Not allowing Fire Arms?

Most Popular Reply

Ryan MurdockPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

Finding good tenants can be difficult enough without making certain their political views align with yours.

See this reply in the discussion

67 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mooresville, NC · Member since 2013 · 16 posts · 25 votes
    8y

    Some people cant help themselves and must bring their politics into everything.....

    A person that passes all the requirements for a CCW goes through a pretty thorough background check and gets finger printed.  So common sense says that they have lower crime rates than non (legal) gun owners.  

    Free advice: Investing and politics don't mix.  Turn off CNN and listen to a BP podcast perhaps.....

  • Mooresville, NC · Member since 2013 · 16 posts · 25 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Thomas S.:

    Statistically speaking it is extremely rare for a gun to be used in self defence.

    Discharges within a home are not in self defence. There in lyes the liability risk for landlords.

    Do you think gun owners sit around their homes twirling pistols around their fingers and shooting into the air every time their football team scores a touchdown?

    Plenty of instances where guns are used in self defense or as a deterrent and has saved a homeowners life.  Perhaps cool it on your talking points and realize that America has a unique background with civilian firearm ownership and its what made and makes America what it is. Its not going to change by shunning and discriminating against ppl. Sorry to say.... not really.

  • Panama City, FL · Member since 2017 · 83 posts · 77 votes
    8y

    Statistically in Florida a police officer is 3 times more likely to commit a violent crime than a licensed CCW holder.  Perhaps you should no longer rent to police officers. 

  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Yes! You can ban firearms on your property.  I would suggest Google if you want the facts about gun related death and injuries.  It is very well studied.

    On the low end people with access to a gun are three times more likely to commit suicide.  They are also more likely to commit murder, accidentally kill themselves or someone else.

    I personally knew someone who committed suicide with his father's police weapon.

  • Rental Property Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2017 · 266 posts · 312 votes
    8y

    My situation may be local to the state of Oklahoma, but this was my experience. I was an educator in a rural school system. I lived in a house on school property used for the superintendent. I was approached by a school board member who knew I was a hunter. He informed me that I could not keep my firearms on school ground as it was against state law to have them on school property.

    After I talked to a lawyer friend, I was informed that while the property was on school grounds (and owned by the school), it was my personal abode and therefore exempt from the law barring firearms on school grounds. He said a landlord can prohibit smoking, pets, drugs trampolines, and pools, etc but not firearms as are they are a protected right given to all citizens (whether they choose to participate or not).

    My friend called the school's lawyer and the matter was settled. However, the school board member ( a local landowner) was informed he could no longer park his pickup on school property as long as he carried his rifle in his pickup (they all do in Oklahoma). ;-}  I am told he still parks across the street from the school during board meetings. FYI I always kept my firearms locked in a safe unless I went hunting. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2017 · 266 posts · 312 votes
    8y

    @Tyion Bridgeman    It definitely isn't a second amendment issue as some posters are claiming. The second amendment allows one to have a gun but doesn't give carte blanche to take it wherever you like. 

    It is true that some areas can be classified as a no firearm zone. However, that does not apply to your personal residence. IF you are not a felon, mentally unstable or on a terrorist watch list, there are no laws preventing you from possessing a firearm in your personal residence. 

    @Greg Westergard   

     There was a story here about a man who backed over his grandchild with his car. His son was renting the house where it happened. Are you suggesting we should ban our renters from parking cars on the property or owning a shovel, golf clubs, steak knives, baseball bats, hammers, etc? You have the right to own all of those things. It will become a very slippery slope.

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 135 posts · 40 votes
    8y

    @Guy Yoes Your misunderstanding the situation. The question isn't if there are laws that prevent people from possessing a firearm in their personal residence, but if a property owner can enact their own rules in the lease that ban them from their "private party". The answer to that question is, with exception to the few states I listed above (MN, VA, TN), a resounding yes. As a property owner you can include in the lease a ban on firearms.

  • Rental Property Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2017 · 266 posts · 312 votes
    8y

    @Tyion Bridgeman Thank you for your response.

    In my situation, there was no lease just a verbal agreement on living in the property and the amount of rent.

    As a landlord, I understand I can prohibit smoking, pets etc.. So I can, in reality, put anything I want into the lease and if they sign it, I can act upon the violation of any prohibited act even if it violates a constitutional right (in this case firearms)? Would this be true for political signs in the yard (as another example)?

    Thanks again for redirecting my response.

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 135 posts · 40 votes
    8y

    @Guy Yoes

    Yep, as long as you it in the lease you can have any rule you want, as long as said rule doesn't discriminate against a protected class. In your situation with no written lease it would be impossible to enforce any band of the sort.

  • Ryan MurdockPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Guy Yoes My lease explicitly prohibits signs of any type - including political ones. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.