Lease expires, tenant signalling they will refuse to vacate

Lease expires, tenant signalling they will refuse to vacate

Broomfield, CO · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 8 votes

I have a tenant who came by way of a temporary housing agency. Their son burned their house and the insurance company moved them into a hotel. The temp housing agency found my rental through Zillow and contacted me. I already had a tenant lined up ready to sign a 1 year lease but after hearing about this family's circumstances I decided to meet with them and show them the house. Then after talking to them and getting a better sense of their plight, I caved and signed a 6 month lease and sent the other qualified tenants away. At the time I felt it was the right thing to do.  

The tenants income is not sufficient to support the rent payment so I used the temporary housing agency as their income qualifier.  The temp agency refused to be named on the lease. I still signed a lease with the tenants and the temp agency has sent all 6 monthly payments on time. It's really been good in this regard even though I was nervous throughout the last 6 months. we will not do this again.

I contacted the family 45 days before the lease is set to expire inquiring about their circumstances. They told me that they would contact their insurance company and get back to me. Fast forward about 2 weeks and their temp housing rep contacted me asking to go month to month for less than the agreed upon rental rate.  Of course I said no. I also advised them that we aren't willing to go month to month because my wife and I are planning a trip out of the country for two months and we can't allow the house to sit vacant without renters during this time (and then have to return and spend another month looking for and qualifying new tenants). We offered another 6 month lease at the current rate. They did not agree. So we offered a 4 month lease at an increased rate. They refused and got weird with us. We gave them a deadline to contact us  on or before Friday March 30th 2018 @5:00 pm before we would proceed with notice to quit (even though in Colorado, this is not required when the lease is going to expire anyway). Didn't hear from them. 

We posted the notice on the front door (and took a picture of it) the following Monday. Now the tenants are telling us that they do not intend to move. They even told us that they went to legal aid and that the attorneys there advised them that we have to allow them to stay month to month after the lease expires (which I know isn't true and I told them to have those attorneys contact us).  They also stated that they only need it for 1 to 2 months which will be right in the middle of our trip (this is why we offered a minimum of a 4 month lease renewal). Nowhere in our lease is there a guarantee of a month to month agreement upon expiration of the lease. The only place in the lease where it talks about month to month is in the holdover clause and it states very clearly:

20. Holdover. Tenant must vacate the Premises and remove all of Tenant’s personal property from

the Premises before 11:59 p.m. on the date the Term expires. If Tenant fails to so vacate the Premises,

Landlord may immediately commence eviction proceedings at its sole discretion. If, after the Lease

expires, Tenant remains in possession of the Premises and continues to pay Rent without a written

agreement as to possession (and Landlord accepts such Rent), then the tenancy will be regarded as a

month-to-month tenancy, at a monthly rental of $3250.00, payable in advance, and subject to all the

terms and conditions of the Lease.

We have given more than sufficient notice and we will not accept the rent payment. We've already secured another lease (friends of ours) and we've made it very clear that they must be out by the date and time the lease expires.

So, given the circumstances above here is my question:

If they are still there the day after the lease expires, can I enter the property and take possession without going through a formal eviction process?

If I need to go through the formal eviction process; how long before the lease expires should I start the process OR do I have to wait until the day the lease expires?

How do I encourage them (peacefully) to move out? I don't wish to upset the family but I can't sacrifice my own family's financial well being for their plight. I am willing to offer cash for keys as a last resort but I'd rather get them out by advising them that this will be a costly decision on their behalf and that moving out would be the best option for them. I certainly don't wish to threaten them even though they don't seem hesitant to do that to us.

If they don't move; can I sue them for damages as a result of losing or inconveniencing the other tenants?

For your reference, the property is located in Adams County Colorado. Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

~Joe Senchuk

0Reply
102 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 861 posts · 1k+ votes
8y

If you were a local friend I'd take you out for a beer and then tell you how badly you f'd up.  You ran your rental like a charity and not a business. When I was younger I wondered why my landlords all had hard hearts. Now that I've talked to hundreds of unqualified sh1tbirds like your tenants, I know why.  These kinds of people are going to cause you no end of headache until they are gone. In fact, they might even come back and mess with the property once they are gone. 

