Appliances in rentals....to do or not to do?

Appliances in rentals....to do or not to do?

Investor · Alabaster, AL · Member since 2016 · 280 posts · 88 votes

Hey All,

Please help me on this... in your view or experience, is it a plus or minus to provide appliances to tenants? And do you take care of issues or not if you provide these.. Thanks!

0Reply
61 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker and Attorney · Durham, NC · Member since 2015 · 74 posts · 73 votes
10y

I think it is nice to provide at least some appliances, but I think, as previous posters have written, that it is a matter of custom and what goes on in your geographic area. Here in Cleveland, tenants expect a stove/oven and refrigerator at least, so I do provide at least those and repair/maintain/repurchase as needed. However, if I happen to purchase the rental property with more than those basic appliances, I simply provide in the lease agreement that these are "courtesy appliances" and if they go bad, need repair or maintenance, I will not be responsible for that. You can mold your lease agreement to your particular needs/circumstances so that repairs and maintenance will not have to be a burden to you. The lease contract is everything.

See this reply in the discussion

39 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 51 votes
    10y

    It depends on your market.  In Oklahoma, tenants usually bring their own washer, dryer and refrigerator.  Stove is provided.  I have heard that some landlords don't provide other appliances because it is just more maintenance, money and repairs and the increase in rent doesn't always justify it. I think in Oklahoma a stove is a required to make the unit "habitable".  

  • Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2011 · 266 posts · 158 votes
    10y
    Both of my rentals have all the appliances, including washer and dryer. Only once in 10+ years has anyone asked that I remove my washer and dryer so the tenant can use theirs (I declined). I prefer the comfort of knowing that my washer water lines are high quality and installed correctly.... My properties are both solidly middle class rentals, and homes in my markets seem to offer appliance standard. You may want to consider specific lease language that dictates who's responsibility it is to maintain the appliances-or up to what dollar amount repair the tenant covers. Lots of options and considerations. Let us know how it goes! -Andrew
  • Reno, NV · Member since 2016 · 328 posts · 97 votes
    10y

    I provide appliances.  Easy enough to buy scratch & dent from Sears outlet.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y

    Depends entirely on what your market is doing.

  • Real Estate Agent · Buena Park, CA · Member since 2016 · 743 posts · 424 votes
    10y
    It's rare in any market to see a rental with nothing installed in it.It's getter cheaper these days to always by package deals during major holiday sales.Many stores through in a dishwasher for dang near nothing when your buying a refrigerator and stove from the same manufacturers (Kenmore,Maytag,etc.).Add a Washer and Dryer to the mix and it can really be a money saving super bargain for the whole shibang.
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    neighborhood...... slum or nice?

  • Investor · Racine, WI · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Don't like providing appliances and have actually stopped. Less cost, maintenance, and does not affect the rent whatsoever. If you find the right tenant providing no appliances is not an issue.
  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    I've rented in CA, WA and TN and in Mexico, and they all had appliances included except not all of them had washer/dryer or hookups.  I've heard some areas don't provide them, but I wouldn't rent a place without them, unless there absolutely wasn't a place that provided them.

    I think I'd be worried about a tenant moving appliances in and out (floor damage, and maybe wall damage getting them in and out).  Plus, what if they hooked them up wrong?  Or they were faulty or leaky?  I would rather provide them and maintain them, to avoid any liability or insurance claims.  And really, they don't break down very often.

  • Investor · Century, FL · Member since 2015 · 950 posts · 603 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Christine Mwai:

    Please help me on this... in your view or experience, is it a plus or minus to provide appliances to tenants? And do you take care of issues or not if you provide these.. Thanks!

     Stove and refrigerator. And we will cover them for repair. There will always be dryer and washer hookup, but we'll only supply them if the last tenant left them, but it's not part of the lease if they go wrong.

    Stoves and refrigerators get two callouts each from our appliance man for repairs. The third time, unless it's something stupid, they are retired and we'll buy something to replace it. 

    Replacement - you look after our stuff and are a long term tenant, I'll buy new. You don't look after our stuff, I'll buy cheap second hand. One of our tenants is moving to another of our houses so the wife just bought a new stainless steel range, one of our other tenants cooks in grease 24x7, she got $100 range from Goodwill. And next year, she'll probably get another $100 range from Goodwill.

