Insurance - Replacement Cost well over market value

Insurance - Replacement Cost well over market value

Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 29 votes

 I have two properties in escrow in Saint Louis City. They are both four family properties in desirable locations (quality tenants).

The purchase prices are $349,000 and $290,000.  However, as these properties are all brick construction, the typical insurance quote provides astronomical replacement estimates (~$1M each).  I want sufficient insurance, but if something catastrophic were to happen I would construct under more modern building methods. Specifically, I would use wood construction with brick veneer. This is the method of choice for new construction in St. Louis. The goal would be to maintain the curb appeal / authentic look, but at a much lower replacement cost.

Thus, I'm looking to find an insurance agent / receive quotes that understand this dynamic. It makes no sense to me that I would insure a home from $1M, when the market value is $300K. Let me know if you think you can help, and I would love to discuss options available.

I'm planning to buy 3 more 4 family units this year, and will continue to buy multiple properties a year for many years to come. As such, it's important to me to find a solution to this problem, and the status quo of over insuring these properties just doesn't work for me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

0Reply
177 views

Most Popular Reply

Jason BottPro Member
Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

@Edward Burke

What you are looking for is an Insurance Policy that replaces the Coinsurance clause with the Agreed Value clause.

This policy gives you the ability to insure a building for less than the Replacement Cost, without being penalized for not insuring 100% of the Replacement Cost.

Most companies do not offer this coverage, which is why your not getting great responses to your request.

Also, if your calling the companies you list above, they are not players in the commercial Insurance space, and the agents don't have the ability to craft a policy to your needs.

There are several insurance carriers that can do this.  I'll send you some additional info.

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 29 votes
    8y
    @Chet Hileman - Thanks for solidifying the Shelter Insurance recommendation! Does anyone know if they have a co- insurance clause (link below for definition if needed), or does this only come into play if insured below market value (rather than below replacement cost)? I asked Shelter via email, but no response yet. https://www.irmi.com/online/insurance-glossary/terms/c/coinsurance-provision.aspx
  • Lender · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    I've got a Shelter agent that I refer my clients to here in STL. His name is Bill Newhouse, i would defer to him on this. You can give him a call and tell him you spoke with me, just let me know if you would like that. Thanks!

  • O Fallon, MO · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    I am going to throw my name in the hat for Shelter. We used this strategy on our buildings. Easy process.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 29 votes
    8y

    @Matt Conrad - Thanks!  I've decided to go with Shelter for my current properties....always good to keep getting confirmation that they are the preferred choice!

  • O Fallon, MO · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Where are your properties?

  • Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    I am running into this issue in Philadelphia, Pa. The replacement cost for a duplex I purchased is 70% more than what I paid for the property, any luck in PA with insurers?

  • Investor · Arcata, CA · Member since 2015 · 89 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    I found that Traveler's Insurance will do a replacement cost policy, but they are able to modify it down to what you want your coverage to be. For example, they calculated the full replacement cost of my 3 family in Shaw as $625,000, but I have coverage for $350,000 (slightly above value). 

    I found this to be a cheaper option than ACV with Shelter. Has anyone else used Traveler's?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.