Persistent Problem with my Condo and I'd like your opinion/help

Persistent Problem with my Condo and I'd like your opinion/help

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 4 votes

Hi Everyone,

Just recently approximately 1-2 weeks ago I was able to get a contractor to finish the work needed to stop a water leak into not my condo but in the condo unit below. Insurance was unable to cover the cost of the condo citing that it wasn't my unit etc. So I decided to do the responsible thing and attempt to get it resolved with my own set of funds. The leak was started from my understanding due to the sub-floor being cracked/damaged in some way shape or form, prior to me acquiring this property, which allowed water to essentially go from my unit to the unit below. I had a plumber check the connections they stated to me it wasn't a plumbing leak, contractor told me the same thing, HOA maintenance guy told me the same exact thing. So I bit the bullet and hired a contractor who told me that he would be willing to take care of the issue and bring the bones of this restroom up to today's building code and assured me that it would be done correctly and properly.

The total bill was $6,300 which to me was quite a bit and now I'm still running into the issue of water still leaking into the condo unit below a week or two later. I'm stressed out and I don't know what to do, I just got off the phone with the owner of the condo unit below. I'm taking a trip to the property today around 6:00PM EST to take a look at possibly why this is recurring. What are things I should be actively looking for this second time around? Since this was a licensed and insured contractor what are my options for recourse? I'm going to give the contractor a call as soon as I take a look at the property this evening. Are there specific questions I should be asking the contractor?

The pictures below are pictures before work was done to the unit the first picture is of the plumbing and everything seems to be fine, second picture was of mold accumulating which has since been removed, and the pictures below the first two show how the unit looked before any tiles were removed and replaced.

Today the unit looks exactly like this and my tenants have no issue showering but for some reason water is still leaking into the unit below causing damage to the Sheetrock on the top of the unit below which I don't have any pictures of.

If any of you have a few recommendations as to what I should look for and what I should be doing to make the owner of the bottom unit whole again please do let me know. I'm really confused as to what my next steps should be. 

-Danial Q.

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Levi T.Pro Member
Rental Property Investor · Tucson AZ / Nice FR / Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

Turn the water on and leave it running, then go look at the issue and see whats leaking.. See nothing, wait a little more, still see nothing. Pour a cup or two, of water on the floor beside the shower to see if it's just water from the tenant getting out of the shower. Once you find the absolute source, go talk to the contractor. Good luck!!!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Levi T.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tucson AZ / Nice FR / Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Turn the water on and leave it running, then go look at the issue and see whats leaking.. See nothing, wait a little more, still see nothing. Pour a cup or two, of water on the floor beside the shower to see if it's just water from the tenant getting out of the shower. Once you find the absolute source, go talk to the contractor. Good luck!!!

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Get some UV dye you'll find out quick where it's coming from.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @Levi T. that is what we initially assumed and we checked everything we did find that when water accumulated on the floor that it would seep through. Which is the reason why I needed to get a contract involved so that they could remove all the tiles replace the subfloor, seal it properly and hopefully the water wouldn't go through.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Matt K.:

    Get some UV dye you'll find out quick where it's coming from.

    Actually that's a good idea i'll try to do that today and hopefully find the issue.

  • Levi T.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tucson AZ / Nice FR / Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Looks fairly run of the mill water issue...Generally speaking; You have tile, grout, durock board, and adhesive. If it's confirmed that it's non-plumbing related, you likely need to re-grout  the section in question. Assuming the picture provided is up and no down, that's you problem spot. Easy fix, grout, maybe put some tile sealer down to help the grout, and enforce the wood underneath. It's not uncommon for grout to separate at corners, that right at the shower, just takes a small crack or hole, and the water an flow an through. What you see in the photo is long term damage, like years.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @Levi T. what you've mentioned is exactly what the contractor already did. The bottom most picture is the most recent. I'll report back when I'm at the property today. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.