Share your WORST tenant requests?

78 Replies

Relative newbie to Landlording 101 (just over 2 years)

What is the WORST (stupid, funny, challenged etc) request a tenant has made to you? It can be written or verbal

I'll go first, I expect you more experienced landlords to have some excellent ones :D

"Will you sign this document that says my boyfriend has lived here for the last 6 months so he can collect taxpayer dollars for degenerates?" (OK, I'm taking creative liberty on this quote)

me: "No, he isn't on the lease and no one told me he was living here, by the way, have him fill out this application."
fast forward 2 weeks, I get a letter from DSS saying that he lives there and I need to do this and that so he can get taxpayer dollars. I say, he isn't on any lease of mine. DSS: Well, we have it right here in front of us... that's right they forged a new lease and sent the sucker in!

"I know the rent was due on the 5th, and it is now the 18th, would you mind waiting until next week to cash that check?"

"Our hallway window is broken, can you come fix it"
A new Double hung vinyl window looked like a brick was thrown through it. After I got there to "fix" it I reply "Fix it? Why didn't you say REPLACE it on the phone? I'll have to schedule this with my contractor"

OK OK, that is all for me.
Give it a go, it feels GOOD :D

"Hey, you cashed my rent check it made a bunch of other checks I wrote bounce. You need to pay all my bank fees."

Ummh, No.

"Well you deposited it on the first and you usually deposit it on the 6th or 7th, so you need to pay"

Ummh, No.

Email less than one hour later."We have mold in our house and we are going to sue you."

"You need to come and sweep and clean my basement, it's dirty down there." (Dirt basement)

I get requests all the time to add/remove people from leases to better scam the rent agencies.

"We'll renew our lease if you replace the furnace, our gas bills are too high. "

Originally posted by Jon Klaus:
"Hey, you cashed my rent check it made a bunch of other checks I wrote bounce. You need to pay all my bank fees."

Ummh, No.

"Well you deposited it on the first and you usually deposit it on the 6th or 7th, so you need to pay"

Ummh, No.

Email less than one hour later."We have mold in our house and we are going to sue you."

"mold" in the house has really become the all-purpose tool and/or excuse for losers, hasn't it?

lol jon, that's hilarious..you have to watch that "spontaneous mold" it's a new breed that only pops up in rentals right when the lease is about to expire, or there's a repair that the landlord denies :D :D

Here's one from the renter's point of view for all you landlords out there :-) (I rent):

email sent to landlord on the 2nd: "Have you sent out our rent+utilities bill for the month of may yet?"

his Reply the 3rd:"will be emailed to you tonight"

his reply the 5th: "sorry, will be emailed tonight"

It is now the 10th, and we still haven't received our bill, nor has he replied to an email I sent yesterday. Keep in mind we cannot pay our rent until he sends us a bill b/c utilities are included in the rent.

That's right folks, I can't convince this guy to let me GIVE him money lol.

In all seriousness though, I'm sort of worried about the situation. Hopefully we don't get a notice to move soon because he's lost the house to the bank or something.

Once had a tenant ask to build a deck.

But, the stupidest question..."How do I get gas for my furnace"

Me..."gas for your furnace, not sure I understand?"

Tenant.."my coworker says our furnace runs on gas."

Me..."Yes it does. It runs on Natural Gas"

Tenant.."Yeah that is it. Where do I get that"

Me...want to say "you are to dumb to rent, get out"...but simply tell her "just pay your MLGW bill"

Tenant.."O crap"

I have had two weird request from prospective tenants:
1) to build a fence in the backyard so her grandkids can play there. Mind it, she advised that she was going to live in the 3/2 property by herself.
2) to remove laminate and carpet the living room

i just got a request...well more like a mandate, from the city....code inspector walked the apartment and found a few minor things..no biggie...the thing that pissed me off was he said the bathroom sink was filthy and i had to clean it...i said, if i have to start cleaning my tenants' sinks, they'll be getting 30 day notices...since when is it a landlord's responsibility to clean up after a tenant?!

Originally posted by BryanA:
i just got a request...well more like a mandate, from the city....code inspector walked the apartment and found a few minor things..no biggie...the thing that pissed me off was he said the bathroom sink was filthy and i had to clean it...i said, if i have to start cleaning my tenants' sinks, they'll be getting 30 day notices...since when is it a landlord's responsibility to clean up after a tenant?!

Wait wait wait... was it an empty apartment that you were going to rent out soon? I can understand that... but cleaning up after a messy person? Isn't that what maids are for? hmmm...

