Allow tenant to have hot tub?

Allow tenant to have hot tub?

Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 1 vote

Hey Guys,

I am a first time landlord and I have a potential tenant who has requested that he install a hot tub in the back yard.  He will agree contractually to be fully responsible for it and any damage it may cause and to return the area to previous condition upon termination of our lease.  Should I allow this with a waiver and deposit?

Thanks,

Heather

0Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y

@Heather Lavergne,

Check with your insurance, they might make the decision for you!      I know ours has told us no pools and no trampolines!

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Heather Lavergne,

    Check with your insurance, they might make the decision for you!      I know ours has told us no pools and no trampolines!

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Thanks!  I got my answer from a previous post and a few phone calls!

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Will it be installed properly on concrete? 

    And this is a "potential" tenant...so a possible applicant? 

    I typically do not like modifications like this, especially right from the beginning. And having a hot tub can be a liability to you if something happens to someone in it even though it's not your hot tub.

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 625 posts · 601 votes
    8y
    I'd never let a tennant have anything like that installed. Talking to your insurance agent was great advice as well.
  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Probably not..... what's the upside to you? is THIS tenant a superstar in every other way that you just HAVE to pick them? Then no.....

    Downside.....liability, damage to the property, complaint from neighbors on noise, having to haul it away when they try and leave it behind when they move etc etc etc.....

  • Stephen RenehanPro Member
    Providence, RI · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 36 votes
    8y

    I echo the sentiments of the previous posts.  Namely, liability and what is your upside?  Furthermore, the costs of removal probably far exceeds your benefits.  I’m sure you will find another tenant without the same demands.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    No I would not allow it, liability is one reason but additionally regardless of what they agree to you will be stuck with the fix up after they move out. Guaranteed every time they leave you the mess.

  • Rental Property Investor · Astoria, NY · Member since 2011 · 16 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    @Heather Lavergne, if you really wanted to consider the request, you might be able to think through the many excellent risks that everyone else has identified (and others) and find a way to minimize them via a combination of, i.e., insurance, contract, up front payment by the tenant (to cover proper installation to your satisfaction), increased deposit to cover the removal costs, and increased rent to compensate you for this very unusual request. 

    However, I highly doubt that the applicant would be willing to cover all of these costs and deposits (along with increased rent to compensate for the accommodation). Additionally, because you are a new landlord, unless you hire a lawyer you are much less likely to think through all of the risks and all of the ways to protect and compensate yourself for the accommodation. 

    I would probably not grant this accommodation myself unless, to @Ned J.'s point, I had a lot of upside in it. 

  • Rental Property Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 953 posts · 910 votes
    8y

    @Heather Lavergne Just curious, what did you decide to do?

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    Having a licensed electrician do the wiring would be my first concern 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Thanks for quick replies!  I said no to this one despite my insurance company not really seeing an issue.  I purposely avoided a house with a pool due to the liability with it and ended up looking at this the same way.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.