would pay short term for that "insurance") or accept negative cash flow (definite no-go for me) for that 1 year + 1 day. So weighing the tax breaks of longer holds against the risks and opportunity costs, I believe Bruce's strategy makes less sense for me personally in my situation and my market, but works very well for him.

    This is what I love about RE, it is so nuanced and location specific that a guy like Bruce can do it 1 way, and be completely right for his situation and market, and another guy like me can do the opposite and also be right (I believe) for my situation and market ... different markets, different conditions, different strategies ... this may be confusing to newbies, but I think the value for others is not in the strategy to copy, but in understanding the thought process and rationale behind it ... then they can apply a similar thought process to their market and situation to custom fit a strategy for themselves. If you've made it this far, thanks for listening to my rant, and thank you Bruce for the alternate perspective!

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @John D.:

    "All over California, it is almost non-existent"

    @Manolo D. Don't be so quick to paint all of CA with such a broad brush.  There are lots of us that have no problem with 1% and may even occasionally see 2%.

    Don't be so quick on judging what I said, there is a word "almost" in that sentence.

  • Rental Property Investor · La Quinta, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 779 votes
    10y

    Therein lies the debate I suppose are 1% rule properties in CA "almost non-existent" or "fairly easy to find in a number of markets"?  I'd argue the latter, however I'm not sure they are mutually exclusive statements, depending on ones perspective.

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    And I would add that cap rate doesn't apply to SFH, imho. Cap rate was designed for commercial properties and apartment complexes. Its the relationship between net income and price. With SFH so many are bought by owner occupants that the purchase prices are skewed without regard to net income by purchaser who couldn't care less about net income. Therefore the comp sales are for the o/o market not the investor market. And I would also say that the 2-4 unit market is also skewed by so many mom and pop owners, who also ignore cap rate.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    10y

    If I can find properties in the Washington DC and Boston metro areas that meet the 1% rule, Im pretty sure that you can find them someplace within driving distance to Wallingford, CT.

  • Bringhurst, IN · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    All of us have varied business models depending on where we invest and each particular market. In the market we are in I wouldn't even consider 1%. Ours are nearly 2% and sometimes closer to 3% but we also give up things that a lots of you take for granted(we have very little appreciation and a large majority of the homes are 50-100yrs old. These are small towns and people commute 30minutes to work. It's interesting too in that there are 2 larger towns(50k-75k) and one has a large University and the home prices/rent are lucky to be at 1%. So, know your market and your business model and if the numbers work for you than move forward. We have been doing this 25yrs and one of our biggest regrets is letting so many places go over the years because it didn't fit exactly into a formula. Good Luck.

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 743 posts · 927 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @David Faulkner:

    I actually agree with everything Bruce says, and I believe we can both be right ... it all depends on the situation and market. If I were in Bruce's market, which I think tends to be more steady/less volatile than mine, and could get ~1.2% rent yield in a nice neighborhood on what I'm guessing is a couple hundred thou for a duplex and had the cash on hand to fund multiples simultaneously, I'd prefer his strategy all day long ... he still has "the need for speed" by the way, when his units are vacant and in disrepair, he's just flipping to the rental market for a year rather than straight to sale :)

    In my market, SoCal is notoriously manic depressive for one, so your tax savings could be greater than stated by holding for that extra year if the hot market tanks taking your capital gains with it. For another, duplex's (for example) start at $500k, and that is for ghetto, so you need a cool mill cash in the bank to start to do multiple simultaneously. Otherwise, compare the gain on doing 3-4 (or more) a year back to back with high taxes to 1 a year with low taxes. For a third, I can't touch 1.2% rental yield in SoCal these days (maybe 2009, but not 2015), and would need to put something like 40% down (or LTV over my entire portfolio if HELOC used for cash purchase) to even cash flow (which is the price I would pay short term for that "insurance") or accept negative cash flow (definite no-go for me) for that 1 year + 1 day. So weighing the tax breaks of longer holds against the risks and opportunity costs, I believe Bruce's strategy makes less sense for me personally in my situation and my market, but works very well for him.

