Tenants refusing to allow property showings

Tenants refusing to allow property showings

SFR Investor · South Bend, IN · Member since 2013 · 342 posts · 56 votes

I own a single family rental in Kentucky and the tenants submitted a move out notice last month for when their lease ends on Feb 28. 

They were not responsive to the property manager’s requests for showings and when queried the tenants said they are refusing to allow showings. They stated that with their move they have boxes everywhere and the wife is pregnant and so it would cause them too much stress. 

Obviously if the property cannot be shown until after they move out this will cause a longer vacancy, which costs me money. The property managers stated that the tenants are in violation of their lease but other than serve them a 30-day notice, of which they will be out sooner at this point anyway, there is nothing else they can do. 

I contested if they are in violation of their lease terms, that means they forfeit their deposit, especially since their actions are costing me money in the end. The property managers said they cannot keep the deposit for this - only if there are damages to the property itself after move out.

Has anyone else dealt with anything similar? This is at a very bad time as well because I’m looking at a new residence and investment property currently so obviously do not want the property vacant for long. 

Thanks! 

1Reply
181 views

Most Popular Reply

Louisville, KY · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 23 votes
8y
you have the keys right? tell them when the showing will be as long as you give them sufficient notice, they have no recourse.
See this reply in the discussion

72 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • SFR Investor · South Bend, IN · Member since 2013 · 342 posts · 56 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nicole A.:

    @Amie D. I think you missed what I was actually pointing out. And to be a little blunt, your view is wrong. Until those tenants actually move-out, they are indeed still your tenants. Just because someone gives notice that they're vacating doesn't mean you suddenly treat them otherwise. They are still a tenant and a customer of your business.

    The point is that you should not expect to show a unit and get a signed lease before the current tenant has even moved out. You are setting yourself up for a lot of headaches doing that. Going about things this way increases the likelihood of headaches (as I described in my first post).

    However, it sounds like you are convinced that your PM should be showing a unit while still occupied despite a few seasoned investors/landlords suggesting otherwise.

    Did you not factor vacancy into your analysis before purchasing this property?

     @Nicole A. I am not claiming to be an expert but I have rented property since 1997. It is fine if you think my view is wrong, everyone has a right to their own opinion. Yes, they are still my tenants - but as such I would expect my tenants to follow the terms of the lease that they signed. I am not treating them "otherwise" aka writing one thing in a lease and then acting otherwise. 

    You do not show properties before your current tenant has moved out. That is fine and I'm glad you have had a good experience doing that. Obviously, I and others choose to do things otherwise, and my current PM does that with their properties as well, except for this current tenant. I have not had any issues doing that over the years. I'm sorry that your experience has shown otherwise, but rather than saying your method is wrong because it's different than others, I'll just say that I'm glad you have found a method that works for you.

    Thanks for your inquiry as to my analysis on a property I have now owned for over ten years that is already paid off, so yes vacancy is always figured into the mix, however obviously as a business owner it is better to keep vacancy rates lower when possible. 

  • SFR Investor · South Bend, IN · Member since 2013 · 342 posts · 56 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Isaac Barrow:
    That can be a major hassle. We always post NOE (Notice of Entry), even when they appear willing.

     Great suggestion - thanks ! 

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Bottom-line is that you need to deal with the situation that is in front of you now.....and then change your plan as you want for the future.

    Its almost move out time anyway....so getting heavy handed wont really change much. If they have been good easy to manage tenants for 5 years, chalk it up to a success and move on....no need to make a huge drama out of it....not worth making it a battle.....

    This is what I would do...... INSIST that the PM do a "current condition" type of inspection ASAP....so you have a good idea on what will need to be done as soon as they move out. Based on that, get those services scheduled to occur as soon as the tenant is gone. Let them move out.....you can start to show it as soon as its vacant.....or get the services done and then show it in prime condition...up to you. If you plan correctly, the down time will be minimal..... the $$ lost wont be worth the drama of trying to shove the showings down the tenants throat.....pick your battles....

    Then you decide if you want to get a new PM....and add the fee to your new leases for tenant refusal to show.....make sure you follow your state laws

  • SFR Investor · South Bend, IN · Member since 2013 · 342 posts · 56 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ned J.:

    Bottom-line is that you need to deal with the situation that is in front of you now.....and then change your plan as you want for the future.

