Serious question - Rent, or live in an RV?

Serious question - Rent, or live in an RV?

Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 6 votes

I knew that title would grab your attention.

I'm 24. I'm single and not looking for anything until I have enough passive income from real estate rentals to leave my job. No pets, literally just me.

I'm a contractor. Work is heavy right now, but I've been without work for 8 months before and it's scary. That's the only reason I'm considering living in an RV. Even if I rent though, I'll always have at least 6 mos of savings in my bank account. So I'm undecided.

With that being said, I'm a pretty materialistic guy. I like things. I usually rent 3 bedroom houses just for myself. I use one room as a gym, one as an office, then a bedroom. And I love it.

What I don't love... is the rent payment. I pay about $1,200/mo in rent and yard maintenance. I make about $1,000 a week. I have about $10,000 in my checking account.

My parents have 20 acres about an hour from everyone (friends, family, and work) that I can use. Nice land.

I also have no debts other than my car payment. It's a $12,000 car. I owe $10,000.

So without boring you with details... should I pay cash for a cheaper camper trailer, fix it up, and live in that? Approx $15,000 total. And enjoy the perks of seclusion (big plus, I'm introverted), and no rent payment while making pretty decent money...

OR

Continue renting pricey houses and just be more traditional about things.

0Reply
237 views

Most Popular Reply

Michele FischerPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

I'm at a different place in my life, but here's my reaction:

It seems silly that you owe $10K on a $12K vehicle... seriously?  I'd start paying that off pretty aggressively and start building a fund for the next vehicle.

It seems luxurious to have a three bedroom apartment for one person, isn't there something between a 3 BR and an RV?

I would not want to live an hour away from my life.  Commuting takes a big toll on you and your modest vehicle, is it worth it?  Is there a closer place you could park and RV or a tiny house?

Seems like you are contemplating two extremes in living situations, and maybe middle ground would be a better option.

See this reply in the discussion

61 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Winnipeg, Manitoba · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    Buy a duplex and live in the smaller suite while the other suite pays their rent right into your equity. Pay the car off fast since you have no rent.
  • Investor · Garland, TX · Member since 2015 · 110 posts · 43 votes
    9y

    Would you get tired of driving an hour to work? If you bought and fixed up an RV and then grew tired of the drive or worse no space for your workout, would you loose money on the RV investment?

  • Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    @Michael Bracken no, I wouldn't get tired driving an hour to work. The hour drive is inevitable whether I rent or buy an RV. I'd actually prefer it because I listen to audiobooks and it wakes me up before my day begins. I'm pretty sure RV's hold their value decently well and I would take great care of it, I'm just thinking it wouldn't be the easiest thing to sell.

  • Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    @Devon Tronrud I'm planning on doing that in a year, I can't finance just yet because my credit and my job. I'm a contractor so it's harder to finance, especially just going so long without work. I'm going to do what you're saying a year from now, just unsure if I should rent a normal home and enjoy myself or buy an RV and make the sacrifice so I can save a lot of money in the next year.

  • Oswego, IL · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    I've actually thought a lot about this myself. Couple thoughts: 1) Rent a spot in warehouse-type building with bay doors and "store" your RV in it along with your tools etc. most of them have a bathroom and it's easy to plumb in a shower or connect your RV plumbing to it. You could probably find one for $300-400/month 2) Look for someone with a barn or pole barn and rent from them. House some larger storage tanks for waste that you could have pumped. 3) Find a business (excavator, plumbing, granite supplier) and trade on-site "night security" in exchange for a spot to park and use of the bathroom/shower inside the facility. You could probably find something closer to work and/or family and could write off the rent.
  • Real Estate Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2009 · 183 posts · 153 votes
    9y

    @Wayne Yates I think you have your mind made up, buy the RV and take the plunge.  You're so young doing something like this is easy for someone your age.  The hour drive will eventually catch up to you, but you have that drive regardless so it's a moot point.  

    Your peer group is currently in crazy debt, so you're way ahead of the game.  You have no idea how much 100k in cash will do for your future, so make the sacrifice and start shacking up in that RV and hoarding piles of cash.  It sounds like you can realistically save about 3k a month.  I would take the cash and throw it at the car payment, esp if you have a higher interest rate, which if you can't get approved for a house it sounds like you might.  

