Help - Buying a house - tenants already received a 60-day notice

Help - Buying a house - tenants already received a 60-day notice

Ori SklootPro Member
Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2016 · 242 posts · 304 votes

Hey folks,

If an owner has given tenants on a month-to-month lease a 60 day notice to terminate tenancy and then I buy that property before that 60 days is up, is the time period still counting down from when the notice was given?  Or, because I am the new landlord, do I have to restart the 60-day notice process?   

For double points, what about an eviction process?  If I buy a property that is in the middle of an eviction, do I have to refile because I'm the new owner, or do I just continue with the timeline of the former owner?  

House is in unincorporated part of Contra Costa County in California.

Thanks for any advice!

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Consultant · Whitestown, IN · Member since 2014 · 547 posts · 933 votes
9y

Ownership shouldn't affect these things. The tenants are already looking before you closed on the property. The judge has already mandated a date to return possession regardless of who the owner is. You shouldn't have to refile. Who owns the property and the sale of the property has no bearing on the tenants obligation and violation of a contract. Ownership and tenancy are separated in these matters. Just like having to honor a lease if you purchase a leased property. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Consultant · Whitestown, IN · Member since 2014 · 547 posts · 933 votes
    9y

    Ownership shouldn't affect these things. The tenants are already looking before you closed on the property. The judge has already mandated a date to return possession regardless of who the owner is. You shouldn't have to refile. Who owns the property and the sale of the property has no bearing on the tenants obligation and violation of a contract. Ownership and tenancy are separated in these matters. Just like having to honor a lease if you purchase a leased property. 

  • Ori SklootPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2016 · 242 posts · 304 votes
    9y

    @Ross Denman That makes perfect sense.  Thanks for the response!

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    It depends on your state regulations, it is not a given the order still applies with a new owner.

  • Rockford, IL · Member since 2016 · 126 posts · 48 votes
    9y

    I would make closing dependent upon the properties being vacant.  If closing can't be moved I would ask for some type of monetary consideration.  

    If the judge hasn't order the eviction, and you purchase, how can you enforce it?  

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    The 60 day notice to vacate will remain in effect.  You as the new owner assume the terms and conditions of the lease

    The eviction would have to be refiled.  An eviction is a lawsuit and reads   Current Landlord(Plaintiff) vs. Tenant(defendant) .  This cannot be modified.  The court may allow the addition of a party but you as the new owner cannot just assume the position of the original plaintiff.  If the eviction has been filed, I would suggest waiting until it is resolved to close on the property

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    @Ori Skloot Just seeing this thread now, and I'm in the same situation. What did you end up doing? did the tenants move out after 60 days? Thanks!

  • Ori SklootPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2016 · 242 posts · 304 votes
    7y

    @Dani Sung

    If an owner has given tenants on a month-to-month lease a 60 day notice to terminate tenancy and then I buy that property before that 60 days is up, is the time period still counting down from when the notice was given? 

    YES....60 day count-down keeps going.   

    For double points, what about an eviction process? If I buy a property that is in the middle of an eviction, do I have to refile because I'm the new owner, or do I just continue with the timeline of the former owner? 

    So long as the original eviction filing was done property, you can keep going with the same eviction process.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.