• Rental Property Investor
  • Gainesville, FL
Votes |
Bad tenants - we need a database :-(

Daria B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Gainesville, FL
Posted Jul 31 2017, 18:43

I know this is probably border line - privacy issue - if not fully frowned upon. :-|

The title of my post - these tenants had no respect for the property - why doesn't there exist (again, venting) something that landlords can document what the tenant did to the property and share it? It would not be anything other than what we do now with our properties but we would be able to share that with other landlords. This would help others see just how bad/good tenants are.

Even doing the back ground check, debt 2 income, credit check all the other verifications - just doesn't always seem full proof. I've read of the professional tenant and how they manipulate the system.

Mostly venting here and telling others whether you self-manage or have a PM - get all and do all documentation pre and post tenant move.

Going through a disputed move out - pictures were taken (pre-move in and post move out) and the written documentation clearly has everything checked off as fair or good condition. 

I was mortified at the condition.

The PM did all the right things and the tenant is disputing all the SD as though there was no damage.

They broke things and didn't say a word - they glued a kitchen draw back on - glue dripping down the face of the draw and it was on crooked. :-/

They changed the front door lock, I assume they broke it since there were so many other things that were broken.

They never changed the air filter - clumps of dirt and dust on all the vents and the return register.

Holes in the wallls and dirt all over the walls from kids hands and who knows what.

They almost burned down the house from the cooking being done with grease. Had to replace one stove and pretty much the replacement was also ruined. The cabinets took a few days to get the grease and grim off. Scratches weren't superficial but to the point of having to paint several cabinets. :-/ Crayon? Really?

Manipulative is what comes to mind knowing the condition and still they feel they are not culpable.

Ok - venting done and I'll be riding this to some sort of conclusion.

Loading replies...