    Its almost move out time anyway....so getting heavy handed wont really change much. If they have been good easy to manage tenants for 5 years, chalk it up to a success and move on....no need to make a huge drama out of it....not worth making it a battle.....

    This is what I would do...... INSIST that the PM do a "current condition" type of inspection ASAP....so you have a good idea on what will need to be done as soon as they move out. Based on that, get those services scheduled to occur as soon as the tenant is gone. Let them move out.....you can start to show it as soon as its vacant.....or get the services done and then show it in prime condition...up to you. If you plan correctly, the down time will be minimal..... the $$ lost wont be worth the drama of trying to shove the showings down the tenants throat.....pick your battles....

    Then you decide if you want to get a new PM....and add the fee to your new leases for tenant refusal to show.....make sure you follow your state laws

    Yeah thanks, basically I'm just going to take this as a learning experience moving forward - as they say experience tends to be the best teacher, and there's always something new to learn. It was helpful seeing what other types of clauses/fees people put into their leases due to this condition so I will at a minimum be adding that to future leases. I am also interviewing another property manager today and will see his take on situations like this as well as the standard clauses. 

    Every manager has their own style - doesn't necessarily make them a bad manager (though many other things do, ha). To be fair the current managers normally give noncompliant tenants a 30-day move out notice, basically evicting them for not conforming to the terms of the lease should this happen, but in this case they were already going to move out in 30-days so doing that basically would do nothing. 

    I'm going to clarify their plans on the condition inspection, my preferred plan would be to proceed as you had stated, so I want to make sure we're on the same page moving forward at least. 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    8y

    @Amie D. where did you get the idea that violating a lease results in forfeiting your deposit? Does your lease state that? Did you consult an attorney to see if that is even legal in your state? Do you really believe that if you with hold their entire deposit and it goes to court, that you will win?

    Maybe the property manager is just being realistic. You can't force people to do something. If I was a PM, I wouldn't barge into a property after being told not to enter. That is illegal entry, even if you post notice once they tell you "do not enter", it becomes illegal. Asking your PM to break the law and force his way in is unreasonable. You can take them to court for lease violation and try to evict them, but at this point that is probably not the best decision. 

    I would tell the property manager to give them written notice of lease violation. Tell the tenant this will effect your ability to give them a good rental reference in the future. Maybe they are buying a home and don't care, but they should care. Something unexpected could happen in life that causes one or both of them to need to rent. Losing a reference for someplace they lived five years would be a big problem for them. Have the PM make it clear that it is understood the property will be messy since they are moving. The PM will accompany the perspective tenants and they will do the walk through in less than 10 minutes. The point is, you want them to leave on good terms and you want access to work on rerenting. It is a mutual respect issue. 

    Personally, with a pregnant lady and it being two weeks away, I would just wait. Take it as a learning experience. Add the statement to your lease and just move on. Taking their money is illegal, so if you chose to do that, be ready to go to court.

  • Investor · Crystal, MN · Member since 2013 · 486 posts · 277 votes
    8y

    @Amie D.

    First, I've read through most of your posts, and to me, you sound like you know quite a bit about real estate.  I also will adopt the excellent suggestion of the $75.00 fee for not doing a showing.  I disagree completely with @Nicole A., on showing the unit while still occupied.  The best tenants you can get are ones that plan ahead, have a checking account, at least ok credit, etc.  But a planner, someone who is looking for a place and can coordinate it two months out is a good tenant to get.  

    You are not wrong showing it.  But I have a couple suggestions for you.  First, why not do this in South Bend?  Been through it, you've got a major university in town, and it's a nice town.  You even have a Costco, though getting there was a hassle.  To me, I think you've got this...get rid of the PM, and do this yourself.  Manage it yourself.  Instead of a PM, find a realtor in Kentucky who will show it.  Give them one month or 1/2 month rent to find your tenant.  Many realtors have an existing list of potential tenants who are already vetted.  This is how I fill.  When your realtor shows the property, assure them your team will make the place rent ready.  Ask the realtor to set this up.  