The good thing is you learned a very valuable lesson right up front.  If you see what went wrong and take much more care in the future with tenant screening, this will be your "high water mark" for bad experiences.  All of what you say is NOT normal behavior for good tenants.  You were screening but you made all the wrong decisions while screening.  

I'd strongly suggest to get a good management company in place for now. They will know how to get rid of these tenants legally and correctly (probably through cash for keys), and will find qualified new tenants while you are on vacation. They can also handle the turnover, will also keep an eye on the property while it is vacant. 

Also, if you decide to sell, most management companies are also realtors, and can get your house cleaned up and put on the market. 

Otherwise, you dont have to keep the management company when you return, and you will pay for their services and a bit of markup on the turnover, but it would let you back away from all this drama and rest easy while you are on vacation. 

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    To answer your major question, no - you can't just enter and take possession.  You're looking at a formal eviction process if you want them out, which will also go into your vacation time.

    As I see it, you've got a couple of choices.

    1.  Let them stay month to month.  Having dealt with insurance companies in the past, I can say that odds are pretty even as to whether the tenants will give notice while on vacation.  Just because nobody wants to commit to 4 or 6 months, does not mean they won't still be there in that time.  If they do give notice during your vacation, arrange with a friend to arrange the cleaning and repairs for the turnover in exchange for whatever that's worth to you (less than the cost of an eviction, I am guessing).

    2.  In order to get a tenant in, you've got two choices because in Colorado, in order to negotiate a lease and collect money as a property agent, you much be a licensed real estate agent.  However, a friend can certainly show the house.  So, here's what you could do:

        a.  Contract with a licensed real estate agent to show the property, negotiate the lease and collect money while you are out of town.  They don't have to continue the management afterwards.

        b.  Get a friend to show the property, but all lease questions must go through you.  Make arrangements to be available by Skype or Facetime or whatever when the property is being shown so you can answer all lease questions.  Pre-sign a lease so your friend can just gather the new tenant's information and signature on the lease (no negotiating or interpreting the lease!)  Make arrangements to collect the deposit and first month's rent via electronic methods so your friend is not collecting money for you.

        c.  Let the house sit vacant until you get back.

    or

    You could go through the eviction process.  If it's uncontested and goes as smoothly as possible, this will take 5 to 8 weeks, depending on court scheduling and sheriff's scheduling.  Adams County is about 6 weeks, like clockwork.  The sheriff is usually the slowdown as their scheduling is usually about 2-3 weeks out AFTER you've been through court.  The actual court process takes about 3-4 weeks.

    If the tenants contest the eviction or otherwise file a legitimate answer to the eviction, then that extends everything out by a couple of weeks while a hearing is scheduled, etc.

    It's not clear to me why you were so sympathetic to these people at the outset (turning away what could have been a well qualified, long-term tenant?  Oh my.....) but are now talking eviction.  Have they trashed the place?  Violated the lease?  Otherwise generally made your life difficult during their tenancy?  Or is the issue here simply that their possible move out date is an inconvenience to you?

  • Broomfield, CO · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    To answer your question, I allowed them to move in and turned the other tenants away due to my compassion and empathy for their situation. Just trying to be a good citizen and a kind person...

    Also they have been somewhat high impact renters and have even driven on the lawn and over my new sprinkler heads.  I let it go and chalked it up to typical rental issues most landlords have to face (we'll address it with the security deposit).  The main reason I am considering eviction is because they DO NOT have enough income and the insurance company (temp housing agency) has not agreed to our rates and terms. Their tenancy is based on their insurance company paying the rent. Also, we can't allow the house to sit vacant while we are out of the country AND we have new tenants lined up on a 1 year lease. I'm pretty sure that our new tenants (who are friends) will happily let us off but if I have to evict, I'll just sell the place and put it in my realtor's hands while we are gone. I'd just rather not go through the BS but if I have to then things will get more ugly than I'd prefer for these tenants. 

    I was hoping there might be some tips on what I could say to them (in a nice/professional manner) to highly encourage them to just move out while they still have time. 

