BRRR & Raising Private Money for Multi-Family

BRRR & Raising Private Money for Multi-Family

Flipper/Rehabber · Toms River, NJ · Member since 2014 · 378 posts · 154 votes

This is just a random idea I had the other day but in theory, would it be possible to use the BRRR method to buy multi-family properties with privately raised investor capital and then pay them back directly after the refinance, paying them interest on their investment with rental income in the meantime. I'm sure I'm not the first person to ever have this idea but does anyone have any experience doing it? I have very little capital of my own but know many people looking into invest and I'm trying to break my way into the multi-family game; figured this might be a good place to start. Any feedback is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2012 · 462 posts · 200 votes
10y

@Matthew Rembish

I'm not sure what answers you're looking for.  This is a very common way of investing. 

1) Find a property

2) Fund the property through your private investor

3) Once seasoned and rented, refinance on rate and term financing to pay back private investor

4) Repeat.  =)

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2012 · 462 posts · 200 votes
    10y

    Very possible. I do it all the time.  Very affective way to use little to none of your own money.

    I have a PML who will lend entire purchase price as long as deal is right, which allows me to get into deals with none of my own cash!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Toms River, NJ · Member since 2014 · 378 posts · 154 votes
    10y

    @Brit Foshee

    That's very interesting...are you ever able to include rehab costs into that borrowed money as well? I'm thinking if it was a good enough deal, maybe you could make back the acquisition AND rehab costs in the refinance. Is that too much of a stretch?

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 65 votes
    10y

    I know TK companies can be used for the BRRR method on SFR. Does anyone know of a TK company that offers the same for MF properties?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Toms River, NJ · Member since 2014 · 378 posts · 154 votes
    10y

    TK as in turn key?

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 65 votes
    10y

    yes. Turnkey providers. 

  • Investor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2012 · 462 posts · 200 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Rembish:

    @Brit Foshee

    That's very interesting...are you ever able to include rehab costs into that borrowed money as well? I'm thinking if it was a good enough deal, maybe you could make back the acquisition AND rehab costs in the refinance. Is that too much of a stretch?

    I'm sure you could, but I hate the process and all the inspections and escrows. I'd rather just use my own capital to simplify and speed up the process.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Toms River, NJ · Member since 2014 · 378 posts · 154 votes
    10y

    That's true, I guess it all depends on what kind of relationship you have with your investor and the terms of the loan.

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 163 posts · 51 votes
    10y

    I too am interested in this strategy and would love to hear more.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Toms River, NJ · Member since 2014 · 378 posts · 154 votes
    10y

    I'm still hoping to get some more feedback. I'm sure there are people out there doing this, I'm just still trying to fully understand the in's and out's a little more. How do you start? What are the pro's and cons? I wonder if @Brandon Turnerhas ever done something like this?

  • Investor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2012 · 462 posts · 200 votes
    10y

    @Matthew Rembish

    I'm not sure what answers you're looking for.  This is a very common way of investing. 

    1) Find a property

    2) Fund the property through your private investor

    3) Once seasoned and rented, refinance on rate and term financing to pay back private investor

    4) Repeat.  =)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Toms River, NJ · Member since 2014 · 378 posts · 154 votes
    10y

    Maybe I'm overthinking it. Just trying to see how this would work from every angle. Analysis paralysis, I suppose...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.