Is it legal to do your own pest control?

Is it legal to do your own pest control?

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 50 posts · 4 votes

Hello, 

Does any one know if it is legal or not for the landlord to do his own pest control, for instance for bed bugs and roaches. 

We have a maintenance person who currently sprays our apartments, just wanted to find out if anyone knows the law regarding this. 

Also, any negatives doing our own?

Thanks guys!

Mark

0Reply
59 views

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    OUCH!  Be sure to use licensed pest companies - - you don't want a tenant claiming sickness due to Joe Handyman.

  • Wholesaler · New England · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 21 votes
    9y

    Depends on your States laws. I know in this State, landlords must use a Licensed exterminator.

    Check the law and Jeff B. has it right,

    "you don't want a tenant claiming sickness".

  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    I agree with @Jeff B.

    I am always really careful with things like that, people are sue happy! Don't give em' a club!!

  • Specialist · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 74 posts · 43 votes
    9y

    The law will vary from state to state. You can do "your" own pest control at your home. You can not do pest control for someone else and charge them for the service. You doing pest control for a friend and not charging for the service is a bit of a murky area. 

    The fact is that a lot of property owners have their maintenance guys spray for bugs in rental properties. I see it all the time and I can not recall ever hearing about anyone getting into legal trouble. But, if someone was poisoned due to chemicals, you would probably be held accountable as the owner.

    That is why most states require training and liability insurance to obtain a Pest control applicators license.

    Think about this: If you need to treat a unit and it will require the tenant to be out of the apartment for a couple of hours, you may want to hire a licensed pest control company for the job. I frequently advise maintenance guys on my multi unit accounts on how to take care of minor roach and mice problems. They call me in when they need me for something more involved.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 50 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Thanks guys appreciate the feedback!

  • David TerbeekPro Member
    Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 260 posts · 162 votes
    9y

    In Ohio it is really easy to get an Exterminator license.  I have thought about that a few times for our management company, should we do the work in house (after licensing).  Does anyone have thoughts on the pros and cons of doing that?  Is there liability if we are licensed?

  • Accountant · Ferndale, WA · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Hi Mark, property management company owner from Bellingham WA here -- This is not something we do or would consider doing, but I'll share my thoughts and the questions that came to mind when I read your post.

    First, if you do, do it, I'd have separate legal entities to ensure if something went wrong with the pest control work that it wouldn't impact your property management company/income properties or maintenance company.  Erect the corporate veil so to speak. 

    Second, ensure you have all of the required licensing.  Here in WA not only does the company need to be licensed but also the applicator.

    Some other items to consider -- what are the laws regarding MSDS papers; chemical storage requirements; chemical waste disposal; chemical transport requirements/restrictions; applicator safety equipment; etc. in your state.  I get your thinking in that it is another connected service you could provide to boost revenue, but my mind spins a little when I start thinking about covering potential liabilities.

    One last item I would consider is client perception if you don't own the properties.  We recently formed a general contracting business to perform repairs on our rental properties and condo associations, but prior to doing so we polled our clients for their thoughts on this item.  I'd recommend getting feedback from your clients as well.  What do they think about it?  Some might even have some additional insight.

    Cheers,

    David

  • Rich N.Pro Member
    Investor · Haverhill, MA · Member since 2015 · 761 posts · 328 votes
    9y

    I use the store bought cans in between tenants if I suspected something...especially when an outgoing tenant is "dirty".

    But, I always use a licensed company when there are tenants living there.

  • Investor · Connersville, IN · Member since 2016 · 89 posts · 25 votes
    9y

    as for insects, litter the place with diatomaceous earth (makes the most sense between tenants, but can be used around humans and pets)

    worse problem with much contact is dry skin/rash.

    the powder is crushed diatomes (creature shells, chemically silica-ish) in effect it's micro shards of glass which wedge in the crevices of the exoskeletons. so bugs eventually get clumped up with the stuff and can't move. and sometime pierces the innards. so either way they die.

    it's organic, non toxic. just don't wallow in it, and don't let kids/pets play in it.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 50 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @David Long Thanks David and others great, great advice! 

  • Specialist · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    some states allow you to obtain a license specifically for this purpose. It's alot easier to obtain than it is to get a license to do pest control work on someone else property. I plan to invoke this as a way to increase revenue. To also have thay revenue be specifically for that purpose. Setting up entities to ensure no harm comes to ownership of my properties. I have about 11 years experience in pest control.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.