    This is what I love about RE, it is so nuanced and location specific that a guy like Bruce can do it 1 way, and be completely right for his situation and market, and another guy like me can do the opposite and also be right (I believe) for my situation and market ... different markets, different conditions, different strategies ... this may be confusing to newbies, but I think the value for others is not in the strategy to copy, but in understanding the thought process and rationale behind it ... then they can apply a similar thought process to their market and situation to custom fit a strategy for themselves. If you've made it this far, thanks for listening to my rant, and thank you Bruce for the alternate perspective!

    The learning tool that David is point out is not to copy someone's strategy exactly but learn everything you can of what others are doing and customize it for how you want to do things.  Since my primary driver is owning buy and hold properties and making my money on rentals, the buy/sell model I use periodically fits perfect as I'm already managing 20 rental units that rent for between $1300-$2400/month so 2 or 4 more is hardly any added work while I wait the 12 months to get to capital gains or I incorporate it into my rental group and sell off one I've had for over a year.  As David's pointed out, both strategies work great depending on what's going on in your real estate market-Great explanation David.

  • Mike HurneyPro Member
    Real Estate Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 542 votes
    10y

    @Bruce Runn

    "I advise the opposite approach- I believe in buying the same multi family, renovating it, renting to get the cash flow and sell in a year and a day so instead of paying the 25-28% federal, 7% state and 12% SS (adjusted for self employee deduction) for an approx. 44% tax rate, I pay 15% federal and 7% state with no SS for a 22% capital gains rate. If it's a $70,000 gain, I just "kept/made" another $15,000. I was taught by a very smart mentor, you'll spend more time trying to keep the money you've already made than trying to make more money. Not only do I make approx. $12,000 in sheltered income from the rent after renovation, I took home 38% more so I kept about $27,000 and 70% more than if I flipped it quick. I will give you the caveat that I have enough cash and Heloc money leveraged against my other properties to buy more than one place at a time so I'm not dependent on selling a reno in order to buy another but being more particular about the deals you do and making money by leveraging all of the advantages including lower taxes has always been a successful strategy."

    Hey Bruce my Tax guy said to check this:

    He is taking advantage of long vs short term capital gain rate... 28% vs 15% but he has not included recapturing the depreciation ..........so the gain would be less than stated. Even if he didn't depreciate the rental because he kept it for only one year, the IRS takes it into consideration and makes him recapture it.......so he loses twice.

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 743 posts · 927 votes
    10y

    @Mike Hurney

    The recapture does occur.  I get the depreciation in the first tax year but essentially just pay it back in the sale so it's a wash in that 1 year/1 day.  In the 1st tax year I get the advantage, the next I give it back so it doesn't impact my net profit/take home after tax gain.  We are also only talking about depreciation of 1/27th of the value of property less land so the tax impact one year to the other is small.  Check with your tax guy. 

  • Westport, MA · Member since 2015 · 128 posts · 56 votes
    10y

    Although I love all the comments on this thread, no one is talking about the obvious: This guy is from out of state wearing a containment suit and a mask.  My play on this is as follows: 

    1) do everything all the real investors are saying on this thread.

    2) Go see him again and walk the property on the inside.  Get in it and show him you are serious, by walking the inside.

    3) On the walk through find out how desperate he is to sell, and talk about what it would take to rehab this house or tear it down and re build, remember you are the expert on this not the guy from out of state.  My guess is with a little report you can make it work.  I would love to hear how this goes for you, please provide updates and good luck.

  • Chapin, SC · Member since 2013 · 73 posts · 19 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ceril S.:
    Originally posted by @Kevin Gerace:

    @Account Closed

    this is a good point. I guess the main point is to make sure it positive cash flows, and is a good investment, not a headache investment. One town over I know I can find better deals, but i believe the tenant quality will go down. Not all of that town is bad, but a good part of it is. The closer you get to the center of town the worse it gets. However in my town, the closer you get to the center the better it gets. Strange how that varies so much town to town. Still I think i might be willing to pay more for this property because it is only 2 houses down and I've been thinking about it for years. I need to make sure I don't get emotionally involved and that the numbers still work.

     @kevin gerace - I'd draw up a proposal at least with a letter of intent to buy with your offer, spelling out why you priced it as you did and how quickly you'd be able to close the deal and see what happens. If it needs that much rehab - wow - I'd say $70k is too high!  Around here in Jersey we have the same issues but it's not impossible. Good luck and keep us posted. 

