I need some help on this issue ASAP please!!!
I have a vacant property, newly renovated, which has been broken into a few times in just a couple of weeks. I need recommendations for security measures and things to help deter further attacks on this house.
First, 2 of my exterior doors with new deadbolts were broken. They pryed the door open, breaking the jambs and pinching the deadbolt beyond repair. Then, today, one of my contractors informed me they found drug paraphernalia inside this morning. We leave all inside and outside lights on all night. All doors are secured with deadbolts and latches and jamb reinforcement. Strangely enough, the only things stolen were a kitchen faucet (not yet installed) and an installed floodlight--both of which were very inexpensive, thankfully.
I'm very grateful that, so far, they've not vandalized the new work we've done inside. But that seems inevitable at this point.
I'm considering installing a full security system. It could be worth the expense. Any recommendations? I want to hurry and secure this place as best I can.
@Terri Pour-Rastegar I have a great security plan that works for me on my flips in bad areas! know I am coming in late here, but wanted to give you and others the info on what I do. First, I have flipped homes in bad areas, with higher crime. I flipped a home last year that was in an area where there had been 6 robberies on the same street in the last few months. There was even a flip that was broken into, and they caused lots of damage.
I have a very simple fix and it has worked 100% of the time for me. I pay someone $20 per day to stay in my home. I simply post on Facebook that I have a flip and I need someone who can be there every evening while the work is being done. I tell them it will not be glamorous, but it is a free place to stay and they get paid a little for their time as well. I usually get 3-5 people who call me and I see who I feel will be best.
A few months ago I did this on a flip and I was called by a former Marine who had just gotten out of the service and had a job, but could not afford his own place yet. He was living in his car temporarily. He was thrilled to sleep on the floor with a sleeping bag. I provided some additonal blankets etc...
I had another stuation with a flip, and I had a college kid stay there. He took classes during the day but stayed in my home each night. He was in a dorm with like 4 guys, so being able to crash in a vacant house and get a few minutes of privacy was great for him.
I could go on and on with examples, but I have never (knock on my fake wood table) had a property broken into or vandalized when someone was staying there in the evening. Even in bad areas I have had success. Be sure to inform your insurance company that someone is staying there. In some cases this will actually reduce the cost of your insurance. I know with the company I use, it is lower the moment someome begins to stay in the home. I pick good people who need help, but are hard-working.
However, I do believe that bright security lights that are motion sensitive and a loud motion detector alarm inside is a great idea if the house is left vacant. You can get good backup battery systems for these products, so even without electrical they will work and make a lot of noise and shine a lot of light.
David Beard,
Thanks for recommending the simplisafe security system. Come to find out, this company is also endorsed by Dave Ramsay, which is kind or cool. I just ordered, received, and installed my system last night. It took me all of 20 minutes! very cool, and so much cheaper than the quote I got from ADT!
Sounds like a bunch of great neighborhoods . My neighbors are my best alarm . I let them know what I drive and who and when someone will be working . I tell them to call the cops first then call me . I let the neighbors park in the driveway when I am not there . I also found out who the neighborhood badass was and had a talk with him . Told him I was fixing the house , dont need any problems , I have problems , that means cops , cops mean questions and more cops . I havent had a problem after that
I am not sure if you have Goodwill or another thrift store nearby. I just bought a TV for .49 at Goodwill. The perfect inexpensive solution... put it on a timer along with a cheap lamp.
1. Burglar Bars and Doors are great at HELPING to deter criminals from breaking in. While they don't always work, (I've had burglar doors broken as well), they should still be installed when possible.
2. Lights serve as a deterrent, but by themselves aren't good enough either. Sadly with burglars, you're often dealing with folks that deal with substance abuse, and that tends to make them a bit more fearless. I once caught someone breaking into one of my properties via the front door in broad daylight.