  • Investor · Alabaster, AL · Member since 2016 · 280 posts · 88 votes
    10y

    I'm listening and taking notes. ...I appreciate all inputs. I have a tenant that's calling me on the installed microwave door being "hard to open ".. ...another called me about the fridge not "cooling enough".....I've provided appliances always....I had the fridge looked at.....regular cooling....as in excuse me, "but your melted ice cream should not freeze within 3 minutes of you putting it in the freezer? ....microwave...well, easy enough...but your own...on the microwave, I'm not dealing with that. Fridge, please don't call me to change water filters.. that was a different scenario.... "

    It just seems recently the few calls I get are related to appliances....and on petty stuff....excuse my rant, if it sounds as such, these are not slum houses...middle range...I just wondered if  there is a better way...either to word my leases on this matter or something else....I appreciate all input. ..

  • Investor · Alabaster, AL · Member since 2016 · 280 posts · 88 votes
    10y

    Washer and dryer hook ups are there. I've actually never had someone ask me about providing a W/D.....please note, I have only several SF rentals...it may be different for 

  • Investor · Alabaster, AL · Member since 2016 · 280 posts · 88 votes
    10y

    Washer and dryer hook ups are there. I've actually never had someone ask me about providing a W/D.....please note, I have only several SF rentals...it may be different for others that are "big timers" or have multi-family units etc...I'm not there yet. I would like to own multi family units or am apartment community....I'm not there yet... grateful for any and all input.Thanks again.

  • Lockport , NY · Member since 2014 · 265 posts · 124 votes
    10y

    almost a necessity to provide at least Fridge and Stove in Indiana.

  • Developer · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 904 votes
    10y
    We provide used but decent shaped appliances. In our lease, the tenant is responsible for the first $100-$200 of repairs so that cuts down the calls unless there is a major issue. Had a fridge part go bad on thanksgiving week and it would have taken a week to get it, so ended up buying a new fridge for the tenant, other than that no major issues.
  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    It all depends on the comps in the area and if other units have them.  

  • Real Estate Broker and Attorney · Durham, NC · Member since 2015 · 74 posts · 73 votes
    10y

    I think it is nice to provide at least some appliances, but I think, as previous posters have written, that it is a matter of custom and what goes on in your geographic area. Here in Cleveland, tenants expect a stove/oven and refrigerator at least, so I do provide at least those and repair/maintain/repurchase as needed. However, if I happen to purchase the rental property with more than those basic appliances, I simply provide in the lease agreement that these are "courtesy appliances" and if they go bad, need repair or maintenance, I will not be responsible for that. You can mold your lease agreement to your particular needs/circumstances so that repairs and maintenance will not have to be a burden to you. The lease contract is everything.

  • Rental Property Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 339 votes
    10y

    We provide stove and fridge always, washer/dryer usually (though tenants have sometimes had their own washer). Never microwave. Only one of our five units has a dishwasher. 

    A previous tenant at one duplex did a huge amount of work clearing the brush around the yard. In appreciation we hooked up the freezer's icemaker for him. No other fridges in any other units have icemakers.

    We maintain all the appliances that we supply. Usually we fix the dryers ourselves, everything else we call for service, or buy a replacement unit on Craigslist.

  • Investor · PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    10y

    some tenants like to supply their own appliances rather than getting the used Craigslist appliances that I would provide them

  • Xenia, OH · Member since 2014 · 88 posts · 46 votes
    10y
    We provide stove, fridge, over range micro, and dishwasher in all our rentals. It is easy enough to find appliances that are good and also economical. My reasoning is that if we supply it then I know the condition of it when installed, which could avoid headaches down the road if there is an issue. Good luck!
  • Investor · Century, FL · Member since 2015 · 950 posts · 603 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Percy N.:

    We provide used but decent shaped appliances. In our lease, the tenant is responsible for the first $100-$200 of repairs so that cuts down the calls unless there is a major issue.

    Had a fridge part go bad on thanksgiving week and it would have taken a week to get it, so ended up buying a new fridge for the tenant, other than that no major issues.

    The idea of "tenant pays first $100-200 in repairs" is nice until you meet the tenant whose knocked out the display part of a range, which is now hanging loosely inside the top part of the range, and they are sticking their fingers in to turn the oven on and off. They aren't about to pay repairs.

    As I said, nice idea but never under estimate how daft a tenant can be.

    The tenant described the flashes of sparks across the kitchen if they get it just wrong. When I heard that, I put the stove on the road, and bought a new one that day.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Christine Mwai:

    I'm listening and taking notes. ...I appreciate all inputs. I have a tenant that's calling me on the installed microwave door being "hard to open ".. ...another called me about the fridge not "cooling enough".....I've provided appliances always....I had the fridge looked at.....regular cooling....as in excuse me, "but your melted ice cream should not freeze within 3 minutes of you putting it in the freezer? ....microwave...well, easy enough...but your own...on the microwave, I'm not dealing with that. Fridge, please don't call me to change water filters.. that was a different scenario.... "

    It just seems recently the few calls I get are related to appliances....and on petty stuff....excuse my rant, if it sounds as such, these are not slum houses...middle range...I just wondered if  there is a better way...either to word my leases on this matter or something else....I appreciate all input. ..

