• Rochester, NY
Votes |
Share your WORST tenant requests?

Mark Updegraff
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Rochester, NY
Posted May 6 2010, 09:13

Relative newbie to Landlording 101 (just over 2 years)

What is the WORST (stupid, funny, challenged etc) request a tenant has made to you? It can be written or verbal

I'll go first, I expect you more experienced landlords to have some excellent ones :D

"Will you sign this document that says my boyfriend has lived here for the last 6 months so he can collect taxpayer dollars for degenerates?" (OK, I'm taking creative liberty on this quote)

me: "No, he isn't on the lease and no one told me he was living here, by the way, have him fill out this application."
fast forward 2 weeks, I get a letter from DSS saying that he lives there and I need to do this and that so he can get taxpayer dollars. I say, he isn't on any lease of mine. DSS: Well, we have it right here in front of us... that's right they forged a new lease and sent the sucker in!

"I know the rent was due on the 5th, and it is now the 18th, would you mind waiting until next week to cash that check?"

"Our hallway window is broken, can you come fix it"
A new Double hung vinyl window looked like a brick was thrown through it. After I got there to "fix" it I reply "Fix it? Why didn't you say REPLACE it on the phone? I'll have to schedule this with my contractor"

OK OK, that is all for me.
Give it a go, it feels GOOD :D

User Stats

Votes
Marco Y.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • North Jersey, NJ
Votes |
  • North Jersey, NJ
Replied Feb 8 2018, 08:07

I have one "interesting" tenant who gives me a good story every few months. Last week he called frantically in the middle of the night saying his car was stolen. I tell him "call the police". He says ok hangs up.

Calls me back 20 minutes later and says "hey can I borrow $300 it turns out my car was towed by the city because I kept parking it at the hydrant."

Me: "No, you can't borrow $300"

Tenant: "Ok well just GIVE ME $300 from my security deposit then" (By the way this guy still owes half a month of deposit that I still havent received).

Me: "Seriously?" 

User Stats

Votes
Keith N.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Ottawa, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Ottawa, IL
Replied Feb 8 2018, 10:58

A tenant called to complain that the dryer wasn't working, and could I replace it?  When I went to check it out, I found a dense blanket of lint in the trap.

Me: When was the last time you emptied your lint trap?

Him: What's a lint trap? My mom always did my laundry

Another tenant complained that the heat wasn't working, so I went over to check it out.  They'd removed the thermostat batteries for their remote control.

On that same visit, there's a cat, litter box, cat toys everywhere.  They didn't have a cat in the lease.

Me: I'm sorry, sneaking in a cat is a violation of your lease.  You have 30 days to move out.

Her: No, it's okay! I'm just watching him for a friend of mine.

Me: You aren't allowed to have any animals, per your lease. That includes watching them for a friend.

Her: That's not fair! The least says I can't have a cat, but it's not my cat, so it shouldn't count!

Another tenant called around 8pm to ask if I could replace their window right away that night.  He'd lost his keys the night before, so he broke the window and climbed in. The apartment was cold all day and he was worried he wouldn't be able to sleep that night.  This was in January in Illinois.  I boarded up the window that night, then had the glass replaced and gave him the $95 invoice.  He asked if he could get a pass on paying the bill since this was his first time.  I told him it's only $10 to have the door unlocked if he's locked out (I live down the street).

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Heimsoth
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
  • Durham, NC
Replied Feb 8 2018, 13:11

Some of these make me very happy my tenants don’t have my phone number.

User Stats

Votes
Shane H.
  • Investor
  • Spokane Valley, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Spokane Valley, WA
Replied Sep 19 2018, 12:57

haha these are great, i could read them all day. I remember reading a much longer thread with the same/similar subject. There was a "crazy things applicants say" and a "things tenants say/do" but i can't find the tenant one for some reason.