    Pay cash for the RV, even if you get sick of it in a few months you can sell it and you will still come out ahead of paying 1.2k a month in rent.  So I see nothing to lose here.

    After 3-4 months you will have your car and RV free and clear.  They are both depreciating assets which sucks but still you are debt free.  At this point you will start saving 3k a month and have a net worth of about 20k, not great but not bad either.  In two years you will have right around 90-100k if you have been savvy with your spending.  This will take a lot of sacrifice, or after a year you should be nearing 50k, which is probably enough for a down payment on a house in a college town.

    It sounds like you are mentally on a good path.  I know the feeling of not knowing where your next pay check might come from.  That is a good way to think, however don't dwell on it either.  You're young and ambitious you will figure something out even if **** hits the fan.

    One last piece of advice.  If **** does hit the fan, don't rest on your laurels and blow through your saved up cash, this will come back to haunt you.  Get out there and make sure you are at least breaking even while the economy is in shambles, that cash is a beautiful thing and opens many doors.

    Goodluck...

  • Winnipeg, Manitoba · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Wayne Yates:

    @Devon Tronrud I'm planning on doing that in a year, I can't finance just yet because my credit and my job. I'm a contractor so it's harder to finance, especially just going so long without work. I'm going to do what you're saying a year from now, just unsure if I should rent a normal home and enjoy myself or buy an RV and make the sacrifice so I can save a lot of money in the next year.

     Always plan for the future and keep where you want to be in mind. If you're an introvert like you say take he ever and research rentals in the areas your interested in and prepare for your investment! 

  • Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    @Michael P. my mind isn't 100% made up, I'd way rather prefer the comfort of a nice house with my bedroom, an office, and a gym. RV will be a hard decision, but at the end of the day, I know it's financially the smarter one. I've been driving an hour for work since 15 (worked with my dad and rode with him to begin with) and it hasn't been horrible. I have my times where I hate it but others when caffeine saves me and listening to a good audiobook helps. As far as I'm concerned, this job is just a stepping stone into me starting a business, so I can't get myself to move closer to it.

    I have a bad interest rate. 9%. So you think I should throw a lot of money at my car and pay cash for an RV? I have $10,000, which is about how much a nicer one is. I'd hate to completely drain my account to pay cash for the RV, then still owe on the car. My plan was to find an RV for around $10,000, finance half. Have a super low monthly payment on that. Pay off my car ASAP. Then pay off the RV asap. Just so I always have a good $5,000 range safety net. Maybe this is a bad idea though, how do you feel?

  • Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    @Rob Hunt my parents have land that I can use for the RV, and they have homes on both. So I have access to washer/dryers, an extra bathroom, etc if I need it.

  • Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    @Devon Tronrud so you think I should live in the RV and look for rentals to purchase, or that I should just rent a cheaper place and save while renting?

  • Winnipeg, Manitoba · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Go with the rv. Look at it this way. The bigger your down payment the less ur payments will be. And end up having extra money every month to re invest, save for another property or just spend as you please. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2009 · 183 posts · 153 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Wayne Yates:

    @Michael P. my mind isn't 100% made up, I'd way rather prefer the comfort of a nice house with my bedroom, an office, and a gym. RV will be a hard decision, but at the end of the day, I know it's financially the smarter one. I've been driving an hour for work since 15 (worked with my dad and rode with him to begin with) and it hasn't been horrible. I have my times where I hate it but others when caffeine saves me and listening to a good audiobook helps. As far as I'm concerned, this job is just a stepping stone into me starting a business, so I can't get myself to move closer to it.

    I have a bad interest rate. 9%. So you think I should throw a lot of money at my car and pay cash for an RV? I have $10,000, which is about how much a nicer one is. I'd hate to completely drain my account to pay cash for the RV, then still owe on the car. My plan was to find an RV for around $10,000, finance half. Have a super low monthly payment on that. Pay off my car ASAP. Then pay off the RV asap. Just so I always have a good $5,000 range safety net. Maybe this is a bad idea though, how do you feel?

  • Real Estate Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2009 · 183 posts · 153 votes
    9y

    @Wayne Yates Yeah I figured you had a higher interest rate.  