     I provide stove, refrigerator and dish washer. Middle range single family homes. If there is a microwave, washer or dryer I will remove them and rent without. Microwaves are cheap and break often. Washer and dryer are very mechanical and break often. If my market would tolerate it, I would provide no appliances.

    You are spot on that tenants will not allow enough time for things to cool or they will stuff it full and block the air circulation.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 163 posts · 108 votes
    10y

    For the most part i provide the following ... 

    Stove, Dishwasher & Range Hood 

    My explanation to tenants, "If you were building and buying the home these are the items that are required to get a certificate of occupancy."

    My thoughts, If it is not going to make me more or less competitive within my sub-market i do not want to be responsible for the resiliency of refrigerators washer & dryers and microwaves. Purely a maintenance issue.  

    If you run the numbers and you can charge a justifiable higher rent and get quicker realized depreciation on appliances i could see how someone would land on providing more than the bare- bones i opt to typically provide as almost like another source of revenue for the rental.

  • Investor-Realtor · Sanford, FL · Member since 2015 · 71 posts · 21 votes
    10y

    My rentals include washer/dryer, dishwasher, fridge, microwave and stove/oven.   I think this is pretty standard in my area.  I try to provide a B+ property to rent so I feel this makes me competitive.  Also, I agree with the commenter above who indicated that providing the washer/dryer ensures the supply lines are installed correctly.  

  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 955 votes
    10y

    All my rentals have stove, microwave/range and fridge. All of them also have dish washers and washer/dryer except for the 4 units for section 8. 1 of them have a garbage disposal - which I was told it's a bad idea. 

    Fewer appliances = less likely to break = fewer calls. But I also want my units to attract quality renters. 

    Like a lot of landlords here say, it really depends on your area where you're renting out. 

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Christine Mwai:

    I'm listening and taking notes. ...I appreciate all inputs. I have a tenant that's calling me on the installed microwave door being "hard to open ".. ...another called me about the fridge not "cooling enough".....I've provided appliances always....I had the fridge looked at.....regular cooling....as in excuse me, "but your melted ice cream should not freeze within 3 minutes of you putting it in the freezer? ....microwave...well, easy enough...but your own...on the microwave, I'm not dealing with that. Fridge, please don't call me to change water filters.. that was a different scenario.... "

    It just seems recently the few calls I get are related to appliances....and on petty stuff....excuse my rant, if it sounds as such, these are not slum houses...middle range...I just wondered if  there is a better way...either to word my leases on this matter or something else....I appreciate all input. ..

     There will just be months where you have to work a lot more hours.  But, if you average the year out, I bet it's not that bad.  Rentals are not passive income.

    Honestly, tenants don't call about problems with fridges not cooling enough - unless the fridge isn't cooling enough, in my experience.  Something is wrong with the fridge.  Maybe it's intermittent.  

    It's funny, I had a fridge that was like that - in my manager's apartment lol.  It was ancient, and the owner was very "thrifty" to put it nicely.  He kept "fixing" it over and over, and in the meantime, nothing was staying frozen, things weren't staying cold consistently.  I finally had to just put my foot down and tell him I need a new fridge.

    And trust me, I didn't want him in my space even one more time to replace the fridge, let alone have to clean out the old one and figure out where to put stuff while the changeover was happening - or I was waiting for it to happen.  Then, clean behind the fridge, etc....

    In other words, it would be a very rare tenant who looked forward to the hassle of having to deal with maintenance people or even getting a new fridge.  So, the fridge most likely really does need to be either fixed properly, or even better, just replaced.

    As far as the one with the microwave that is hard to open....have you tried it?  Is it hard to open?  If not, then just tell the tenant you'd be happy to store the current one, and they are welcome to buy their own while they're living there.  If that complaint is really unjustified, and they're just being nitpicky, that is.  But, again, why would a tenant let you know a microwave door was hard to open - unless it was?  

    This is just part of property management.  Things break and need to be replaced.  Because a tenant tells you so, that doesn't mean they are being petty or making things up.

    Now, if she was saying she didn't like the color of the floor tiles - that would be a very easy "no."  

    It just sounds like you have a lot of other stuff going on right now.  Take a deep breath.  Buy some new appliances :-)  In the long run it will make things easier, as they shouldn't break for a long time.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.