Recognize Tenant on Birthday?

Recognize Tenant on Birthday?

New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 114 votes

Just getting into being a landlord, own 2 units currently. First time coming up on one of my tenant's birthday. What do you guys do (if anything) for them?

Card? Gift card? Text? Anything?

I am a hands on landlord (not a slum lord) so I want to do something simple, but effective, to let my tenants know I care about their well-being (major value of mine!)

Any thoughts?

1Reply
127 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y
Find a hobby that interests you.
See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Software Developer · Vidor, TX · Member since 2015 · 922 posts · 639 votes
    10y

    I don't and wouldn't do that.  Just keep being a good landlord by making sure the property is in working order and being quick to respond to issues.  

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    10y

     Handwritten birthday card is it a good gift. It lets them know that you're thinking about them from more than just a business standpoint.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix AZ / Kendallville, IN · Member since 2016 · 293 posts · 149 votes
    10y

    Most owners or owners acting as PMs keep it professional with no emotional ties to tenants and keep it running as a business. Thats what I would recommend. I think this is a personal choice. With 14 units, I don't plan on remembering all of my renters birthdays. The next thing you know you will be Facebook friends with them. Not sure you want to go there.

  • Investor · Ventura, CA · Member since 2016 · 264 posts · 70 votes
    10y

    Can of worms. This might work right now with 2 units but assuming you will grow this will get too complicated. 

  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 955 votes
    10y

    @Robert P.

    Just like the others suggest, I wouldn't. Unless you're friends with your tenants, it may intrude on their privacy. 

    For me, I just do 1 major holiday, like a card or something. 

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Find a hobby that interests you.
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y

    Stay out of your tenants personal lives, they are not family or friends and they do not appreciate landlords that act like they care. You will only succeed in making them very uncomfortable. No cards, no gifts for any reason or ocassion.

    Do not attend their funerals unless it is the only place you can collect their rent owed from their relatives.

  • Reno, NV · Member since 2016 · 328 posts · 97 votes
    10y

    I kinda handsy too and I've thought about birthday greetings too.  It all fun and giggles until you go to eviction court.  

  • New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 114 votes
    10y

    Interesting that most say not to send even a card. With only 2 units, I think it's definitely manageable. I don't think I would do it if I eventually had 50 units. The way I see it is sort of like a business sending you an email on your birthday (automated), but still feels nice to be recognized!

    I think I know what I am going to do, thanks for the input!

    Oh yeah and @Max T. People come on here for advice, not to get belittled. Grow up...

  • Investor · Ventura, CA · Member since 2016 · 264 posts · 70 votes
    10y

    I hate getting birthday cards from my dentist. Like Yvette pointed out, these relationships can go south very quickly.

  • New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 114 votes
    10y

    @Christine Swaidan so you shouldn't be nice to people because you may evict them down the road? I'm a bit confused? Are you saying it will hurt you if you have to evict?

  • Software Developer · Vidor, TX · Member since 2015 · 922 posts · 639 votes
    10y

    Be nice to your tenants by providing a quality product and service for the money they pay you.  Respond and fix repairs promptly, collect rent and stay out of their lives in between.  That's what tenants want.

  • Real Estate Agent · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @Robert P.

    This is more of a personal choice.  Some Landlords stay in touch with their tenants to build and maintain business relationships just to keep them at their units longer, if they are good tenants and always paying on time of course.  This allows consistent positive cash flow for them.

    Others stay out of their lives and only communicate with them if there are any problems with the unit, quality/product services, and/or negotiating lease agreements.  Some even use a Property Management company to deal with this and not talk to them at all.

    I'd check Landlord/Tenant laws first before doing anything like that, so that you don't run into illegal/unethical issues.

