Landlords Demand Rent for Flooded Homes from Harvey Victims

Landlords Demand Rent for Flooded Homes from Harvey Victims

New to Real Estate · Warner Robins, GA · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 2 votes

Folks,

Until I started getting interested in becoming a landlord/real estate investor, I never thought about the impact a natural disaster would have on your rental property let alone the tenants that are displaced or even injured. I ran across this article (link below) about this landlords demanding rent for flooded out rental homes during Hurricane Harvey. 

Have anyone had to deal with a similar situation? Is there an ethical way to demand payment or can you chalk up the loss rent on insurance claim? The article seem to emphasis the cold hearted owner stereotype but I would like to hear some opinions.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/landlords-demand-rent-f...

Regards,

JoDale

0Reply
18 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @JODALE Blanding   Some people panic when stressful things happen.  I am sure some of the landlords are trying to figure out how they are going to make their mortgage payments.

    If the house is flooded and sheet rock has to be removed you can forget keeping the deposit or getting the rent.

    I think the appropriate response is to say something like...

    "I think it is clear to both of us that the house is not habitable.  Please remove your stuff as soon as possible so I can start the cleanup.  I can meet you to get the keys and give your deposit back."

  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @JODALE Blanding Two different scenarios can take place depending on the severity of the damage. 

    One it could be destroyed and the owner could take a loss of rent on their insurance (if they have this included)

    Two, they could have the tenant vacate for the portion of time that they need to fix the property back to habitability. The rent would be abated until they can move back into the property. Some owners just eat this cost if it is too low of an amount of claim on insurance.  If it is a substantial amount, they could claim loss of rent too.

    Go away IRMA!!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.