Southern Illinois Carbondale/Marion Illinois area

Southern Illinois Carbondale/Marion Illinois area

Marion, IA · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 3 votes
I'm new to the real estate investment world. Have done a ton of researching on areas I have family in the Southern Illinois area. Talking to them about investing in buy and hold properties. Was suggested to look in that area. Brother informs me houses are for sale at great prices but homes to rent are in demand. From the research if done he looks to be correct. But thought I'd ask if anyone has ever had luck down there? I know Carbondale/Marion area pretty well. Not like the rest of my family but well enough. Any helpful input be great. Not that I do not trust my brother I do. But I believe in more then one opinion Thanks
1Reply
11 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John Van UytvenPro Member
    Property Manager · Oconee, IL · Member since 2014 · 536 posts · 202 votes
    10y

    @Mike Young

    it can be, but like all real estate, it just depends on the deal

    Would you be doing student rentals?

    What kind of property do you want to buy?

    Good luck and remember

    *DFTBA*
    Don't Forget To Be Awesome

  • Marion, IA · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    I'm not really looking to rent to students. My brother works for SIU and explained to me the attendance is dropping every year down there. Which He should know he manages one of those departments. He personal feels you can get better deals and more reliable renters outside of Carbondale. I am looking at single family homes. My question to him was any single family? Or 3br 1 bath or 2 bath. Or 2br , What are renters looking for down there, he says any single family. Where I live. People want 3br 1 but prefer 2 bath. The market shows that with the prices of a 3 BR home. Hard to find them at a good price to rent out in my area. And it looks like the market where I am at is over saturated with homes for rent. Why I'm looking elsewhere.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.