    Thank you Linda for responding. Much, much appreciated.

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 861 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    If you were a local friend I'd take you out for a beer and then tell you how badly you f'd up.  You ran your rental like a charity and not a business. When I was younger I wondered why my landlords all had hard hearts. Now that I've talked to hundreds of unqualified sh1tbirds like your tenants, I know why.  These kinds of people are going to cause you no end of headache until they are gone. In fact, they might even come back and mess with the property once they are gone. 

    The good thing is you learned a very valuable lesson right up front.  If you see what went wrong and take much more care in the future with tenant screening, this will be your "high water mark" for bad experiences.  All of what you say is NOT normal behavior for good tenants.  You were screening but you made all the wrong decisions while screening.  

    I'd strongly suggest to get a good management company in place for now. They will know how to get rid of these tenants legally and correctly (probably through cash for keys), and will find qualified new tenants while you are on vacation. They can also handle the turnover, will also keep an eye on the property while it is vacant. 

    Also, if you decide to sell, most management companies are also realtors, and can get your house cleaned up and put on the market. 

    Otherwise, you dont have to keep the management company when you return, and you will pay for their services and a bit of markup on the turnover, but it would let you back away from all this drama and rest easy while you are on vacation. 

  • Broomfield, CO · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    I know Nicky... I know... I just want to be a nice guy and now I'm the bad guy. Just business from now on...

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 280 posts · 111 votes
    8y

    I would consult a lawyer immediately and give notice of no renewal of the lease agreement. You are not required to let the lease turn over to mtm. 

    They have seen a lawyer you NEED to get  a lawyer involved immediately for this. 

    And this may be a bit late stop being so benevolent in this business. I have a few rules I don’t bend on at all. 

    1. If you don’t pass my requirements you’re not getting in. I don’t care what sob story you have. And I don’t accept any third party guarantee or payer. 

    My lesson to this #1 rule cost me 62,000 dollars to learn. Haven’t broken that rule in 8 years. 

    My second rule is I do not rent to friends acquaintances family or referrals from friends. I turned away plenty of people I knew. I don’t need the friend or family card to be played. 

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 861 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Rob D.:

    I would consult a lawyer immediately and give notice of no renewal of the lease agreement. You are not required to let the lease turn over to mtm. 

    They have seen a lawyer you NEED to get  a lawyer involved immediately for this. 

    And this may be a bit late stop being so benevolent in this business. I have a few rules I don’t bend on at all. 

    1. If you don’t pass my requirements you’re not getting in. I don’t care what sob story you have. 

    My lesson to this #1 rule cost me 62,000 dollars to learn. Haven’t broken that rule in 8 years. 

    My second rule is I do not rent to friends acquaintances family or referrals from friends. I turned away plenty of people I knew. I don’t need the friend or family card to be played. 

     If you ever get the time, I think typing up the details of the $62,000 lesson would be really interesting to read, and very useful for new folks. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    8y

    "No good deed every goes unpunished."

    These guys are your friends:  THS Law. Call them today. 

    You can try to collect extra rent from them after the lease ends and they refuse to leave.  But unlikely you'll actually collect anything.  Focus on getting them out and getting  your property back.

    You should seriously consider hiring a property manager.  Maybe you'll be lucky and nothing will happen for two months.  But if you do have a problem, are you prepared to deal with it long distance?  Will you be reachable?

    Doubtful that it would take anywhere near a month to find a new tenant here.

  • Broomfield, CO · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Thanks Jon. I'm going to contact THS as soon as I finish this post. 

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 280 posts · 111 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Rob D.:

    I would consult a lawyer immediately and give notice of no renewal of the lease agreement. You are not required to let the lease turn over to mtm. 

    They have seen a lawyer you NEED to get  a lawyer involved immediately for this. 

    And this may be a bit late stop being so benevolent in this business. I have a few rules I don’t bend on at all. 

    1. If you don’t pass my requirements you’re not getting in. I don’t care what sob story you have. 

    My lesson to this #1 rule cost me 62,000 dollars to learn. Haven’t broken that rule in 8 years. 

