can I evict an elderly tenant on disability to sell property?

can I evict an elderly tenant on disability to sell property?

Real Estate Investor · Glen Saint Mary, FL · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 9 votes

I would like to sell a rental property which has one tenant that a realtor who was managing for me, placed in there almost 2 years ago.

This tenant only pays $325.00 monthly which does nothing for me other than help pay the property tax.  This is a quadraplex out in Starke Florida which has one vacant rentable unit, while the other two need rehab. My current job as a truck driver takes up so much of my time that I no longer can commute to this property at my leisure, much less rehab or repair anything. The current tenant happens to be elderly, on disability and has had a recent surgery. She pays the rent on time so far, but I think If I can sell this property for a break even or a small loss, I could find me a cheap franchise to completely get away from rentals someday. This tenant is on a month to month agreement which hopefully benefits me here in Florida. My concern as mentioned to me by a realtor that I wanted to list under told me that the tenant has to sign the lockbox addendum. If I have no cooperation from this tenant will I be able to easily evict her to be able sell the property? Could I sell it to another investor if I could show proof she does so far pay the rent or did the realtor who managed the property really screw me over with this now concerning situation. 

     I have another rental which I am thinking about selling and the tenant who also pays fairly timely just told me today of this post: " There are soft spots all over the entire floor of the modular home they are renting. I just set an appointment with a Home inspector for next week to check the floor issue. If I have to for safety reason the modular home I will have condemned and sell it for whatever I can at a later date. Im Not caring too much about rental properties anymore since im stuck with my current emprisoning career. 

0Reply
17 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russ SmithPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 70 votes
    8y

    Most leases spell out the terms for gaining access to the unit with appropriate notice, typically 24 hours in most cases unless of course there is an emergency.  I would say the first order of business is to review what the lease says.

    You have a 4-plex with one vacant unit, two units needing rehab, and one occupied with a tenant that pays on time.  She is probably the best thing you have going for you right now.  Do you still have a property manager?  If you do why isn't the other vacant/rent-able unit being leased out?

    Oftentimes, when multifamily properties are listed for sale, the owner might leave one unit vacant for showing purposes and direct prospective buyers to make their offers contingent upon viewing and approving the other units.  This way, you're not excessively disturbing the tenants and you can have a real offer on the table you can work with.  This is probably the best bet considering your situation.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    A month-to-month lease can be terminated with the 15-day notice prior to the next rental payment period. If they fail to leave then you can file an eviction

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    Feel free to give me a call.

  • Investor · Grovetown, GA · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Not sure why the tenant would need to sign a lock box addendum.  Why couldn't  lock boxes be on the other 3 units and the RE agent call the tenant with 24 hrs notice  that potential buyer would like to see her unit and a time be setup.  Tenant being there for 2 years will help your selling property since buyer will have some income coming from property at purchase. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    you have another option  you can raise the rent by giving her proper notice

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.