Votes
William George spear
  • Mount Dora, FL
Votes |
Mold infestation in one of my rentals

William George spear
  • Mount Dora, FL
Posted Dec 22 2016, 22:35

My Tenant reported visible mold gray color on curtains and wood furniture in house. Florida house circa 1970, plaster walls 735 square feet 2/2 in good condition. A/C air handler in attic, no visible roof leaks or any visible any leaks of any kind.The house has gable and ridge vents. There is no fan in the bathroom.  I am a home inspector and checked it out.  I sent out a specimen to pro lab yesterday and will not receive results until probably next Tuesday. After inspecting the house there was considerable condensation on the interior of all windows. The tenants have not run the air conditioning in months but claim to open windows periodically for ventilation. The wife discovered the mold when changing sheets on beds with the gray mold on the mattress. The mold is on the north side of house. The are no trees or foliage over or surrounding the house although behind it about 20 feet is typical Florida everglade type of growth. I instructed the tenant to take down all the curtains and wash in hot water with vinegar. The mattress was removed. I told them to take a hotel room for the night until we get this sorted out. Due to it being Xmas and them having 3 kids under 8 they seen reluctant to leave.  I have a cleaning crew going there this am to wipe everything down, bleach, etc. I waived there January rent and told them to use it toward a hotel until this is squared away. I am concerned if there is anything more I should be doing. I havent encountered this before. I am waiting for the results of the test before progressing further. I am concerned that this mold will come back. I am considering bringing a mold remediation crew in depending on the results of the mold sample. I am also concerned about the legal ramifications of this. Possible law suits. This is a young couple who will not necessarily take my advice and leave the premises. Does anyone have some advice on how to handle the mold issue and also on how to protect myself legally. My homeowners insurance covers mold infestation up to $4000 and has a thousand dollar deductible.

Loading replies...