    My second rule is I do not rent to friends acquaintances family or referrals from friends. I turned away plenty of people I knew. I don’t need the friend or family card to be played. 

     If you ever get the time, I think typing up the details of the $62,000 lesson would be really interesting to read, and very useful for new folks. 

     I’m gonna sit down one day and do it. It was a friend also so it’s a one two hit. If it was family it would of been a trifecta

  • Rental Property Investor · Edison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 753 posts · 565 votes
    8y
    I would hire a lawyer to get these tenants out. Then use a property manager to manage the property. You allowed an unqualified tenant to move in and now you are planning to rent to friends. That is a recipe for a ruined friendship if something does not go as expected with rent payments, repairs, etc. I think you need an agent to help you find a qualified tenant once you get your current tenants out, especially since you will be traveling.
  • Broomfield, CO · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Seems I should clarify "friends".  It's actually our friends son and daughter in law and they have been well notified about our policies and that there will be no exceptions. They are well qualified and have great references too. They know its business.

    Also, I contacted THS as Jon Recommended and we now have legal council in this matter. Thank you for all of the input and advice.  Much appreciated!

    ~Joe

  • Investor · Taylor Mill, KY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 964 votes
    8y

    @Joe Senchuk You mentioned cash for keys. I'd give it a try since your time is limited with getting a tenant in before vacation.

  • Broomfield, CO · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Hey Grant.  What do you think would be a proper sum of cash to offer?  The monthly rent is $3000/mo.  Their rent is paid up for the month.  I was thinking like starting at $800 on the 23rd and then reducing it by $100/day after that. 

  • Broomfield, CO · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    I figured I would follow up on this by summarizing what the attorney from THS Law told me and how I plan to respond to this tenant tomorrow. I can't start the eviction process until the day after the lease expires. As Linda Weygant said, I can't just enter the property and take back possession and the eviction process does (in fact) take about 5-6 weeks in Adams county. Fun, Fun, Fun! Lesson learned... 

    I am going to try to offer cash for keys and even offer some moving assistance (if I need to sweeten the deal).  I don't really have a grasp of how much cash I should offer.  Considering the rent is $3K/mo then I was thinking that I would offer $800 starting 8 days before the end of the lease term and then reducing that sum by $100/day for every day closer to the lease expiration date. They didn't pay the rent, the temp housing company did. Remember, the temp housing agency isn't on the lease and there is no legal agreement between me and the temp housing agency.  I think the $800 will appeal to the tenants even though it would more or less equate to a refund for the days that are already paid for. 

    I am still open for advice and suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe someone else in this forum can learn from my mistake.

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Joe Senchuk so for a rental about $3000 per month, $800 is a joke or an insult. These folks have you over a barrel. They are in a house they can't afford and wouldn't qualify for pretty much any housing of reasonable quality. Quite frankly, your cheapest and quickest route is eviction. Just hope they don't show up and contest it. You can try cash for keys but don't pay one red cent until they hand you the keys. NO Keys No Cash. Anything you pay upfront is additional money you will lose. They have demonstrated who they are, don't think they will do the right thing. 

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 280 posts · 111 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Joe Senchuk:

    Hey Grant.  What do you think would be a proper sum of cash to offer?  The monthly rent is $3000/mo.  Their rent is paid up for the month.  I was thinking like starting at $800 on the 23rd and then reducing it by $100/day after that. 

     I wouldn't offer anything more than their deposit back if they left on the day they were supposed to leave. That would be my only peaceful offer to a tenant I wanted out.  And I have done that once to get a tenant out without having to go through court. 

    Anything after that I would go ahead and file a unlawful detainer. 

    As for renting to friends and or acquaintances I simply won’t do it anymore. Because no matter how many rules you write and they sign when you get to nuts and bolts the friend card comes out.  

    I don’t mix my friendship with business. I refused to rent and always will refuse to rent to family or friends. I didn’t used to.  And I have been asked multiple times by each and I decline. Simply because at some point they will try and use then friend/family card. So I use the shortest most complete sentence in then English language. That’s no thank you. 