    Collect the monthly rent through Cozy.  Build relationships in Kentucky, especially with a good realtor, who owns rental property themselves.  I have four properties 100 miles away, and I fill vacancies through a realtor.  Works very well. 

  • SFR Investor · South Bend, IN · Member since 2013 · 342 posts · 56 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:

    @Amie D. where did you get the idea that violating a lease results in forfeiting your deposit? Does your lease state that? Did you consult an attorney to see if that is even legal in your state? Do you really believe that if you with hold their entire deposit and it goes to court, that you will win?

    Maybe the property manager is just being realistic. You can't force people to do something. If I was a PM, I wouldn't barge into a property after being told not to enter. That is illegal entry, even if you post notice once they tell you "do not enter", it becomes illegal. Asking your PM to break the law and force his way in is unreasonable. You can take them to court for lease violation and try to evict them, but at this point that is probably not the best decision. 

    I would tell the property manager to give them written notice of lease violation. Tell the tenant this will effect your ability to give them a good rental reference in the future. Maybe they are buying a home and don't care, but they should care. Something unexpected could happen in life that causes one or both of them to need to rent. Losing a reference for someplace they lived five years would be a big problem for them. Have the PM make it clear that it is understood the property will be messy since they are moving. The PM will accompany the perspective tenants and they will do the walk through in less than 10 minutes. The point is, you want them to leave on good terms and you want access to work on rerenting. It is a mutual respect issue. 

    Personally, with a pregnant lady and it being two weeks away, I would just wait. Take it as a learning experience. Add the statement to your lease and just move on. Taking their money is illegal, so if you chose to do that, be ready to go to court.

    @Joe Splitrock thanks for the comments, but the idea of them losing their deposit for breach of contract/violating the lease terms as well as countering state law - which states they must allow showings with proper notice (as is also outlined by the lease) and during reasonable hours - was suggested by others who I spoke with who own rental property local to the area in which that property stands. 

    I have already stated that I am going to just move forward by talking to the property manager as an addendum to the lease for the fees/penalty as to blocking showings for future tenants. And yes, the lease does outline various scenarios in which the tenants would lose their deposit. 

    Certainly, consulting with a lawyer is an option that I have, but as this situation has only gone on for a short time and was new to me, I have not. I do not know if I went to court if I would win - no one knows that until it happens. Is this causing me financial damages because the PMs are getting requests to show the property over the course of a month and can't? I believe that could be proven to be a yes. But maybe your question was rhetorical. You stated that "Asking your PM to break the law and force his way in is unreasonable", that may be, but I'm not sure where I said I was going to do that.  

    I have talked to them about noting in their file that they had violated the lease as such for future references. They are planning on buying a house but at the same time I thought it was fair for future landlords to be aware, just in case. 

    As I posted I just found out they have had an unapproved pet at the residence and the PM also told me the residents "suggested" there are also unreported damages/repairs as well, so as I suspected this doesn't appear to be a case of simple inconvenience to the tenant versus having things to hide. Therefore I doubt it will be just me "taking their money," which is something I wouldn't do without cause to begin with anyway. 

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Amie D. @David Moore To clarify, I only disagree with showing the unit before it's vacant. I did not say it was wrong.

    What I said was "wrong" was Amie's statement:

     "in my view they "were" long term tenants - but are no longer as they are now moving out."

    Saying that someone is no longer their long-term tenants as they are now moving out is indeed wrong. That kind of opinion--or thinking--can get a landlord into legal trouble if they act upon such opinion.

  • SFR Investor · South Bend, IN · Member since 2013 · 342 posts · 56 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @David Moore:

    @Amie D.

    First, I've read through most of your posts, and to me, you sound like you know quite a bit about real estate.  I also will adopt the excellent suggestion of the $75.00 fee for not doing a showing.  I disagree completely with @Nicole A., on showing the unit while still occupied.  The best tenants you can get are ones that plan ahead, have a checking account, at least ok credit, etc.  But a planner, someone who is looking for a place and can coordinate it two months out is a good tenant to get.  

