Do I need to resign entire lease agreement for renewal

Do I need to resign entire lease agreement for renewal

Property Manager · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 728 posts · 596 votes

I have a leased property coming due in 45 days. I will be increasing the rent and would like to get a 1 year renewal. Can I send a 1 page addendum to have them sign which states the new payment amount, the new start and end date, and a reference back to all the other terms as stated in the original lease, or do I need to get a completely new lease signed?

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Orange, CA · Member since 2015 · 79 posts · 86 votes
9y
I can't speak specifically to NC, but here in CA all you need is the one page addendum that references the original lease and states any new terms. Anything not addressed will remain as it stands in the original lease.
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Orange, CA · Member since 2015 · 79 posts · 86 votes
    9y
    I can't speak specifically to NC, but here in CA all you need is the one page addendum that references the original lease and states any new terms. Anything not addressed will remain as it stands in the original lease.
  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    I like to do another lease. It was the suggestion from our landlord attorney. This way there is no excuse for them to say they did not agree to the other portions of the lease. People seem to get amnesia, don't give them another reason to go awry or complain!!!

  • Specialist · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Hi @Curtis Mears I have always seen (and currently use) a 1-page renewal that specifies the old lease is still in effect and have an area to make any changes/updates. @Kim Meredith Hampton's idea isn't bad either. It doesn't take much more time, just a longer print job.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    I do a new lease, most times they can't find the old one and don't remember what is in it. Also make sure you are compliant with the notice period for a rent increase, in some places it is 90 days.

  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Curtis Mears Do you use the "standard" NC lease?  The one the realtor board provides us has an accompanying one page addendum we can use for renewals or to change the terms.

  • Property Manager · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 728 posts · 596 votes
    9y

    I do use a standard lease agreement with some changes, but I am unsure where I originally got it. My attorney did recommend a new lease to be safe, so I am going that route. Thanks for all the replies.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.