Rental property renovation questions

Rental property renovation questions

Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 12 votes

Hi, dear landlords on BP!!! I am going to close my first BRRRR house this month and will start the renovation next month. The strategy for this house is for rent for a few years then sell it or maybe just keep it as a rental house. So we gonna redo the whole house as we want the ARV good because we use the hard money.

We already have a family who will rent it and they have a beagle dog. So is that better to have the tile even in the bedrooms? As the dog may scratch the laminate floors even while they run around in the house.There are laminate floors in the living room and bedrooms but some part is old, so we plan to remove them and put the floor looking tiles in the living room and kitchen. But as they have dog and for future renters who may have dogs, is that better to put the same tiles even in the bedrooms and the hallway? 

And any other tips for renovating rental properties? I appreciate all tips. 

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

Best Advice ever,, NO Pets, NO dogs, No Cats.. equals NO problems..

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Burbank, IL · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 21 votes
    9y

    You can tile the bedrooms but it might cost an arm and a leg if you have to support the sub floor for the tile (i.e. cement board on the floor).  Have you considered commercial laminate, AC5 grade.  They are a little bit more expensive but hold up pretty well.  

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 12 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Matt Shields:
    Originally posted by @Yingchun Li:
    Originally posted by @CJ Ashton:

    I'm a fan of the wood-like tile.  Looks good.  Holds up nicely.

     yeah, I like it too. Do you choose ceramic or porcelain? I see the ceramic is economic for a rental house especially I gonna do the whole house. Is it good enough?

     Ceramic is usually cheaper, but porcelain is more durable. Also, if scratched or chipped porcelain is the same color all the way through. Ceramic has a different color under the surface. 

    Good to know that. I think we will buy porcelain. 

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 12 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Linda S.:

    Here is an example of the ceramic wood looking tile we use, it's  durable, waterproof, doesn't stain, easy to clean, can't say enough good things about tile!!!    People put down rugs/carpet, so it even secures it more!   It takes the stress out of being a landlord if the tenant has a dog.  (disregard missing baseboard)

    And yes, porcelain tile is much nicer, but it's more expensive. 

    Thanks, Linda!!! It looks very pretty!!! I may just go ceramic as I need nearly 1600sqft for the whole houses includes bedrooms and bathrooms. Good to know ceramic tiles can also be waterproof.  The worse case is when some pieces got cracked we can charge from the deposit to change the title or let the tenant fixes it. 

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 12 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Mike Reynolds:
    Originally posted by @Yingchun Li:

    Hi, dear landlords on BP!!! I am going to close my first BRRRR house this month and will start the renovation next month. The strategy for this house is for rent for a few years then sell it or maybe just keep it as a rental house. So we gonna redo the whole house as we want the ARV good because we use the hard money.

    We already have a family who will rent it and they have a beagle dog. So is that better to have the tile even in the bedrooms? As the dog may scratch the laminate floors even while they run around in the house.There are laminate floors in the living room and bedrooms but some part is old, so we plan to remove them and put the floor looking tiles in the living room and kitchen. But as they have dog and for future renters who may have dogs, is that better to put the same tiles even in the bedrooms and the hallway? 

    And any other tips for renovating rental properties? I appreciate all tips. 

    I would go with the tile. I used to do a lot of work for a larger investor and one by one we replaced all the flooring with tile. 

    There was one that was a long term tenant that wanted laminate so we did that. Two years later we replaced it with tile anyway. She had moved in dogs even though that was forbidden. 

    In Texas tile is to me the best way to go. Just use ceramic or whatever is on special that suits you. Cat urine it whatever else just needs cleaning and disinfecting and not replacing. 

    Thank you for the great tips, Mike!!!  Is the ceramic tile easily got a crack if some heavy things fell on it especially in the kitchen? I think even it happens, it won't take so much work and cost to replace some pieces of tiles. what do you think?

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I wouldn't base your remodel off of that one tenant. Also, you may not want to rent to tenants with pets after you have just renovated.  

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Yingchun Li:
    Originally posted by @Mike Reynolds:
    Originally posted by @Yingchun Li:

    Hi, dear landlords on BP!!! I am going to close my first BRRRR house this month and will start the renovation next month. The strategy for this house is for rent for a few years then sell it or maybe just keep it as a rental house. So we gonna redo the whole house as we want the ARV good because we use the hard money.

    We already have a family who will rent it and they have a beagle dog. So is that better to have the tile even in the bedrooms? As the dog may scratch the laminate floors even while they run around in the house.There are laminate floors in the living room and bedrooms but some part is old, so we plan to remove them and put the floor looking tiles in the living room and kitchen. But as they have dog and for future renters who may have dogs, is that better to put the same tiles even in the bedrooms and the hallway? 

    And any other tips for renovating rental properties? I appreciate all tips. 

    I would go with the tile. I used to do a lot of work for a larger investor and one by one we replaced all the flooring with tile. 

    There was one that was a long term tenant that wanted laminate so we did that. Two years later we replaced it with tile anyway. She had moved in dogs even though that was forbidden. 

    In Texas tile is to me the best way to go. Just use ceramic or whatever is on special that suits you. Cat urine it whatever else just needs cleaning and disinfecting and not replacing. 

    Thank you for the great tips, Mike!!!  Is the ceramic tile easily got a crack if some heavy things fell on it especially in the kitchen? I think even it happens, it won't take so much work and cost to replace some pieces of tiles. what do you think?

    That's the best part. All it takes is fixing the broken pieces and some grout. They even have some colors of grout in a tube that will fit in your caulk gun for easier fixes. Save all your extra pieces so you can fix them later. Every batch may be a little bit different so by keeping them you won't know the difference.

  • Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    DO NIOT CHARGE A PET DEPOSIT.... It is a PET FEE

  • Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Yingchun Li:
    Originally posted by @Linda S.:

    Thanks, Linda!!! It looks very pretty!!! I may just go ceramic as I need nearly 1600sqft for the whole houses includes bedrooms and bathrooms. Good to know ceramic tiles can also be waterproof.  The worse case is when some pieces got cracked we can charge from the deposit to change the title or let the tenant fixes it. 

     If you go with a tile I would put down a crack isolation membrane to help keep the tile from cracking due to deflection of the floor.  This is typically missed.  Here are several by Mapie and there are other mfrs out there as well.

    http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/Tile-&-Stone-Installation-Systems/Crack-Isolation-and-Sound-Reduction

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 12 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jim Adrian:
    Originally posted by @Yingchun Li:
    Originally posted by @Linda S.:

    Thanks, Linda!!! It looks very pretty!!! I may just go ceramic as I need nearly 1600sqft for the whole houses includes bedrooms and bathrooms. Good to know ceramic tiles can also be waterproof.  The worse case is when some pieces got cracked we can charge from the deposit to change the title or let the tenant fixes it. 

     If you go with a tile I would put down a crack isolation membrane to help keep the tile from cracking due to deflection of the floor.  This is typically missed.  Here are several by Mapie and there are other mfrs out there as well.

    http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/Tile-&-Stone-Installation-Systems/Crack-Isolation-and-Sound-Reduction

    Great tip!!! Jim. Thank you. I will let our contractor do that!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.