• Real Estate Agent
  • San Pedro, CA
Votes |
Sellers Tenant refusing to move, rent control, Los Angeles

Antonio Scerra
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Pedro, CA
Posted Oct 21 2016, 23:29

I would like to start by saying that this is my first post to the Bigger Pockets community and I am very excited to be a part of it. With that being said, I am reaching out to you guys for guidance regarding my situation. Thank you for your time. So here it is......We are currently in escrow and I was just informed that the Sellers tenants are refusing to relocate and even threatening the seller that they will sue him. We are in a rent control area in Los Angeles and we are abiding by the relocation rules. The agreement is that the seller is going to provide the funds to pay the tenants the relocation dues and I as the new owner will occupy the unit that they are moving out of after the proper amount of time is given to the tenants to relocate. The seller's agent informed my agent that the seller wants to cancel the sale due to the hardship that the tenant is causing. Would it be wise for me to back out of this purchase? By continuing with this purchase, does the tenant become my problem? Does the tenant have any grounds to pursue a lawsuit? How long can they drag this out for if the sale and relocation assistance is being properly executed? Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

Loading replies...