    I would strongly agree with this strategy. Draw up a proposal w/letter of intent . A walk through is a must to make your objective clear, which is to rent first and insure positive cash flow. The ARV to rent would certainly be lower than the ARV to Sell . I would also check the tax records on this property and the surrounding area. I'm sure you will find that the nice homes selling around this property have a solid tax assessment and clearly your vacant home has an eroded one. Look forward to future post on your real life results which is most valuable to the community.

  • Investor · Corona, CA · Member since 2014 · 746 posts · 372 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Bob Mazza:
    Originally posted by @Jacqueline Carrington:

    I think you're wrong about New Haven and West Haven.

     Tell me your thoughts? I heard some sections are great and some not so great, like any other city. Heard good things about East Rock and Westville in New Haven, West Haven between UNH and Yale looks good as the area around the new train station. 

    Is it true that it has one of the lowest vacancy rates in the country?

     As a resident of New Haven, I can say: Yes, of course there are some sections that are great and others that are not so great. But I think you can say that about most cities. East Rock, Westville, Fair Haven Heights, Quinnipiac Meadows, downtown, Morris Cove, Wooster Square, the East Shore and several others that are great parts of town. Plus the universities so there are lots of students and working professionals as well as new developments happening around town.

    West Haven is good too. I worked there as a property manager of a 100 unit building for 2 years so am familiar. There will be a luxury outlet retail center that is going to be built on the water in the coming year

    As a Realtor, I can say: Due to Fair Housing laws I am unable to discuss the people of the areas only the property. For any type of crime data, you can check the local police department's websites. And yes, it's true New Haven has one of the lowest vacancy rates in the nation. 

    Hope this helps!

  • Rental Property Investor · Hamel, MN · Member since 2015 · 54 posts · 48 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Bruce Runn:
    Originally posted by @David Faulkner:
    Originally posted by @Steven Eitreim:

    I'm dealing with the same situation near Minneapolis.  Rent is trending well below 1% of what you could acquire a decent property at.  However, the market is robust, so I'm going to use the following strategy:

    While the market remains solid, I'll flip.  With higher-priced real estate areas, your potential for return (in terms of $, not necessarily %) is higher.  A 30% value increase in a high-priced area is much more lucrative than a low-priced one.  Then, if/when the market corrects to a lower cost point, I'll switch to buy-and-hold (hopefully cash flow is more reasonable then).  And later on, if values get back to "robust" levels, you could sell with the appreciation, or continue renting and cash-flowing at the favorable level.

    This is all coming from a newbie, so take it for what it's worth.  A response that's likely been voiced hundreds of times over the years on BP

    Very good plan ... I like the way you think! A few additional comments ... The analysis I advised would tend to agree and point to flip (shorter holding period) as plan A in hot markets. This business model is based on buying below retail and value add through renovation, not on speculation about market appreciation. I would still like to make the plan B hold #s work (even if I have to force positive cash flow with a lot down, just in case the market turns mid flip). Also, flipping in a hot market you should follow the Tom Cruise Top Gun mantra "I feel the need, the need for speed!" This not only minimizes your hold costs but also minimizes the risk of the market turning on you mid flip. Finally, your profit margin also acts as your margin for safety against such risks. Basic philosophy is to structure the investment not only for maximum rewards, but also for minimal risk. All stuff you probably already know, Steven, but spelling it out for the benefit of others.

    The great part of Bigger Pockets is people get to see more than one approach so they can figure out which would work best for them and also learn new ways to look at it.

    I advise the opposite approach-  I believe in buying the same multi family, renovating it, renting to get the cash flow and sell in a year and a day so instead of paying the 25-28% federal, 7% state and 12% SS (adjusted for self employee deduction) for an approx. 44% tax rate, I pay 15% federal and 7% state with no SS for a 22% capital gains rate.  If it's a $70,000 gain, I just "kept/made" another $15,000.  I was taught by a very smart mentor, you'll spend more time trying to keep the money you've already made than trying to make more money.  Not only do I make approx. $12,000 in sheltered income from the rent after renovation, I took home 38% more so I kept about $27,000 and 70% more than if I flipped it quick.  I will give you the caveat that I have enough cash and Heloc money leveraged against my other properties to buy more than one place at a time so I'm not dependent on selling a reno in order to buy another but being more particular about the deals you do and making money by leveraging all of the advantages including lower taxes has always been a successful strategy.