    You are not wrong showing it.  But I have a couple suggestions for you.  First, why not do this in South Bend?  Been through it, you've got a major university in town, and it's a nice town.  You even have a Costco, though getting there was a hassle.  To me, I think you've got this...get rid of the PM, and do this yourself.  Manage it yourself.  Instead of a PM, find a realtor in Kentucky who will show it.  Give them one month or 1/2 month rent to find your tenant.  Many realtors have an existing list of potential tenants who are already vetted.  This is how I fill.  When your realtor shows the property, assure them your team will make the place rent ready.  Ask the realtor to set this up.  

    Collect the monthly rent through Cozy.  Build relationships in Kentucky, especially with a good realtor, who owns rental property themselves.  I have four properties 100 miles away, and I fill vacancies through a realtor.  Works very well. 

     Haha @David thanks for your comments. Yes, I could have a realtor show the property for a fee, and manage it myself. However I've found the more properties you start to own, I appreciate having the PM's take care of the smaller things especially when I'm far away. I did try to do the distant management thing many years ago and it wasn't working out that great. I also like to have local feet on the ground so they can check on the property easily if needed as well as be aware of changing market conditions. I also liked when I could finally shut off my cell phone a night, ha. 

    South Bend is OK but I plan on moving. But I agree it's not out of the question as property is still very inexpensive there. But frankly I want to move more into commercial apartment/office/retail rental eventually. I'm completing an MBA in part to assist with my RE company, business and future investments. I will be done with that soon and then can refocus my efforts.   

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Respect their rights and have home in order before showing. The renters all expect top condition and will ask for significant discount if not meeting their high standards.

  • SFR Investor · South Bend, IN · Member since 2013 · 342 posts · 56 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nicole A.:

    @Amie D. @David Moore To clarify, I only disagree with showing the unit before it's vacant. I did not say it was wrong.

    What I said was "wrong" was Amie's statement:

     "in my view they "were" long term tenants - but are no longer as they are now moving out."

    Saying that someone is no longer their long-term tenants as they are now moving out is indeed wrong. That kind of opinion--or thinking--can get a landlord into legal trouble if they act upon such opinion.

    They are still my tenants, but tenants who have given notice and are moving out in two weeks are no longer "long-term" in my view. If I was trying to show the property for sale, and the current tenants were staying for the new owner, to me they would still be "long-term" tenants. We apparently differ on semantics, but that would not get me in legal trouble. 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    8y

    @Amie D. security deposit with holding is allowable for only certain things by most state laws. I am not an attorney, but I am also not sure your other sources are attorneys either. Assuming the property is in Indiana, this is what your law states:

    IC 32-31-3-13 Use of deposits Sec. 13. A security deposit may be used only for the following purposes: 

    (1) To reimburse the landlord for actual damages to the rental unit or any ancillary facility that are not the result of ordinary wear and tear. 

    (2) To pay the landlord for: 

    (A) all rent in arrearage under the rental agreement; and 

    (B) rent due for premature termination of the rental agreement by the tenant. 

    (3) To pay for the last payment period of a residential rental agreement if a written agreement between the landlord and the tenant stipulates that the security deposit will serve as the last payment of rent due. 

    (4) To reimburse the landlord for utility or sewer charges paid by the landlord that are: 

    (A) the obligation of the tenant under the rental agreement; and 

    (B) unpaid by the tenant

  • SFR Investor · South Bend, IN · Member since 2013 · 342 posts · 56 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:

    @Amie D. security deposit with holding is allowable for only certain things by most state laws. I am not an attorney, but I am also not sure your other sources are attorneys either. Assuming the property is in Indiana, this is what your law states:

    IC 32-31-3-13 Use of deposits Sec. 13. A security deposit may be used only for the following purposes: 

    (1) To reimburse the landlord for actual damages to the rental unit or any ancillary facility that are not the result of ordinary wear and tear. 

    (2) To pay the landlord for: 

    (A) all rent in arrearage under the rental agreement; and 

    (B) rent due for premature termination of the rental agreement by the tenant. 

    (3) To pay for the last payment period of a residential rental agreement if a written agreement between the landlord and the tenant stipulates that the security deposit will serve as the last payment of rent due. 

    (4) To reimburse the landlord for utility or sewer charges paid by the landlord that are: 

    (A) the obligation of the tenant under the rental agreement; and 

    (B) unpaid by the tenant

     @Joe Splitrock, thanks for looking up legal codes, for whatever reason you have done so. I own property in multiple states; this one is not in Indiana. I already outlined my course of action, but would consult my legal representation if I were to proceed in court, versus sourcing the internet in any case. Cheers!