    And I screen the heck out of any applicants 

  • Naples, FL · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    You can still be the nice guy in your life. It is always good to do the right thing and have empathy.  I am that way as well, but I have definitely learned to put the hard hat on and just be a businesswoman. In my heart I am kind and outwards, but I will not be messed with.  So, do what you have to do- Don't even let them know you are upset and start on the eviction procedure. You don't need this crap. You were more than kind. I do worry about their high impact and the return condition of your place.    I screen the heck of out my tenants as well. I have (knock on wood) had zero problems with anyone. 

  • Naples, FL · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    And I still think that eviction is the best route at this point. They may be tempted to take that Cash but they have proven to be shady. You are letting them live somewhere they never would be able to. They are not stupid if they are pretending to be. What can they get for the $800...nothing.  Just start the process without them knowing.  Cut your losses now.  If you really want the key for cash, and it fails, just do eviction immediately.  Good luck.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    You are wasting your time trying to find an easy out in this situation. They have had free housing and are not in a position to leave at this time. If they are moving back into a personal home at the end of this they probably don't care about being evicted. Their goal will be to draw this out as long as possible at your expense.

    Eviction will be your best option, make sure you are prepared to start the process on the day after rent comes due.

    Regrettably persons of your personality get eaten alive every day in this business. Highly unlikely you will be able to change your personality. There is zero room for any emotions in this business. You have made obvious mistakes, you do not know your landlord tennat laws and you are now preparing to make another major mistake. Never rent to friends/family of friends.

    It makes absolutely no difference what kind of people your friends may be you never want to rent to their family.  

    Sorry but my opinion is that you will not survive in this business. Zero room for emotions or compassion in business.  Embrace that fact or get out.

    Prepare for eviction, take the loss and decide if you should sell or hire a PM to manage your property as a business.

  • Broomfield, CO · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Thomas, you are making assumptions about me that are completely unfounded and unwarranted. I've been a general contractor for 23 years and have faced my fair share of issues (as every single GC I know does). I've also been a landlord for 11 years and I currently hold 8 rental units. We are currently in the market for a multi unit complex (8 or more units). I am not boasting/bragging but I am a bit offended that you would say such things to me when I seem to be having a nice measure of success in this business.  I didn't get here by being a hard *** with every tenant and client I've worked with.  Yes, there have been some near misses and I have even had to evict a family before. I've just never worked out a problem of this particular nature (every one who has rented from me moved out after the expiration of the lease and the family I evicted was evicted due to default of the terms of the lease... more specifically... marijuana growing in the basement). I did get myself into this one, I understand that. But I am getting it worked out and things are looking pretty good at the moment with this client and I plan to follow up with how things work out in this forum. The good, the bad AND the ugly. I'm exposing my soft underbelly in the hope that it may help others in the BP forum.  I came here for professional advice from like minded professional people who wish to help propel my success the way I wish to help propel theirs. Not to have someone like you condescend to me. 

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    OK so obviously you made a major mistake in judgement. There is zero connection between your past experience and this situation or the fact that you are now considering renting to a friend therefor I assumed the obvious. On the surface you appeared to be not qualified for this business. Your experience may indicate otherwise which makes your decisions impossible for me to comprehend. I do not understand compassion in business and, since you gave no background, you came off as a total nub. Your response to me indicates a high level of sensitivity suggesting a explanation for your decision contrary to your past experience. This makes your position doubly worse and normally I would not hold back. 

    Had you provide more info I may have posted differently, still no compassion however. I will however admit that suggesting you will not survive may be incorrect, and selling is likely not in your plans.

    I will solidly hold to my opinion there is absolutely no place in business for emotions and you may still face a rough road ahead regardless of your past experiences.  Eliminating emotions in no way translates to being a hard*ss. I prefer to thing of it as professional.

    No place in business for emotions. Exposing your soft underbelly .....Probably not good on open forums either since you will encounter people like me that don't give a dam. Put me on ignore.

    Good luck if you end up evicting.

