Tenant inspection at 6 months ????

Tenant inspection at 6 months ????

Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 157 votes

Hey, I just purchased my 1st rental property a couple months ago. In June it will be 6 months since the tenants have been in place. I would thinking of doing a 6 month inspection at the property. What u guys think out that ?

2Reply
100 views

Most Popular Reply

Yuba City, CA · Member since 2017 · 101 posts · 52 votes
9y
Isiah Ferguson I give the least amount of notice as legally possible because I want to see how the tenant normally live! Without knowing I am coming... good way to get the real picture... I have never heard of replacing a filter being mandated by any law... at least not in California but definitely very good preventive maintenance for a large cap expenditure as mentioned by Andrew Johnson !
See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Isiah Ferguson absolutely appropriate at this time! Good to see how they are doing, how they are keeping the property and if they have any issues, maintenance or any non compliance 

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    I do my inspections quarterly, top to bottom inside and out.

    Any damage found you repair and bill the tenant. Since you are a new owner you should have inspected and documented, with photos, and received a signed statement by tenant acknowledging condition at time of purchase.

    Tenant should not be held responsible for any existing damage unless you received a documented statement from the previous owner , signed by the tenant, detailing the condition of the unit at the time the present tenant moved in.

    If you did not do this your June inspection will be your start point with this tenant.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I will drive around outside see if cars are parked on the front lawn. Strangers in and out  as in announced sanity check.

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Isiah Ferguson DefInitely do it but you don't have to metaphorically kick in the door and yell: INSPECTION! Bring replacement air filters with you. Tenants don't replace them and they extend the life of your HVAC system. Technically, I think they recommend you replace them every 3-4 months. In any case, you can look around at that point.
  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    Thanks. Would you guys recommend sending a letter to the residence a couple weeks a head of time to inform the tenants they will be an inspecton coming up ? Also should it be a morning inspection and I'm thinking on a Saturday?

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Account Closed Really?  It's a federal mandate?  It can't be written in or out of a rental agreement?  That's surprising.  I just do it because I don't want strain on an HVAC system because of a $5 air filter from Home Depot that my PM replaces every few months.  

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Isiah Ferguson Legally, you have to give 48 hours notice unless there are some specific exceptions.  Since it doesn't sound like you're trying to catch any lease-violation behavior I'd give more notice than the minimum.  Give the two weeks and try to be accommodating about scheduling.  If you have to hang out at the local Dairy Queen for 45 minutes in between inspections, big deal, it's better than ticked off tenants.  

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    You had best get up to speed on your state laws governing landlord tenants rights. You are treading on very thin ice not knowing the law if you intend to be a landlord. All state legislation requires that a landlord give written notice in advance of setting foot on a rented property except shared common areas and in the case of a emergency.

    You do not book appointments with tenants you give them notice, they then either make the effort to be there or they do not. It is their choice. If you are afraid to exercise your rights or fear your tenants take a witness with you to protect your rights.

    Tenants that are given legal notice can not legally bar entrance by a landlord and do not need to be present for the landlord to enter. Tenants may not legally change a lock without providing the landlord with a key.

    Learn your laws people or risk ending up in court.

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Account Closed What?  You were the one that said it was the landlords responsibility.  Which implies that it's not voluntary (ie a choice) on the part of the owner.  My understanding is that it's one of 100 things that can be included (or not) in a rental agreement.  You don't need to construct ad hominum attacks saying I'll run around posting how to use air filters as a reason as a reason to evict.  That doesn't further the discussion. 

    My perspective was that regardless of what you *have* to do as an owner (or property manager) that replacing them (at the expense of the owner) is practical and prudent.  Nickel and dining the tenant doesn't come into it. I don't nickel and dime them but air filters don't come into it.  It's an issue of extending the useful life of a cap-ex item.

  • Yuba City, CA · Member since 2017 · 101 posts · 52 votes
    9y
    Isiah Ferguson I give the least amount of notice as legally possible because I want to see how the tenant normally live! Without knowing I am coming... good way to get the real picture... I have never heard of replacing a filter being mandated by any law... at least not in California but definitely very good preventive maintenance for a large cap expenditure as mentioned by Andrew Johnson !
  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Isiah Ferguson My original point (now murky and clouded) was that if you are changing the filters at the same time as doing your inspection it can smooth out (or take away) any "gotcha" thoughts that make go through a tenants mind when they hear "inspection". And you extend the life of your cap-ex item as well. I might be in the minority on this one but the last thing I want is for a hassle-free tenant that pays on time to feel like I'm *inspecting* them. Then again, I'm also the guy asking my PM if there are cost-effective improvements I can make to the property rather than just cut costs. I own commerical multifamily so happy tenants are more likely to refer their friends (when a vacancy opens) than ticked off ones. So, while I can't quantify it, I think being speedy with owner maintenance, being accommodating to tenants, etc. will payoff over the long term.
  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    Thanks again, everyone for their feedback. I'm currenlty getting my inspection list and letter together. Also I will replace the HVAC filter as well. You guys are apprecaited and i hope someone else can learn from this forum. 

