Tenant inspection at 6 months ????

Tenant inspection at 6 months ????

Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 157 votes

Hey, I just purchased my 1st rental property a couple months ago. In June it will be 6 months since the tenants have been in place. I would thinking of doing a 6 month inspection at the property. What u guys think out that ?

2Reply
92 views

Most Popular Reply

Yuba City, CA · Member since 2017 · 101 posts · 52 votes
9y
Isiah Ferguson I give the least amount of notice as legally possible because I want to see how the tenant normally live! Without knowing I am coming... good way to get the real picture... I have never heard of replacing a filter being mandated by any law... at least not in California but definitely very good preventive maintenance for a large cap expenditure as mentioned by Andrew Johnson !
See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Yuba City, CA · Member since 2017 · 101 posts · 52 votes
    9y
    John Anderson I am not concerned with a unit looking "lived in" I am concerned if there are housekeeping issues and or damages that they are not reporting. I don't like to wait till a resident moves out to repair broken doors damaged blinds etc because you hardly get that all back. A judge wouldn't not find fault with you protecting your asset just need to make sure your leases backs you up. Inspections are just for these reasons to inspection the condition of the unit.
  • Investor · Clifton, NJ · Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 54 votes
    9y
    Replacing HVAC filters monthly(which I recommend as an hvac professional) is a real pain in the butt. And gaining entry to a tenants unit EVERY MONTH will annoy them. Almost anyone would rather accept the responsibility themselves. Whether you can trust them to do it is another thing. I feel like this is why people include it in the lease. Not to 'nickel and dime' the tenant. Heck, you can buy a case of filters for $1 each and leave it there.
  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    Thanks for all you guys feedback. I have put a notice together to inform the tenants I will be doing an inspection and will slide the notice under their door tomorrow morning. Also I create a checklist for the actually inspection and I will be bring my handyman too oversee. I'm already too go. Thanks again

  • Property Manager · Dunedin, FL · Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 34 votes
    9y

    I agree with the idea of not making the tenant feel like they are interrogated. I've found keeping them at ease creates a better experience for all. Ideally you want them to tell you when something is wrong, not finding it 3 months later. Changing smoke alarm batteries gets you in all the bedrooms and checking for leaks under the sinks gets you in all the bathrooms/kitchens. Then walk around the outside of the property.

    @Isiah Ferguson On the handyman, I would learn everything you can from him. You are paying him to be there, use him. Maybe next time you can do the inspection and just call him in if you see something that is not right.

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Phil Weiler. That is completely understandable.

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    How ironic, tenant called a few hours ago saying their sank & bathtub are clogged. I was feeling a little weird doing my first inspection but this make this situation even sweeter now that they need a minor problem fixed. I'm not going to go with my prior handyman who's charging me $100. I reached out to another guy that I haven't work with yet and he said he'll fix the issue and do the walk through for $50  

  • Investor · Union, NJ · Member since 2011 · 838 posts · 295 votes
    9y

    Anyone who believes it is a federal mandate to be required to change air filters are insane!! Upon lease signing I show them how it is to be done, the correct size and where to buy and provide them 3 filters (1 newly installed and 2 spares) and say please change every 3 months.

    I have it built into my lease that if this is not done landlord may purchase and bill tenant.

    I have never had an issue with this in the past...

    best regards,

    Chris

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Can anyone suggest where I can find a list of all the things I should be taking note of when making an inspection list? Also, when you do a 6 month inspection will I need to do a full inspection? Or would a walk through of the basic ware and tear be enough. Cheers.

    Terry

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Thomas S.:

     All state legislation requires that a landlord give written notice in advance of setting foot on a rented property except shared common areas and in the case of a emergency.

     "ALL"? I think not.

    Missouri, for one, has no such statute.

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y

    If I'm given a 48 hour notice of my landlord coming to re-inspect in tn, and they do not, do they have to give me another notice before they decide to come again?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.