  • Accountant · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 409 posts · 362 votes
    8y

    @Thomas S. I want to travel to Ontario just to buy you a beer every time I read one of your posts. @Joe Senchuk, Thomas is right, you don't have to be a hard ***, just be professional. You've been in the game long enough it seems to know that you should've stuck with the long term tenant 6 months ago and avoided all of this. Also, I'd brush up on your area's landlord-tenant laws if you had to come on here after 11 years to ask if you could just walk in and take possession back without an eviction, against the tenants will. 

    Good luck though. Let us know what happens. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 236 posts · 328 votes
    8y

    @Joe Senchuk this is why they say "no good deed goes unpunished".  You did them a huge favor when they were desperate, and now they want to make your life difficult instead of thanking you and moving on. 

    Reminds me of something I heard once (I think it was JP Morgan) who was talking about how when you do a favor for someone they end up resenting you for it.  He was surprised that someone in his business circle couldn't stand him.  He said "I don't know why he hates me, I've never done anything for him." 

  • Broomfield, CO · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    @Donald S. I understand your perspective and thank you for being candid and not condescending.  I never said I was an expert. I learn like you do.  Have you not made any mistakes throughout your professional career?  I don't pretend to be an expert and I'm ok with that.  I know the old cliche's and I am not trying to argue with anyone. Just don't condescend and act like it is for my own good. Condescending is just... condescending. Even if I was a newbie... is it ok to condescend to someone who is just trying to learn from people who have more experience and knowledge of the subject matter in a forum specifically designed for this purpose? BTW... I've been holding and renting properties for about 11 years but I still consider myself a newbie. Especially compared to a lot of the folks in this forum. I've made other mistakes and learned from them. Everyone else has been able to offer their opinions and help without resorting to condescending remarks. I get it. I made a mistake. I am no attorney. I have never had experience with evicting someone past the expiration of their lease. I already knew the answer but I was hoping someone else knew something different that I didn't and could offer up a hail Mary.  I feel stupid now. Happy? Up to this point things have just gone rather smoothly for me (not perfect... but relatively hassle free with all due consideration to other stories I have heard). I chalk that up to being able to work with my tenants and my kind nature. But don't mistake my kindness for weakness or lack of professionalism in my every day business life.  I know how easy it is to get burned and I always do BG, credit checks and income verification. When we sign the lease, we always go through it line by line and the tenants initial each page. I take other measures too. I even did this with this tenant. Their income is low but they have a clean record and a credit score just over 700 (which is high compared to my other tenants). They even own their own house and a condo that they rent to a friend (don't ask me how because I have no idea and frankly... don't care).  After talking to them yesterday and giving them several options  (including the eviction and the ramifications to their credit and such) and getting inside the property (which surprisingly is in great shape.. just a couple of blinds are messed up)  the tenant changed their tune and even apologized.  I think we have come to a nice agreement... but nothing is for sure until the ink dries and the check is cashed or the keys are finally in my hand.  If I get burned on this, I will put it out here for others to learn. I'll own it and I will learn from it.  But I don't think I or anyone else in this forum deserves to be condescended to regardless of their experience level. I think this is my first post in the 2 years I have been a basic member and I am quite happy with the support I have received aside from the condescending one. I exposed myself and was prepared for the cliche's and some chiding because I deserve it. However, my kind nature ends when someone feels the need to insult me (or anyone else) through their condescending remarks. This is all I am going to say about this. I don't want any problems with anyone and I would like to remain in good standing with BP and its members. I think there is real value in this community. I've learned a lot here but never contributed and I wanted to participate and contribute. I'll update this situation for anyone who cares to follow it as things develop. 

    As far as a property management company. We are just about there. Up until now I've been able to get my guys in for repairs, maintenance and cleaning (many times I do these things myself). But the suggestion to hire a PM is certainly a good one. My other work taxes my time and I really think hiring a group of people who are better versed in landlordology is probably just the way to go. I have been putting this off. I admit it. 

    Thanks for all of your support so far.

  • Eufaula, AL · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    You might check with an Attourney first, but a friend of mine in Atlanta sends a notice he will be working on the front door. He then goes and takes it off the hinges and takes it home, leaving the Home exposed. Or he says he is working on the AC unit and disconnects it. He may do both. They get uncomfortable, enough they move. I don’t know that I have the kahunas for that, but it works for him.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.