3. I use a mobile alarm system using a combination of drive way alarms and straight talks mobile alert system. Straight talk runs off of the at&t network and they only charge $10/month with no contract. Their system is easy to install (no wires to run) and will text/call up to 4 or 5 people if memory serves me correctly. While straight talk is great (and cheap), It doesn't make enough noise. To fix this problem I also use a driveway alarm (a motion sensor attached to a siren) that goes off as soon as anyone enters via the main entrances. My hope is that the siren will scare the crap out of them, and straight talks mobile alert will notify me so that I can get over there with the cops. The driveway alarms that I use are from amazon (Bubba's home security) and cost less then 20 bucks per unit.
4. Lastly, it's important to secure HVAC. For central you should secure the outside unit with bars. For window units, in addition to bars, you should make sure that the unit is literally screwed into the window in as many places as possible.
I admit I didn't read all of the posts on this so sorry if this is a repeat. I have not personally used these guys, but a partner of mine has.
They are pretty cool.
Burglars don't want to break a window to enter, because it makes too much noise and they may get cut by glass! Therefore, I have very decorative security-bar doors, glass block basement windows (the ones with vents for air circulation), motion detector flood lights, and very nosy neighbors, whom I stay on good terms with!
@Terri Pour-Rastegar I have a great security plan that works for me on my flips in bad areas! know I am coming in late here, but wanted to give you and others the info on what I do. First, I have flipped homes in bad areas, with higher crime. I flipped a home last year that was in an area where there had been 6 robberies on the same street in the last few months. There was even a flip that was broken into, and they caused lots of damage.
I have a very simple fix and it has worked 100% of the time for me. I pay someone $20 per day to stay in my home. I simply post on Facebook that I have a flip and I need someone who can be there every evening while the work is being done. I tell them it will not be glamorous, but it is a free place to stay and they get paid a little for their time as well. I usually get 3-5 people who call me and I see who I feel will be best.
A few months ago I did this on a flip and I was called by a former Marine who had just gotten out of the service and had a job, but could not afford his own place yet. He was living in his car temporarily. He was thrilled to sleep on the floor with a sleeping bag. I provided some additonal blankets etc...
I had another stuation with a flip, and I had a college kid stay there. He took classes during the day but stayed in my home each night. He was in a dorm with like 4 guys, so being able to crash in a vacant house and get a few minutes of privacy was great for him.
I could go on and on with examples, but I have never (knock on my fake wood table) had a property broken into or vandalized when someone was staying there in the evening. Even in bad areas I have had success. Be sure to inform your insurance company that someone is staying there. In some cases this will actually reduce the cost of your insurance. I know with the company I use, it is lower the moment someome begins to stay in the home. I pick good people who need help, but are hard-working.
However, I do believe that bright security lights that are motion sensitive and a loud motion detector alarm inside is a great idea if the house is left vacant. You can get good backup battery systems for these products, so even without electrical they will work and make a lot of noise and shine a lot of light.
something like this would be a good start. once they hear that alarm once don't really think they will be coming back
https://www.amazon.com/Fortress-Security-Store-Wireless-Business/dp/B00A1D90Q6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485555193&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=home+alarm+system&psc=1
Rental properties are being target as well. Im looking for a smart camera solution with a hotspot with some sort of baby camera or motion notification. This post is great. We use window and yard signs and watermarks where allowed. We manage just over 200 single family homes here in Tampa. Some are even trying to lease out homes that use Supra locks not realizing they can't get a code. I had someone break into a property last month and move a tenant in and take her for 2500 bucks. I worked out a deal to put her on a lease. In FL you can't do anything. If they have key or even a bill in their name good luck, you have to file for ejection without a lease. That takes months. Evictions don't take but a month or less if done right, that's why I negotiated to put her on a month to month lease. Anyway I like what Im reading here. I hope to figure out a simple reasonably priced security system like ring or similiar with deadbolts that we can control and monitor without internet but with a hotspot.
Hi Terri,
Do you have any type of property management service in the area that would check on your house on a regular basis? Does it sit vacant except for when your contractors are there?
Just curious to know your situation. I run a business in Palm Springs, For a fee, I keep an eye on investor properties if the owners are not local or just don't have time to run around. I'll check for water leaks, vandalism, other maintenance issues. I can even coordinate a turnover for a rental. There may be a company in your area that does similar.
Happy Friday
Patrick