Rental questions for soon to be landlord.

Rental questions for soon to be landlord.

Nixa, MO · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 0 votes

Hello all, 

I am rather optimistic about closing on my first investment property within the next 10 days. I am not counting any chickens before the eggs hatch but I believe everything is coming together. With that being said I will be house hacking a duplex. So far this has been a very educational experience with some small hurdles along the way. I have a few questions about book keeping and management. I know not everyone is an attorney or an accountant and I take all information into consideration through my own due diligence. 

My first question is this. I will be self managing this as my first investment to gain experience. I am inheriting tenants and their lease is coming up in July. I plan on putting them through a new application so that I have the experience and also all my i's dotted and my t's crossed. One of the biggest questions I am already asking is about book keeping. I have had a few different ideas as for how I may handle taking rent and holding money such as deposits etc. I really feel like one option is for me to open up a new checking and savings account in my name and handle all money through this account. My real fork in the road comes to an idea I had about sarting my now property management LLC. I would use the LLC to open the bank accounts and have that LLC to have all money pass through. Is this something anyone else has done? What would be the pros and cons for handling it in this manner? Would there be any tax advantages or disadvantages for doing things this way? Should I hire a CPA to get an idea of what to expect for when I file taxes next year?

Next I have come to a point where I am looking at raising the rent for the current tenants when I renew their lease in July. At this moment I will not cover the complete mortgage with the tenant's rent. I still plan on taking out a percentage for repairs, capex, vacancy, and management. This money will go into a savings account for future needs and I will come out of pocket around $500 a month for the remainder of the mortgage. At this point I am looking at this as an investment through equity growth. Eventually after I move to my next deal or property I will cash flow although rents will have to increase. Ive read the book on managing rental properties by @Brandon Turner and have listened to countless podcasts that talk about training your tenants. The one thing I notice with some landlords is that they keep their rates stagnate. I want to get into a system where I train the tenants to understand that increases are apart of the equation. With that being said what are other landlords seeing as a general rule of thumb for rent increases? Are these increases annually or every other year? I know this is probably dictated by many factors and local economics, I would just like to have an idea of what others may practice. 

Aside from those few questions I would absolutely love any advice or bits of knowledge before I officially become a landlord. I am so thankful for this forum and BP. This is such a great wealth of knowledge. My biggest hope is that someday I can help the next guy in line. 

Thanks, 

Anthony Warren

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Simon W.Business Member
Real Estate Consultant · Lehigh Valley PA & New York City · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 664 votes
8y

If you are going to start your mgmt llc, then you need 2 bank accounts and 1 saving.

Mgmt LLC will need a bank account

the Property LLC will need an Operating Checking and Saving (for tenant deposits)

This isn't for tax purposes, but for accounting purposes.

Accounting Properties LLC
View Page
CFO LLC
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Simon W.Business Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Lehigh Valley PA & New York City · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 664 votes
    8y

    If you are going to start your mgmt llc, then you need 2 bank accounts and 1 saving.

    Mgmt LLC will need a bank account

    the Property LLC will need an Operating Checking and Saving (for tenant deposits)

    This isn't for tax purposes, but for accounting purposes.

    Accounting Properties LLC
    View Page
    CFO LLC
    View Page
  • Patrick LiskaPro Member
    Investor · Verona, NJ · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 832 votes
    8y

    Anthony,

     You didn't say if the property is under an llc, if so then @Simon W. is correct about the accounts. if the property is under your name and you are just forming the management llc, then you will need a checking account for that company an account for the security deposits. i recommend separate accounts from your personal account for the business, it helps for many reasons. that said, why do you want to start an llc for the management co ? if you do not have your brokers license then the only property you can manage is your own, no need to set up an llc for that.

     As far as rent increases, it depends on your area and what rent you can get and the market will tolerate. I know where my properties are, if a 2 bedroom apartments rents for $1000/m i can not go in there and raise above the market or ask $1500/m off the bat, i will never get it rented. better to stay with the market and keep it rented then lose the renter and not get anyone in there because you are too high. try and find a local real estate investment club and go to their meeting, pick some brains in your market to see what they do about rents.

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 191 posts · 165 votes
    8y
    Anthony Warren setting up an LLC seems overkill to me when starting out. Not only are you creating a lot more work for yourself but you’ll also need to pay to open and maintain those LLCs to your state and CPAs will typically charge extra for an entity tax return. The main reasons to have an LLC are privacy and liability protection. Your privacy doesn’t really make sense since it’s a house hack and your tenant can easily find out if your the owner. Liability protection doesn’t make sense assuming you had a low down payment and therefore there’s little to no assets to go after for a disgruntled tenant. Just do everything under your own name. saves you money, time, over-complications, and paperwork. You’ll get all the tax benefits whether it’s an LLC or your name.
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    8y

    You don't need to make things so difficult. It boggles my mind when I see brand-new investors talking about setting up an LLC for each property, bank accounts for each LLC, hiring a CPA, developing a business logo, setting up a web site, etc.

    People set up an LLC to protect themselves. You want to know a better way to protect yourself? Learn how to screen. Treat people fairly and in accordance with the law. Deal with bad apples quickly and fairly. Those will protect you 10x more than setting up an LLC or creating a bunch of bank accounts, thinking you can hide from litigation. Many of the people using an LLC (or multiple LLCs) aren't using them properly and are just as vulnerable as if they had never set on up. Focus on the real stuff.

    Get two accounts: checking and renting

    Checking: rent goes in, bills go out. Anything left over after paying bills should be transferred to savings.

    Savings: set aside funds for CAPEX, maintenance, PM, taxes, insurance, or whatever else you planned for. Use this account to hold the tenant's deposit (it belongs to them, not you) in savings and don't spend it.

    Don't mix your personal funds with your investment funds.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.