Tenants lease is up no longer want them as tenant

4 Replies

Hi all,

My tenants lease is up the 31st of May. I sent the letter asking if they were interested in another lease. 

They have responded yes. My problem keeping this person is, I have been sent Facebook post of her asking for contractors to do work. A video showing a broken fixture left on the foyer floor for the downstairs tenant to clean up. How do I go about letting her no we are no longer interested in keeping her?

Give them 30 day s notice or what ever time your state requires that you are not renewing the lease

I must be missing something. You want to get rid of a tenant that is fixing something they broke?

I understand it sounds like they are fixing up small stuff. But she has broke doors and other similar things.

I have a problem her not letting us know there is a problem and see if we want to be the one to fix it.

Since it is stated in their lease.

@Darla Goodband it sounds like you're not keeping an eye on the tenant. You should be inspecting the property at least once a year to ensure they're taking care of it and you want to keep them around. If able, I recommend inspecting 3-4 months after they move in and then 3-4 months prior to lease termination. If they aren't taking care of it, if they have a lot of lease violations, or if they are not timely with their payments then you should let them know you will not renew their lease. 

Until you have a signed lease, you are under no obligation to renew. Just tell them your plans have changed and you will not renew. Keep it short and professional.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here