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    Also I was thinking of walking through the property with my new handy man just to have a over seer. Does that make sense ? and what do they typically charge for the walk through ? @Andrew Johnson

  • Property Manager · Bowie, MD · Member since 2017 · 120 posts · 67 votes
    9y

    imho, you should send out a letter stating that you will be doing a PM. In my experience when I've sent out letters to change filters, the leave their bedrooms locked. (After changing the door knobs...violation) limiting my access to just the furnace.

    When you send an inspection letter, they get defensive and hide serious problems.

    PM letters that state that we will be doing repairs allows them to complain about everything, while making it less of an intrusion when you are going into their master closet (and the noticing the water damage stain caused a loose screw in the overflow plate when they take a bath. It's leaked in there 3 times, but they forgot to mention it."

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    @Vern M. Thanks for feedback. Also I was considering being my  handy man just to have a over seer. Does that make sense ? and what do they typically charge for the walk through ?

  • Property Manager · Bowie, MD · Member since 2017 · 120 posts · 67 votes
    9y

    I you are not comfortable in your knowledge about identifying current and potential problems, then only bring a handyman that you trust (will always find 10 more probs than are really there) give him $50 to change filter, clear drains with zipit, flush boiler, hwh, check outlets etc. And then have him give you prices (broken down by t&m) for issues. Then decide if they are worth doing 

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    @Vern M. He's already charging me $100 to walk through. So I'm guessing if I have him change the HVAC filter, clear the drains, flush boiler etc. I'm expecting to pay more ?

  • Real Estate Broker · Mount Olive, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 310 votes
    9y

    @Kim Meredith Hampton

    Welcome to BP. 

    Great post!

    We do a quarterly inspection regardless. You will be surprised how many things tenants don't tell you about. I have found damaged walls, broken screen doors, broken windows, etc. 

    Hope it helps. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Mount Olive, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 310 votes
    9y

    @Isiah Ferguson

    Welcome to BP. 

    See my comments just above.

  • Property Manager · Bowie, MD · Member since 2017 · 120 posts · 67 votes
    9y

    he's getting $100 for just walking with you? I would list out what you expect during the visit on a checklist and make sure that he completes that. Bigger issues and concerns should be documented on an other sheet. I would not pay more than that

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    Changing the air filters is not necessarily the landlords responsibility, it all depends on what your lease agreement states. The only mandated item I am aware of for all states is that the batteries in the smoke sectors must be changed and itvis the landlords responsibility. As for bi annual or quarterly inspections, you should have those stated in the lease agreement. You must give written notice to yourvtenants prior to entering ( except for emergency situations) and for these routine inspections, I highly recommend providing thectenant at least 7 days notice with a few appointmentbtime options in the event they wish to be present. I also recommend you bring one witness with you if the tenant will not be present. 

  • Watertown, MA · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 42 votes
    9y

    I do a walk through every six months on my properties. I give my tenants a week or so notice, and I bring a bunch of 9v batteries to replace the ones in the fire alarms. 

  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Isiah Ferguson that's a long time to wait to get back into the unit.  You should get in there sooner if you can.  How much notice do you have to give to the tenants in your market before you can get in?  Good rule of thumb that works for me is at least once quarterly either by my property manager or myself if I'm in the market.  Best of luck to you.

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Some people do that and some don't.  It really depends on what you are looking to find or see.  

  • Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
    9y

    @Isiah Ferguson

    As for the air filters,  I would recommend getting a yearly contract with an hvac company to come out an clean the ac in the spring and furnace in the fall.  Around here it runs ~$160 on up.   If you have 1" thick filters I would change them monthly. Depending on how dirty they are but 3 months max.  If you have the large 4" or 5" filters they can go 6 months before replacing.   I replace them myself as we know the tenants won't.  It allows another time to get into the unit.

    I do a one month inspection after move-in then quarterly.  At $100 for the handy man to come do a walk thru is pricey.  You need to learn what needs fixed or not.  I would create  / google a check list to help you out. 

    Every time you are in the unit check the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.  Review your lease and local laws on who is responsible for them.  

    Take pics or video of anything broken or looks funny to compare back to. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.