An old LL I knew once told me to always leave a couple of serious-looking but easily-fixed problems for the city inspector to find.

Ain't it sad to have to play these games?.....

nope, he's been living there for 2 months now..and it was a brand new sink and vanity as well....yes, these guys feel like they gotta find stuff...it's a joke...i had one tell me to mop the kitchen floor also

I was told I need to remove all cobwebs in basement for a C of O.

Also while not the tenants the city told me I need to evicit my tenant and board up the house for 3 months because they suspected she was selling drugs. This is my problem how?

C of O... more like C of NOOOOOOOO

:D
The city sent out a bunch of $100 fines for open violations about 6 months ago and I got 3. Since there was no warning of the fine, I think it is un-constitutional and have yet to pay. They haven't followed up on it, so I guess time will tell on this one.

Landlord: How many people will be living in the house.

Prospect tenant: Just me and my girlfriend.

Landlord: Noone else, children?

Prospect tenant: No children at all...but we do have 4 pitbulls.

Landlord: 4 pitbulls?

Prospect tenant: Well not actually 4 pitbulls, one is a rottweiler mixed.

This is from a buddy of mine renting his 3/2 for the first time.

I see you are in Roch also Mark, I got one of those 100$ case management fee fines as well. I wrote in a dispute and they didnt make me pay. Some of the things this city does makes me want to go elsewhere..

Originally posted by Stan Jackson:

It's a violation of fair housing to ask about children. You can only ask for the total number of adults and/or occupants. Unless your friend meets certain guidelines found at www.hud.gov

Had this one the other night at 10:30pm. There's a cockroach in our apartment. I literally told them to call the cops if they were scared and to clean up there place! I think I was justified (and a good rental market)...

Originally posted by Alex Craig:
Once had a tenant ask to build a deck.

But, the stupidest question..."How do I get gas for my furnace"

Me..."gas for your furnace, not sure I understand?"

Tenant.."my coworker says our furnace runs on gas."

Me..."Yes it does. It runs on Natural Gas"

Tenant.."Yeah that is it. Where do I get that"

Me...want to say "you are to dumb to rent, get out"...but simply tell her "just pay your MLGW bill"

Tenant.."O crap"

Man that takes the cake. Should have told him go 5 miles east of the nearest walmart,turn left,go down 5 blocks,stop,get out of car,dig a hole 2 feet deep and if you find natty gas congrats if not I just made you a fool :mrgreen:

Originally posted by Marc Freislinger:

It's a violation of fair housing to ask about children. You can only ask for the total number of adults and/or occupants. Unless your friend meets certain guidelines found at www.hud.gov

I was about to type the same exact thing.
Although this friend of yours is a first-time LL, it doesn't relieve him from knowing the fair housing law.

You both missed the point of the topic, nothing further!

Keep 'em coming, these are hilarious!

Tenant: "can you come over and change our lightbulbs in the kitchen?"
Us: "no"
Tenant:"Well we can't reach them"
Us:"there is a ladder in the basement"

Tenant:"the smoke detector is dangling"
Us:"reach up and turn it till it clicks in"

Tenant:"We have fleas. You have to pay to remove them"
Us:"You have a cat. YOU have to pay to remove them"

Tenant:"Water came in and wrecked our shades. can you buy us new ones?"
Us: "No - your rental insurance should cover it."
Tenant: "can you pay our deductible, it's too high"
Us:"no you should have opted for a different plan"

Good tenant: "Bad tenant's BOYFRIEND just called the cops on me. I'm just moving my stuff in"
Us calling bad tenant "What is going on over there?"
Bad Tenant:"Good tenant just backed her car into my boyfriends so we called the cops"
US: "Well your boyfriend is not allowed to park there and he's not on the lease"
Nice welcome huh?

I could go on

You both missed the point of the topic, nothing further!

Keep 'em coming, these are hilarious!

it was a side note. your friend is lucky he wasn't reported over this violation.

Not bizarre, but a tenant asked for a storm door. House has a wooden door but she wanted a storm door with a glass front for more light into the living room. I said sure, but you have to pay my contractor to install it. Never heard another word about it.

My standard response now to these kinds of requests is that if the house received a C/O as/is, these things weren't required and the tenant can pay for them if they want them.

There are some good one's here!!! What about this one? I fun my ad in the paper saying no pets!! People call all the time and say "What about a hampster or a small well trained dog?" My response: "No, if I let you have that I have to let someone else have 3 pitbulls, cant do it!"

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here