Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 3 votes
We own a single family home in a residential neighborhood that we rent to a nice family. They have been there almost 3 years. The house next door is also a rental and that tenants plays his music very loud at times which greatly disturbs my tenants. I was able to get the phone number of the person that owns that rental and talked to him. He seemed concerned but now it's year later and this problem is still going on. I've talked to the police, but they can only do something if they catch them "in the act" so to speak. This is mainly a summer-time problem. Our tenants have talked directly to this tenant but nothing has been solved. Any suggestions?
Property Manager · Gurnee, IL · Member since 2012 · 94 posts · 43 votes
9y
The tenants need to call the police when the excessive noise occurs. This will start the paper trail. I don't know that there is anything you can do, aside from what you've done already, since you are not experiencing the issue firsthand. Once there is enough documentation then the city/village can impose noise/other violations on the tenants and property owner, which I think is the most effective way to handle it.
There is always only one solution to this type of problem. You must instruct your tenants to call the police (not you) every time there is a noise problem. This is not your problem. Your tenants must take responsibility for the solution themselves.
Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
I agree that the Police are the solution to this. I've called on neighbors before for my primary residence but for tenants I've always wondered how I'd handle it if they complained about a neighbors music. I'd urge them to call the Police. All they will do each time you call is ask them to turn it down. Usually as soon as they leave it will go right back up. You'll call them out 2-3 times that day and they never cite them. It requires too much effort for them....
Rental Property Investor · Marion, IA · Member since 2016 · 150 posts · 74 votes
9y
I'd agree with the other comments before mine. It's an issue between neighbors and they need to address it first with the neighbor and then with the police if the neighbors have not been willing to respect a reasonable noise level.
By the way, since everybody is a smartphone user these days, there are apps that will record decibel levels. Perhaps that along with a little video might help the tenant persuade the neighbor, and/or police with some data?
Noise is a relative term. What the tenant considers noise may be an overly sensitive ear to a form of music they don't appreciate.
Either way, I'd stay out of it as the landlord. It's disappointing and may even affect your tenants length of stay with you.
Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 736 posts · 582 votes
9y
It's the tenant's problem - not yours.
The tenant needs to call the police when it's an issue. Check local ordinances because there is a misconception that there are "quiet hours" and that's not true in all jurisdictions.
From personal experience, I can tell you that the police are more willing to respond if the complaint is backed up by a signed report. I can also say that aside from the police department, Denver has a "Department of Environmental Quality" which is MUCH more effective than the police department.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y
Have the tenants call the police. Our town would cite them if they were too loud. That being said I can't get another town to cite the ice fisherman when they are drilling at 6am so it's all in who you know and how much support there is for enforcement.
You can communicate again with the other landlord but unless there are police complaints why would he do something like a nonrenewal.. far as he knows life is good.