Recognize Tenant on Birthday?

Recognize Tenant on Birthday?

New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 114 votes

Just getting into being a landlord, own 2 units currently. First time coming up on one of my tenant's birthday. What do you guys do (if anything) for them?

Card? Gift card? Text? Anything?

I am a hands on landlord (not a slum lord) so I want to do something simple, but effective, to let my tenants know I care about their well-being (major value of mine!)

Any thoughts?

1Reply
126 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y
Find a hobby that interests you.
See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    10y

    @Robert P. you will find some very heartless landlords here on BP. Some have probably already responded on this post. Some speak of their tenants in belittling tone. I don't agree with that, but I also think you can go overboard with tenants. Friending them on Facebook or socially interacting for example is a big mistake. Gifts are unnecessary and can actually backfire. It can create the perception that you have excess money.

    I treat my tenants with respect, but I would never even consider mailing a birthday card. Focus all your energy on being responsive to problems. Tenants want a landlord that will get a broken toilet fixed quickly. I don't think a birthday card will gain any good will. 

  • Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 169 posts · 58 votes
    10y

    I'd recommend against it, keep it strictly a business relationship, as soon as you start being friends with them they will start asking for leniency in paying rent. Speaking from experience, I wouldn't go there.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.