    Both scenarios can be winners but you have to decide where on the experience/risk scale you are and I'm a believer in pounding out all the take home money you can get.   We all pay taxes, I just want to pay the least I can.  All markets are different so you have to be able to adjust to the trends and figure out how you come out the farthest ahead at the end of the day.

    Great advice!  However, (again, from my newbie experience), those who are working with limited capital may be better off turning 3-4 houses a year (and paying the higher associated tax rates) than the strategy you mention.  But I completely understand your point if in a position of not being limited by capital constraints.  I work in the financial industry and understand well sometimes it's much easier to grow your profit by reducing costs on existing business than it is to land new business at current margin rates. 

    Thanks for the perspective.

  • Investor · Wallingford, CT · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    So I took @Matthew Forbes advice and walked back over there today. Screaming hello from the back door I heard someone up on the second floor. I was met at the second landing by another brother (still in the full suit and respirator) standing on about 2 feet of garbage with the stench of 100 year old must and animal urine. My question to walk around quickly to see the interior was met with a firm no, and a "You can see the level of junk we are dealing with here, come back next year." So I say, "next year like... 2 weeks? or next year like 12 months?" And he said ya, like 12 months.

    I'm sure they are looking for/ hoping to find something of value, also they are probably making sure i don't "trip and fall" and create lawsuit city. I'm curious to see how many trips they will make back and forth from Arizona, and how many dumpsters they will pay for before they decide it's not worth it.

    I mentioned I would be willing to buy the house as is, if they aren't mentally interested in dealing with cleaning it out, so we'll see where that goes.

    I never mentioned the house was built in 1902, and everything looks original from the exterior, so i'm sure the inside is the same. 

    and @Brock Adams i did check the tax record and the town doesn't seem to care about the condition, it's assessment is actually middle of the road for the surrounding houses, and it is clearly the worst house in the area. 

  • Westport, MA · Member since 2015 · 128 posts · 56 votes
    10y

    @kevin Gerace

    Good for you for going back over there. It may not have been received well, but I would almost guarantee you are the only guy who is going to do that, I would stay on them. Do some research on how much it is going to cost them to rehab the thing including time and all that and make a real offer. Lots of time on the airplane to decompress and realize just how attractive 70K in the bank looks as compared to all the work they are currently doing on the way back to phoenix . I think you would land 3 in 5 of these. Good luck.

  • Chapin, SC · Member since 2013 · 73 posts · 19 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Gerace:

    So I took @Matthew Forbes advice and walked back over there today. Screaming hello from the back door I heard someone up on the second floor. I was met at the second landing by another brother (still in the full suit and respirator) standing on about 2 feet of garbage with the stench of 100 year old must and animal urine. My question to walk around quickly to see the interior was met with a firm no, and a "You can see the level of junk we are dealing with here, come back next year." So I say, "next year like... 2 weeks? or next year like 12 months?" And he said ya, like 12 months.

    I'm sure they are looking for/ hoping to find something of value, also they are probably making sure i don't "trip and fall" and create lawsuit city. I'm curious to see how many trips they will make back and forth from Arizona, and how many dumpsters they will pay for before they decide it's not worth it.

    I mentioned I would be willing to buy the house as is, if they aren't mentally interested in dealing with cleaning it out, so we'll see where that goes.

    I never mentioned the house was built in 1902, and everything looks original from the exterior, so i'm sure the inside is the same. 

    and @Brock Adams i did check the tax record and the town doesn't seem to care about the condition, it's assessment is actually middle of the road for the surrounding houses, and it is clearly the worst house in the area. 

     Hmmm...was built in 1902....Lead paint...maybe asbestos $$$$$$

  • Ceril S.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2014 · 180 posts · 80 votes
    10y

    @Kevin Gerace  you may want to put yourself in their shoes - They are probably only in town for a limited time and feel they have to do the clean out - which they have probably been gearing themselves up for for years!  (My mother-in-law is borderline hoarder so...I see this in my future as well).  Having a neighbor stop by mid-2 feet deep in urine soaked refuse - may not be the best time to chat.  I would draw up your proposal with all your info - express your sympathy for their loss and that you understand their situation and would like to help. Tell them to take time and think it over and leave it on their car windshield/door.  That way - if/when they decide that it totally sucks to do the clean out - they have your info to consider. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.