    I will stick with my previous advice with this caveat.  You say you are making 5k a month.  At a minimum you should be able to save around 2k.  Wait about 1 month, maybe do some side work as well then pay cash for the trailer.  Financing 5k?  Who loans on that?  Don't bother just pay cash.  

    Yes, now you are pretty much flat broke but so what.  You are now capable of saving 3k a month.  Wait one month put 3k into the bank then start just blasting away at the car.  9% is just too much to be paying in interest.  

    Is there a reason why you don't just live in your parents house that is on the property?  You're already an hour away from your friends why not just shack up there and save even more?

  • Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    @Michael P. I currently can save about $3k a month and I pay $850 for an apartment. Just can't live in an apartment anymore. I'd prefer a little privacy which is why I was considering either renting a single family or buying an RV.

    I'm not an hour from friends or family, I'm beside them currently. I'm an hour from work. My parents have 2 spots of land that I can use. One is their house where they live. It's an hour from work but close to friends. I can stay there with the RV.

    Or I can stay at another spot they own. It's almost 20 acres and has a super old home on it. It's really good land close to some more of my family, but it's about an hour from my immediate family, friends, and work. So it's total isolation really, which is nice because I'm extremely introverted and sometimes need like weeks of time being alone anyways.

    The good thing about an RV is that I can live at my parents home close to friends. Whenever I need some serious time alone and to get away from everything, I can take the RV to our other land and enjoy the privacy. Doesn't make much of a difference in terms of work because either way, it's an hour drive that I'm used to.

    I could just live at my parents and save, but I just can't. Too introverted and needing my space, butting heads with my father at times, etc etc. The best I can do is to share their land, give them a little money, and have my own corner to myself away from everything.

  • Real Estate Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2009 · 183 posts · 153 votes
    9y

    @Wayne Yates Alright that makes sense.  I personally wouldn't go your route of the RV but man I can't tell you how much easier life and your future real estate endeavors will be if you are loaded with cash.  So I am still in the position of recommending the RV so you can hoard cash.  Your future self will greatly appreciate it.  

    Goodluck...

  • Wholesaler · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    You could rent one of those rooms out or even both rooms and downsize the office and the gym
  • Real Estate Agent · Santa Maria, CA · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    First let me just say... You and Ralph from AK both sound awesome! Most of the feedback and options carry merit! In my small opinion: >Write down and weigh the pro and cons of rent v RV. **Compare the value you place on $$$ v family. ** If $$$ is the priority... Lose the car (KBB it) and invest in a unique motor home. Reinvest the car money based on level of luxury needed/desired. Buy diesel for sure. The gas money and maintenance costs of a car can be redirected and insurance may be less or equivalent depending on the car you currently drive. The solitude and mobility you desire may both be fulfilled, and your need for "nice things" may subside a bit if your driving a Benz model class B motor home on a daily. Furthermore, I think you may just become the envy of your family and friends as you visit with them frequently, but can bug out when you're ready, both avoiding the possibility of overstay your welcome as well as allowing them to miss you as you drive off into the sunset :). Only concern here is where to find a dump station. Also, these type of vehicles can spark many networking opportunities anywhere you park, furthering your chance at spreading the word that you're an investor. This way, all your required docs to close a deal are within arms length when the moment presents itself to secure a great deal. IDK, if you're already thinking outside the norms of how to best use your hard earned $$$, in my opinion you're already ahead of your peers. As I settle into being an empty nester trying to figure out my next move, I admire your spirit of adventure! Best wishes and post your decision. San
  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    I would definitely rent but try to downsize.  I'm an introvert as well but living far from friends is hard and even I need a little social contact.  How much is a two bedroom apartment cost compared to a three?  Would you be better off getting rid of the gym and buying a member ship for $10-$20 a month instead?  Would the move to the RV increase your travel time for work?  This would increase amount you would need to spend on gas and vehicle maintenance.   

  • Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    @Timothy Beauford I've tried that before, can't handle roommates. I work night shift, so the schedule is conflicting and I'm really introverted anyways so I need my space pretty badly. I'm thinking of doing that with a duplex though, living in one side and renting out the other! Just can't right now until I build my credit some more.

  • Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    @Sandy Blair I had to end up getting a decent car because I drive a little over 100 miles a day for work. It was only $12k. Chrysler 200, 2015, with 13k miles. Not a bad deal to me. If work were closer I would just get a cheap $5k Civic, but I don't want to buy something with 150k miles when I'm putting 35k miles on it per year. I can tell we have a lot in common with your attitude though, I'll keep everyone posted!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2011 · 512 posts · 290 votes
    9y

    Wayne, I love this question.  At your age is the best time to make these choices. I recommend Dave Ramsey's books for a personal finance start. But I would pay attention to building credit (unlike him) for your future real estate investments. Your car rate shows that this should be a focus. I love camping and have a small RV so this is appealing to me but they do depreciate rapidly. Don't buy new!  

         Ever consider a garage apartment or similar detached rental maybe behind an elderly couple's house? Your schedules would have you barely seeing each other and you may get better square footage than the rv. Also, can you get a gym membership cheaper than the extra bedroom rent? Just a couple of thoughts. 

         This is the right time to make these changes; good for you! Also, Scott Trench's book comes out today from BP.  It sounds like it is right up your alley! Listen to all the podcasts on BP for inspiration when you need it. 

         One last thought - is there Uber or lyft where you live? One way to get that car to pay for itself or give you work when the job slows down.  Just some ideas. Keep up the good work!

  • Wholesaler · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Oh ok I can understand that I currently live in a duplex of my own and I rent one unit out and stay in the other and it really works for me. You should look into a company called limaone capital and another called creative capital partners there not your typical finance company. There's always a way!!!
  • Cornelius, NC · Member since 2016 · 104 posts · 51 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Wayne Yates:

    @Shaun R. that's the EXACT reason why I would want to do it. Just to drastically cut expenses for a year. I can save a lot of money, read a ton of books, continue to build my credit, get my RE license, etc. It's just hard to be 24 years old making almost $5k a month and imagine living in a 30 foot space. I live in an apartment now with super nice furniture (seriously, my couches are electric and my bed is too), a 50 and 60" tv, electronics, etc. It's going to be a little odd to get rid of it all. I think it'll be best though because I'm starting a small side business and can use my room at my parents for work space

    Instead of being impressed with your income, you should concentrate on remembering your poor credit.  That's your main problem right now, right?  You need to control your immature desires to buy "stuff", before you financially deserve it.  

    I hear you complaining about the noise problem of living in a big college town,  and can't help but wonder why you choose to live there?  Why not move to B'ham or somewhere with more stable work and a more grown up atmosphere?  Why drive 1 hour to work?  

    I think you're getting a lot of good advice & good questions here.  You'll do fine, if you can manage to build your credit & control spending.  

  • Claremore, OK · Member since 2011 · 65 posts · 23 votes
    9y

    @Wayne Yates I myself was thinking about doing this. I saw lots of videos on youtube about van dwellers who pay all expenses  with the cash flow from real estate. Funny thing... because the cost of living in an RV is so low they can save up the cash flow to invest in new properties all the faster

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 736 posts · 582 votes
    9y

    I haven't read through the comments but I'll give my perspective/views...

    My Mom married a guy after my step-dad passed in 2008.  He was a master electrician.  Not only has he worked as an electrician over the years but he also worked at various odd jobs including as a cook at a burger joint.  He had the dream of owning his own business as a an electrician.  In order to succeed at his dreams, he lived out of his van for a very long period of time (greater than two years).  That's right - he worked out of his van and he lived out of it.  Not quite an RV but same concept.

    Fast forward quite a few years.

    He is currently retired (he also spent some time in Kuwait as a contractor - he's very frugal) and he's very happy living in a condo.  He and my mom just paid $147k cash for a condo to rent out.  They live comfortably.  He supports his son (my age at 45) by giving him a check of $1,500 per month to help his son's family.  He has various annuity's and is happy with his life.  I have no idea how much money he has saved and quite frankly, it's none of my damn business...but his story shows what tenacity and hard work can do for you.

    If you can get away with the lifestyle and make it work then go for it.  It's not the ideal life but if it's what it takes to make your goals happen, and you have the testicular fortitude to do it, then do it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.