  • SFR Investor · South Bend, IN · Member since 2013 · 342 posts · 56 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Sam Shueh:

    Respect their rights and have home in order before showing. The renters all expect top condition and will ask for significant discount if not meeting their high standards.

     Hi @Sam Shueh! I've always done it the way I've proceeded and haven't had issues with anyone outside of these tenants, nor had to offer discounts on rent. Sounds like you are in a tough market!

  • Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 611 votes
    8y
    Amie D. I would just give them 30 days notice. If they want to complain about stress then they will know what stress is then. In my experience if tenants are not happy then place will not show well which will cost you more than a months rent so may as well just give them notice. The longer the property sits on market the less likely you get top dollar. We almost aways remove tenants and we also try to do an open house. I would consider buying them lunch to be gone for 3-4 hours to get showings through. Sure you can play hardball and try to keep the security deposit but its not likely you can renovate an entire place off of it.
  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 253 votes
    8y

    Have you actually spoken to the tenants directly? I read where you state that the property manager is saying this but then I continue to read and see where the property manager is not returning your calls, charging you higher than normal fees etc......

    It could be that one phone call directly to the tenants and they tell you that no one has asked them to make the place available and they would be happy to help. If this is the case, it will be a valuable call because you will know to get another pm before the next lease is signed.

    on another note.....I would worry much about the deposit. If the home has been occupied for five years and they had pets the deposit is going to be swallowed up in needed repairs anyway. If not, they are some very unusual tenants.

    What part of Kentucky? I live in Louisville and if you needed they help and can get me an appointment i would be glad to go by and inspect for you.

  • Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I just wanted to add that over the years I've found I need to be flexible.  If tenants are clean, neat and property is show-ready (just needs some touch-up before re-renting), then I will show it within the last 30 days if tenants are agreeable.  However, if tenants start talking about health issues or stress or worried about valuables, guns, etc., in the home, then I just wait until they leave as I don't need the potential problems when they say the stress caused them to go to the hospital or their valuables are missing after a showing.  My PM does do inspections a month or so before lease end so we know what we're dealing with and have contractors lined up to ensure time off the market is as short as possible.   But after 5 years and them talking of stress and pregnancy, I'd definitely honor their request to wait until they've left as work likely has to be done before showings begin, anyway.  I've shown rentals (not my own, thank goodness) where tenants left toilets full, sinks loaded with dirty dishes, dirty underwear out, etc., because they were mad at having to show the home, so if they really don't want it shown, it is unlikely that it will show well, anyway.      

  • Brian CardwellPro Member
    Investor · Odenton, MD · Member since 2017 · 204 posts · 144 votes
    8y

    Cool Amie D !! Sounds like you have a plan. It will work out but I do understand your frustrations

  • SFR Investor · South Bend, IN · Member since 2013 · 342 posts · 56 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Charles Kao:

    Amie D. I would just give them 30 days notice. If they want to complain about stress then they will know what stress is then. In my experience if tenants are not happy then place will not show well which will cost you more than a months rent so may as well just give them notice. The longer the property sits on market the less likely you get top dollar. We almost aways remove tenants and we also try to do an open house. I would consider buying them lunch to be gone for 3-4 hours to get showings through. Sure you can play hardball and try to keep the security deposit but its not likely you can renovate an entire place off of it.

     Haha @Carles Kao, well, we could have given them 30 day's notice but at that point they would be out in less than 30 day's so it would have really not done anything. At this point since they will be moving out in two weeks I am just going to use it as a learning experience, write a clause in the next lease and move on. Another investor who has a property nearby just told me his rented in three days, as far as I know that area has always been easy to rent, so I'm hoping that will still hold true, because I agree the longer the property is on the market the harder it is to rent. It looks like the renters were hiding an unauthorized pet and some damages so they will probably lose their deposit over whatever they were trying to keep secret anyway. 

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Your rental market must be pretty hot to be able to show and rent it out before the current tenant is actually gone. Never done that before...... I've always wanted to have it in the most pristine condition before anyone sees it. I would think most tenants don't have the vision to see what it will look like when they move in vs the mess/needs work condition its in now . Or your tenants take fabulous care of the units, so they look near rent ready already, which would be awesome....

