Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
Just finished reading an article regarding evictions in CA. There are services that specialize in screwing landlords and buying time, in many instances many months, where tenants aren't paying rent. A quote from Julian Moutan says they are "just helping the little guy". He said a few months of rent-free housing isn't much to ask of landlords, "considering how high the rents are in Calfornia". These people make me sick. Their opinion is: it's OK to cheat someone else. What if THEY were the ones being cheated? The article is in the LA Times and is a column "Eviction system allows itself to be gamed, frustrating landlords". The company quoted in the article is called 866-Eviction. If you google them, you will see they are listed as "eviction delay experts". So, you get a shady tenant who games the system, cheats landlords as a practice, and a company that helps them with the scam. PATHETIC!
Real Estate Broker · Temecula, CA · Member since 2014 · 992 posts · 782 votes
10y
I read that article too and that is why I absolutely require someone have good credit to rent my properties. Sometimes people have a sad story (I'm sure at time some are true and some are not) but unless they have a proven good credit rating and good employment, they will not rent a house from me. Sorry.
I have had problems with people whom I have given a break to, but I've never had a problem with someone with good credit. Someone with good credit will find a way to pay their rent.
Our company has an excellent track record for on time rent payments, and I know it is because we are not afraid to say no to people with marginal credit.
If no one rented to these people who have been evicted in the past, they woudl have a much harder time finding a home in our state...
Real Estate Agent · Buena Park, CA · Member since 2016 · 743 posts · 424 votes
10y
This is why I will never buy rental homes in California,and I am a Californian!!! These trash bags crow like roosters how they lived in someone else's home for 7 months to a year and didn't pay a dime!! Meanwhile the investors went broke trying to pay the hard money loans and the greedy landlords are now in foreclosure due to no mortgage payments being paid.How does my state allow this crap?!!
Real Estate Broker · Temecula, CA · Member since 2014 · 992 posts · 782 votes
10y
I read that article too and that is why I absolutely require someone have good credit to rent my properties. Sometimes people have a sad story (I'm sure at time some are true and some are not) but unless they have a proven good credit rating and good employment, they will not rent a house from me. Sorry.
I have had problems with people whom I have given a break to, but I've never had a problem with someone with good credit. Someone with good credit will find a way to pay their rent.
Our company has an excellent track record for on time rent payments, and I know it is because we are not afraid to say no to people with marginal credit.
If no one rented to these people who have been evicted in the past, they woudl have a much harder time finding a home in our state...
Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
Kudo's to the reporter for identifying to tenants. It is a very good read and very good.
I believe we will all hear the echos of what the "pros" and our mentors tell us as they read through it... In other words, this guy laid out the welcome mat for deadbeats and set himself up. I certainly don't mean to shift the blame, but we all need to be pro-active in protecting our business. He was not.
Like California we in Ontario Canada have been living under the same situations for many years. Professional tenants are becoming a more and more common entity. We have far to many documented case of tenants paying first months rent and that is the last money the landlord ever receives. Our landlord tenant board knowingly protects these tenants, tenants they have seen at the board many times before, yet repeatedly allows that tenant and their free legal aid to evade eviction in our heavily pro tenant environment. The primary driving force behind our regulations are what we refer to as "welfare pimps". Political advocates for welfare recipients. Welfare recipients are by far the largest group of problem tenants in Ontario.
Mom and Pop landlord are intentional targets of these criminals and fell victim due to their own short comings. The reality is that in every single case if the landlord had properly screened the applicant they would not have accepted them.