  • Investor · Ventura, CA · Member since 2016 · 264 posts · 70 votes
    10y

    @Robert P. I am definitely not saying that you should not be nice to your tenants!  Do be nice to your tenants!!! I am looking at this from my perspective of having over 80 units. It sounds like these people are starting to be your friends but the landlord-tenant relationship is kind of a false friendship because you are not on equal footing. They don't get a say on whether I raise their rent. If they want new curtains they come to me for the okay. I hold the majority of the power when it comes to their housing at least. Say you decide to give a tenant a gift card for his birthday. Now he may feel that he has to reciprocate. It could just get messy. This is just my personal experience. You were asking for opinions I believe. @Justin Fox said it very well. That is how I try to conduct my business. 

  • New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 114 votes
    10y

    points well taken. Thanks everyone!

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Wish them happy birthday if it comes up when you are around but I don't send anything.  It really is a personal choice but I am not a fan of getting into a tenants personal life in a major way because it is not something I would like.  However everyone has a different view. For more uncommon events I might do something.  I discovered one of my former tenants died recently and I had thought of sending a card to the survivor but opted not to given the time that had passed. Had it been a current or not long after their tenancy I would have sent a note. Keep in mind though when you set a precedent it is hard to step back from it later on.

  • Property Manager · Rockville, MD · Member since 2014 · 287 posts · 29 votes
    10y

    i just started experimenting with this. with pics on move-in, gifts, cards on move-in, birthday wishes.....

    overall i'm seeing that this is very different from homebuying..... most tenants just want to be left with their biz.....

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    I actually see both sides of the spectrum. I considered it but it definitely opens a can of worms when you show that you are human.  You'll have one tenant so will never take advantage of your generosity and another that will use that as an excuse to pay late, to tell you their problems etc. The reason I state this is because it happened first hand. I give the incentive up front. You pay your rent before the due date, you'll receive a $50 certificate. That's what I've began doing over the years and it has helped my tenants paying on time. But it's definitely not a bad idea. 

  • Maitland, FL · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    I remember being a renter years ago and had PM contact my then wife and I our birthdays. While I now understand the intent, at the time I found it a bit invasive. 

  • Real Estate Professional · Hayfork, CA · Member since 2015 · 231 posts · 212 votes
    10y

    Keep in mind that some people don't celebrate birthdays.  

  • Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2015 · 382 posts · 258 votes
    10y
    I don't. It's like the creepy boss that wants to give back rubs. Its business not personal. In the past as a tenant, I've always considered landlord interactions awkward so now that I am on the other side, I avoid those "extra" efforts . I'm providing a professional products and services not friendships
  • Rental Property Investor · Hailey, ID · Member since 2015 · 218 posts · 143 votes
    10y

    Yes, I would give them a $5 gift card to Starbucks, a quick drop by with a handful of tenants. Not scalable, but a nice gesture.

    And I'm calling bull on everyone saying "No. Keep it professional."

    Every year our inboxes are inundated with birthday wishes, free add on gifts and coupons from businesses we gave our email to. 

    Are we Best Buy, Home Depot, or Coca-Cola? No, of course not. But it's all (repeat) business.

    A tenant is a customer. Happy customers are never a bad thing. 

  • Investor/Agent/Entrepreneur · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 464 posts · 564 votes
    10y

    I haven't thought of doing something for each of my tenant's birthdays, but I did give a small baby shower present to one of my youngest tenants who was going to have a baby. 

    I think about it every year to give a simple box of chocolates or other gift to each tenant around the holiday season in December. However, even spending $10-20/unit adds up for each tenant as you increase your portfolio. 

    Doing a one-time purchase during the holidays for all your tenants, and mass mailing or driving to each location, is much easier than adding another task to our already busy days as landlords. It will also eliminate the privacy concerns some tenants may feel. 

  • Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
    10y

    Once you miss one thing you are screwed!   I have given a card and candy at xmas and a baby gift for there new born (high risk pregnancy) but I only have 1 rental.  This minimal cost is the cost of doing business.  Oh and their late fee paid for this.

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 119 posts · 64 votes
    10y

    I do not and would not do this, but I respect it if you do. I don't know when my tenants birthdays are either though.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.