    If that works for you, I'm jealous......

    Good luck with the new PM search....

  • Investor · Bayside, NY · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I would not force the issue if the tenant is uncooperative, and he can retaliate in creative ways.

    I have a rental where the next building is also a rental where the owner also owns the local grocery store down the block where I sometimes hangout. We were trading tenant stories and he told me of one tenant who refused showings. When I asked him what he did, said he forced the issue, threaten fines (per the lease supposedly) and threatened legal action. The tenant finally caved and said "if you want to show the place so bad, go ahead".

    In his case, he was doing showings to sell the property. He thought he asked the right price, the property had no issues, yet some months went by, got no offers, he finally took it off the market. 

    Several years later, he found out the tenant had been telling buyers stories, the place had mold, the furnace had major problems, water problems from the back yard etc. none of which is true. But the tenant that they have to be present for all showings, which many of my tenants requests, and normally I accommodate that.

    But the story have a happy ending. He bought the property in the early 1960's for $35K, thought he took some money off the table in 1970 for $70K. When I spoke to him in the mid 90's in the middle of a real estate crash no less, the property was worth $300K, and he's holding on to it.

    BTW, I had a rental where the tenant was reluctant to do showings. I forced his hand, and he allowed realtors to do showings. Two months went by, and one realtor finally told me he's not wasting his time on it any more and I would have better luck if the tenant moved out because of the terrible housekeeping. He's got stuff on the floor all the way from the living room to the bedroom, and people have to step over the junk to see the place. Yelling at the tenant will do no good as he's suffering from depression and moving home to mom, and on top of which he's too tired to shave or bath apparently. The realtor advised me people are creeped out seeing the place and smelled the tenant.

    So there are cases where you're better off not showing. My place rented in a week after he moved.

  • Charleston, WV · Member since 2017 · 113 posts · 50 votes
    8y
    After renting a house for 5 years I’d gladly give them 2 weeks. It may not be ideal but have your painters and cleaners there the first. Not worth a law suit or them damaging your house as revenge
  • Rental Property Investor · Edison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 753 posts · 565 votes
    8y
    I would suggest making an agreement with your property manager that they do an inspection at least every six months. Every three months would be ideal. That way you will not be surprised when a tenant leaves with an unreported pet and repairs which were not previously reported.
  • Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    Good info. I had never thought of the penalty for not showing. That will be in future leases from now on. I agree with others in having the property management check out the property asap as a routine inspection. It is a good idea to know what it going on that way. I just walked through one of our rentals to find smoke alarms missing or without batteries. Reaffirmed that regular checks are important. You're probably stuck with waiting on showings as trying to get your pm to do something they don't want to will be tough. Sorry to hear about this mess, but thanks for posting about it. Another lesson learned.
  • Investor · Pueblo West, CO · Member since 2014 · 310 posts · 213 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nicole A.:

    @Amie D. I think you missed what I was actually pointing out. And to be a little blunt, your view is wrong. Until those tenants actually move out, they are indeed still your tenants. Just because someone gives notice that they're vacating doesn't mean you suddenly treat them otherwise. They are still a tenant and a customer of your business.

    The point is that you should not expect to show a unit and get a signed lease before the current tenant has even moved out. You are setting yourself up for a lot of headaches doing that. Going about things this way increases the likelihood of headaches (as I described in my first post).

    However, it sounds like you are convinced that your PM should be showing a unit while still occupied despite a few seasoned investors/landlords suggesting otherwise.

    Did you factor vacancy costs into your analysis before purchasing this property?

    If it was me, I would show the property even though they said no. Just give them 24 hours. If you bring potential tenants with you they are less likely to verbally attack you during the showing. If your property manager is unwilling to show the property without tenant consent, then you should be looking for a new property manager. They are the one costing you money, not the tenant.

    I own two college rentals close to major universities. Because of the academic calendar I typically have a signed lease 2-4 months before they occupy. As a result, I always show property when it is occupied. I have had one property for 11 years and the other for 6 years. My vacancy has only been one day across the two properties. That was because my cleaning person doesn't work on Sundays.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.