Moving away from my NYC property, but need a "Managing Agent".

Moving away from my NYC property, but need a "Managing Agent".

Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 8 votes

For those of you not familiar with owning property in New York City, if You own a building with 3 or more units it must be registered with the city and you have to provide contact information for someone that actually lives in the city. This person, if not the owner" is call the Managing Agent.

I find myself moving away from NYC, but am not sure what to do about finding a Managing Agent. I'm looking to the forums for advise or ideas. I've found property managers very scarce here, I haven't actually found one yet. I've heard they exist and may charge upwards of 20% (may or may not be true). I don't need anyone to manage the property. I just need someone to satisfy this city requirement of having a Managing Agent.

I know there's alot of snowbirds out there that live in Florida or other places, but own property here. What does one do when they're not big enough to have a Superintendent, but  just big enough to have to register with the city?

I look forward to discussing this with everyone. Thank you in advance.

0Reply
61 views

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flushing, NY · Member since 2012 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    9y
    Hey I have a solution. Please pm me
  • Scott WolfPro Member
    Lender · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 957 votes
    9y

    Hi @Scott Williams how big is the property? I have someone that may work for you.  They manage 8+ properties in the 5 boroughs.

  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Hi @Scott Wolf. It's a 3 unit in Brownsville, Brooklyn

  • Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    9y
    Scott, how long have you owned the property and how long have your current tenants been renting from you?
  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Hi Hamish. Thank you for your questions, but I think they are irrelevant for my topic. It's great cash flow and I'm not getting rid of the building anytime soon.

  • Scott WolfPro Member
    Lender · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 957 votes
    9y

    @Scott Williams Unfortunately, that's too small for my connection.  Best of luck in this and the move!

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    Hey Scott, 

    Best of luck finding a property manager or managing agent in the area. I am interested in investing in Brownsville. How was your experience? Do you have an agent you could recommend?

    I would love to take you out for a coffee. Do you still live in NYC.

    All the best and have a great day!

    Laura

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2013 · 272 posts · 165 votes
    9y

    Would the people on this thread mind if I drew your attention to this related thread?

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/721/topics/456718-brooklyn-landlords-want-to-share-a-part-time-roaming-super

    We're also seeking to share a part-time as-needed roaming "Super" in the Brooklyn Area so it might be a good fit or a win-win for all!

    Thanks!

    BR

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2013 · 272 posts · 165 votes
    9y

    BP moved my thread for some reason. Please now use  THIS URL: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/721/topics/45...

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    Hi Scott, 

    My name is Nishbell and I run a small PM company in Brooklyn mainly for homeowners. Where's your property located?

  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 8 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Nishbell McNamee:

    Hi Scott, 

    My name is Nishbell and I run a small PM company in Brooklyn mainly for homeowners. Where's your property located?

     Hi Nishbell. The property is in Brownsville. Im happy to talk with you about it. Please PM me.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    9y
    Scott Williams I had three managing agents in 10 years. 3 family in bed stuy. My agent was always the tenant on the first floor. Some would shovel, sweep, tend to leaks and even paint. Others would do nothing and I had to outsource all of that. I typically gave a 200 a month rent discount for this service. The tenants that did less i would drop the discount to 100. There were hiccups but it worked and I saved more than 100k over PM.
  • New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 173 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    @Scott Williams did you find a managing agent for your property?

  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Hii @Christopher Rodriguez. I have not yet found a managing agent. I will consider building this function into whomever I rent the first floor unit to. I've received some good examples from others here on BP. Thank you again to all of you. I don't like the idea of having to give a percentage of the rents to someone for doing almost nothing with the property. Please let me know your thoughts if you like. I'm always open to new opinions and info.

    Thank you for the question.

    Scott

  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    9y
    Scott Williams how many units are vacant? I used to lease most of my Apt's to a short term rental company. They would in turn furnish and sublease out the pats on short term rentals. The term was always greater than 30 days to avoid running afoul of the law. They paid market rent or a bit better but the best part was they would manage the property as part of their business. All leaks, complaints, snow, garbage, paint was taken care of. I'm not sure how far they would go into east NY and they like at least 2 units in a building.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.