How much can I charge for rent on a new build spec home

How much can I charge for rent on a new build spec home

Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 0 votes

I'm wondering what sounds reasonable to charge for the two extra rooms in a recently purchased new build spec town home.   The townhome is across the street from the metro rail in Austin, Texas.

Details:

Square Footage: Square Footage

1st Floor: First Floor

2nd Floor: Second Floor

Here's a link to rentometer for 3 bedroom apartment/townhome rentals in the vicinity of mine. Rental Comparables

What do ya'll think this is my first home buy and also first landlord experience, so any tips or things I might want to know I appreciate.   Also thinking about AirBnB for one of the rooms.

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y
$600 with all utilities included would be reasonable.
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    $600 with all utilities included would be reasonable.
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Thanks Jordan

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Daniel Taki The average from Rentometer shows up as $1,678. If these are only two extra rooms with shared utilities/amenities (bathroom, kitchen, living room or some combination). IMO, your best bet to target would be in the $750 range. I say this only because the kind of tenant you will be attracting will, likely, cause more wear and tear (less permanent). You want to account for that. 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    @Omar Khan yeah that makes sense.

  • David IvyPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 352 posts · 699 votes
    8y

    @Daniel Taki

    Two 3/2.5 units have leased through the MLS in that community over the past 365 days. It looks like rents are currently around $1,650/mo. for your unit, as Rentometer also suggests. One unit has been on the market 31 days asking $1,695/mo.

    There are several apartment complexes with 1 bedroom and/or efficiency units for around $900/mo. (utilities not included) within a one mile radius. That will be your competition. So, you'll need to market well enough below those to overcome the objection, "Well, at that price, I might as well pay a little bit more to have my own place and not have to live with two others."

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Very good point, thanks a lot @DavidIvey I didn't even think to look at the 1 bedroom efficiency units. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.