Would you rent to a renter with four dogs

Would you rent to a renter with four dogs

Magnolia, TX · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 5 votes
We closed a single family house last month. The house is move-in ready with fresh carpets. One potential renter contacted us that she is selling her house which closes Dec 31. She is looking for a 6-month lease and she has four dogs. Would you rent to a four-dog owner? My husband said we can kiss the carpets good-bye. But on the other hand, rental in winter is a tough business. 6-month will take us to June when it is much easier to find quality tenants. We are working with an agent/property manager to list our property on mls., which means we will lose two-month rent for listing alone, after the 6-month lease expires. What is your advice? New investor needs your insights.
0Reply
108 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y

Nope. We have a NO PETS policy. An untrained dog can cause a lot of damage in a brief amount of time. Especially if the tenant is not a responsible pet owner.

However, there are many landlords who welcome pets for extra rent and/or extra security deposit. If you can verify the tenant is a responsible pet owner and the dogs are well trained and have a history of not causing damage, then you could consider it.

Although we don't accept pets, we have grandfathered in a few over the years. We now require tenants with pets to adhere to a Pet Agreement which becomes an addendum to their rental agreement. Best practices as defined by the ASPCA, AKC, and the Humane Society are written into our agreement. Also, be prepared to charge for damages as they occur, as it is easier to collect at that point.  If you don't, you may find the security deposit is not enough.

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2013 · 844 posts · 350 votes
    9y

    @Flora Granter No I would not it is too much risk as to how much damage the dogs could cause. I love dogs but not 4 in one property. Unless you want to charge a higher rent and make her obtain renters insurance if you have no other applicants.

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    Nope. We have a NO PETS policy. An untrained dog can cause a lot of damage in a brief amount of time. Especially if the tenant is not a responsible pet owner.

    However, there are many landlords who welcome pets for extra rent and/or extra security deposit. If you can verify the tenant is a responsible pet owner and the dogs are well trained and have a history of not causing damage, then you could consider it.

    Although we don't accept pets, we have grandfathered in a few over the years. We now require tenants with pets to adhere to a Pet Agreement which becomes an addendum to their rental agreement. Best practices as defined by the ASPCA, AKC, and the Humane Society are written into our agreement. Also, be prepared to charge for damages as they occur, as it is easier to collect at that point.  If you don't, you may find the security deposit is not enough.

  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Flora Granter   Are they claiming the dogs stay outside?  If they are inside dogs ABSOLUTELY NOT!

    Where is the property located?

    There is no chance I would buy a property knowing I was going to pay two months rent for someone else to find me a tenant.

  • Jericho, NY · Member since 2016 · 143 posts · 49 votes
    9y

    I personally wouldn't, I love dogs but there is a decent chance that you will have damage. Maybe consider a higher deposit? could be an option or maybe consider getting a quote from an insurance broker for some type of landlord insurance. I am not sure if this is a type of covered damage but it doesn't hurt to ask

  • Rental Property Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 296 posts · 243 votes
    9y

    Have the prospective tenant come and meet you, with her 4 dogs.  You will know in about 10 seconds what the right call is.  I have two good friends with 4 dogs, and they rent.  Their dogs are far better behaved than my other friends kids.  Others, I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.  

    Your place, your call.  Factor in new carpets. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Madison, WI · Member since 2014 · 93 posts · 40 votes
    9y
    I like tenants with pets, because it is often hard for them to leave as many landlords have a no pet policy. That being said, I do expect more wear and tear. I like to mitigate that future expense with pet fees as well as try to lock them in for longer term leases (2+ years). I would not rent to 4 dogs for 6 months. On a different note, review what is a standard leasing fee in your area. 2 month's rent seems extremely steep. I would also try to go towards a percentage vs. fixed amount if you are looking at 6 month leases. Best of luck.
  • Specialist · Fredericksburg, VA · Member since 2015 · 69 posts · 19 votes
    9y

    We allow pets in some but not all of our properties.  In those that allow pets, we require a pet deposit for each approved pet they will be keeping.

    Here in Virginia you can't charge more than two month's rent as a deposit.  Our standard deposit is one month's rent, so four dogs could potentially put them over the two month threshold.

    It all depends on the property, market conditions, and your existing pet policy.

  • Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, MN · Member since 2010 · 511 posts · 92 votes
    9y

    I would pass on the 4 dogs it's not worth the headache. The PM is charging 2 months rent?

  • Software Developer · Vidor, TX · Member since 2015 · 922 posts · 639 votes
    9y

    It depends.  Four Mastiffs?  Nope!  Four smaller dogs?  Sure, $500 non-refundable pet fee at lease signing and an additional $100 in pet rent per month.  $1,200/year plus $500 should cover it.

  • Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    I would personally never accept 4 dogs - unless the tenant gave me a huge non-refundable pet fee. No way I would accept a 6 month lease either, without a huge premium in rent.  The move-in/move-out process is really hard on a house house.  For a lease now, I would only be considering a 16th month lease or longer.  This will reset your new tenant's move date to springtime, which will be better for both you and them.  Don't let the time of year scare you into taking a subpar tenant. You didn't mention anything about the house, but if you are open to SEC 8, that's a safe tenant to attract this time of year.  Outside of SEC 8 and someone relocating into your market for a job, tenants who apply this time of year tend to be deadbeats who were just evicted from someone else's house, regardless of what they tell you.  Be sure to check your Court Websites to see what applicant's history is, and screen very carefully.  Don't accept a subpar tenant without add'l deposit money.

    Congrats on your new retirement vehicle!!!

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I once rented to a woman who had four small dogs but this was a house that was all hardwood; not carpet.

    Was she grateful that someone would rent to her with this hoard of dogs?  Not really.   She and her partner complained about everything, including dust on the towel racks.

    I was glad when these tenants found a house they wanted to buy 8 months into the lease and got out of my hair.

    At any rate if you even seriously consider renting to someone with 4 dogs, find out their size, their breed (many insurance companies will not cover certain "aggressive" breeds), whether they've been spayed or neutered, are on monthly flea control, are up to date on their rabies vaccinations and are NOT puppies.   

    Then charge a non-refundable pet deposit and additional pet rent.

    Gail

  • John PowellPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kennesaw, GA · Member since 2015 · 308 posts · 153 votes
    9y
    I charge a $300 non-refundable pet fee and $25 per pet per month pet rent. So on a 6 month lease your looking at $900 extra rent and pet fee plus security deposit. How much does new carpet cost? If it's someone that is selling a house you might look at adding a high pet deposit on top of it all. The more the pet cost the tenant and they are still willing to pay the better pet owner they are likely to be. If someone will spend $100 month on their dogs they care about their dogs. I am not a dog owner myself. I have just found this to be a way to push rents above market and have good pet owners.
  • Investor · Columbus, MT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Flora Granter

    We usually rent to pets, but we just had a tenant apply for one of our rentals with 4 Yorkeys, we did not rent to them and I am glad we chose that option. (they did not qualify on other grounds as well) 

    There are other renters and it is not worth the hassle. 

  • Magnolia, TX · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 5 votes
    9y
    Thanks everyone for generously sharing your insights. FYI. I asked for more info about the dogs and have never heard back from the dog owner. Glad that I did not have to go through the mess with 4 dogs. I am patiently waiting for the new year. Thanks again. Your advice has made a difference in this situation.
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    canine boarding kennel...different business model than residential rentals

    no need to wait for the new year, people rent all the time (even in slow periods)

  • Magnolia, TX · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 5 votes
    9y
    Mike, I know. But there is zero showing for the past 16 days. It is the slow time of the year.
  • Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 313 posts · 190 votes
    9y

    I don't allow even 1 dog or cat in my units. When i bought my place one of the tenants had a great dane...a big *** great dane...in one of my units. I was really glad when she left.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 919 posts · 911 votes
    9y

    I would not do it if I had newer carpet.  All my properties are 100% ceramic tile.  I take pets.  $250 non-refundable pet deposit and a fee per month per dog.

    As far as the 2 month fee:  that's outrageous.  Try craigslist and a sign in the yard.  If it doesn't rent, drop the price.  But I am anti property management.  No one will manage it like I do.  :-(

    AG

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Flora Granter:

    Mike, I know. But there is zero showing for the past 16 days. It is the slow time of the year.

    I am not a fan of compromising standards at that level based on the time of year. Over time, you will have unexpected turns during the holiday season and the property demand needs to support it or the cumulative ROI during high and low demand periods need to support it. There are millions and millions of properties and renters...you either own and manage to strong resident profiles or you own the ones with less demand or compromise standards and you get adverse selection on residents. Good luck with your search.

  • Real Estate Agent/Property Management · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 827 votes
    9y

    @Flora Granter  Four dogs seems excessive. The properties I manage generally limit it to two dogs with a $250 per dog pet deposit. You should also require renters insurance which would pay for any damage if any.

    If this person only wants a six months lease, then you should charge a significant premium for that privilege. I would add a couple of hundred dollars a month to the base rent.

    Two months rent for leasing is crazy. Unless you mean one month now and another month when the tenant moves out. In a case like that, I would only charge 50% for the first six months lease. 

    As far as the "I love dogs but...." comments. If you have a no pets policy you are automatically eliminating 30% to 40% of your potential tenant pool. To say something like "you can say goodbye to your carpets" is foolish. I have a dog and I have done far more damage to my carpets from spills, etc. than my dog could ever do.

    Finally, if you allow pets, you can also include in the lease a pet cleaning fee which they can pay on move out or you can deduct from the security deposit.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.