Peer to Peer Payments ie Venmo or Zelle

Peer to Peer Payments ie Venmo or Zelle

Joseph CatalanoPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Lewiston, NY · Member since 2014 · 192 posts · 97 votes

Has anyone tried using Venmo, Zelle or Square Cash for your rental payment options?  We have been considering it and just wanted to see if anyone out there had any experience. We were thinking it may making it easier that going to the mailbox which a few tenants have difficulty doing. Thanks in advance.

Joseph

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor and Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

ZELLE all the way!  Zelle is a direct link to our account.  Many of our tenants pay us this way.  Payments are in real time, FREE (no fees), and tracked.  Did I mention NO FEES?!

You can request money too so if tenants are late, you can send them an invoice.

Most banking institutions are hooked up to Zelle, so anyone can use it.  You just need their email address or phone number.

The ONLY issue is that if the tenant's bank imposes a daily limit on how much they can send, they have to originate the rent a day early so they can break it up in two payments.  We have one tenant who has to do this.  It's not that big of a deal, but I thought I would mention it.  It is something that comes from the originating bank, so I don't know how any of the other systems would get around this.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    8y

    @Joseph Catalano

    I was just researching this yesterday.

    Here are 2 articles. Venmoe doesn't have very good reviews and Zelle has the backing of the big banks.

    I noticed my Wells Farg app has Zelle built in.

    https://www.consumeraffairs.com/finance/venmo.html

    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/12/business/dealbook/mobile-banking-zelle-venmo-apple-pay.html

  • Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 257 posts · 230 votes
    8y

    I just got 3 Venmo payments today and the money will be in my account tomorrow morning. I like it, and all my tenants already have it so it works for everyone.

  • Realtor and Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    ZELLE all the way!  Zelle is a direct link to our account.  Many of our tenants pay us this way.  Payments are in real time, FREE (no fees), and tracked.  Did I mention NO FEES?!

    You can request money too so if tenants are late, you can send them an invoice.

    Most banking institutions are hooked up to Zelle, so anyone can use it.  You just need their email address or phone number.

    The ONLY issue is that if the tenant's bank imposes a daily limit on how much they can send, they have to originate the rent a day early so they can break it up in two payments.  We have one tenant who has to do this.  It's not that big of a deal, but I thought I would mention it.  It is something that comes from the originating bank, so I don't know how any of the other systems would get around this.

  • Joseph CatalanoPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Lewiston, NY · Member since 2014 · 192 posts · 97 votes
    8y

    Thank you for the assistance and articles links.  We will give them both a shot and see what happens.  

  • Michael DangPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 454 posts · 273 votes
    8y
    Zelle for all the reasons above.
  • Property Manager · Metro Detroit, MI · Member since 2008 · 305 posts · 362 votes
    8y

    Cash App is another good option. Free if you wait a few days to transfer to your bank account.

  • Rental Property Investor · Biddeford, ME · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    Venmo's fine print explicitly states it should not be used for business transactions and people you don't know. The only potential issue i see with a service like Venmo or Zelle is a tenant could send you partial rent. By you automatically accepting partial rent you cannot start the eviction process. We have a few tenants in our town that are notorious for doing this. 

  • Investor · Dearborn, MI · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    I use venmo all the time.  Its great. I wouldn't use it for business though.  Its for sending friends money when they pickup your bill for you!

  • Real Estate Agent · Tucker, GA · Member since 2016 · 90 posts · 144 votes
    8y
    I use venmo, have never had an issue. Transfers right to your bank account.
  • Sun Prairie, WI · Member since 2013 · 150 posts · 69 votes
    8y

    I have one tenant that uses Zelle and it’s great. Basically instantaneous. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.